Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2020, 07:37 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
We have had our 2019 Sport 22FB for about 10 days, bought new from an AS dealer.

The trailer has a list of issues that are mainly superficial.

The biggest issue that we have is the Exit window leaking. It looks like someone tried to force close the window and tweaked the window frame so the window may never close properly. Since the caulking on the frame to the skin is set with no sign of smearing, it suggests that the window frame was tweaked before being installed. Then someone at AS installed it and once the caulking set, made an attempt to operate the window and discovered that the foam tape was making closing it worse so out that came. The pressure that is on the little plastic thumb levers is tremendous. I can't get them closed fully for fear of snapping them off.

I have suggested to the dealer that a new frame and maybe window looks like the best approach.

Spinning our wheels by trying to make the current one look right is going to take an AS tech days and in the end, they wont be able to fix it without damaging the trailer skin. Maybe with an aluminum stretcher!

It does seem frustrating that this pricey little trailer has such a hack job of a window install and then this went through all the QC and the dealer and no one even tried to open the window. Or perhaps this was noticed and decisions were made to let it go out that way. Maybe the trailer would be sold in Nevada or some place dry and warm and rain will not be an issue (fingers crossed). However, we live and usually camp in a rain forest!

I have my doubts now that someone will actually come and look at it and fix it. Time is passing and I haven't heard from the dealer about the next step.

I am thinking about ordering a new frame and or window and putting it in myself.

I do realize that AS doesn't make the windows or a lot of the other components. They make a nice trailer in many ways and it seems that they may have let the accountants determine the level of customer satisfaction that they want to deliver. Is Airstream all about the bottom line and they source components that make their customers unhappy or will they stand up to poor quality from their suppliers and make some changes??

Sorry about the rant! We do really like the trailer.
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 05:05 AM   #22

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Dripping springs , Texas
Sorry to hear about your issues PB NB , especially on a 10 day old trailer. As someone who has had his share of water leaks in a brand new unit I would suggest trying to give it back to the dealer. We had the dealer replace a new bedroom front window on a brand new 2018 and the water leak became worse. Apparently the way they are built does not usually favor reinstalling major structural components. We were told there was a domino effect of replacing one structural item, such as window, would shift or alter another structural item and so on. I think if you try to do yourself they will try to kill the warranty. Its interesting that the second reply on this thread was from an Airstream rep. Maybe they can try to help you out? good luck
Endmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:50 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2020 19' Bambi
Tampa , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_NB View Post
We have had our 2019 Sport 22FB for about 10 days, bought new from an AS dealer.

The trailer has a list of issues that are mainly superficial.

The biggest issue that we have is the Exit window leaking. It looks like someone tried to force close the window and tweaked the window frame so the window may never close properly. Since the caulking on the frame to the skin is set with no sign of smearing, it suggests that the window frame was tweaked before being installed. Then someone at AS installed it and once the caulking set, made an attempt to operate the window and discovered that the foam tape was making closing it worse so out that came. The pressure that is on the little plastic thumb levers is tremendous. I can't get them closed fully for fear of snapping them off.

I have suggested to the dealer that a new frame and maybe window looks like the best approach.

Spinning our wheels by trying to make the current one look right is going to take an AS tech days and in the end, they wont be able to fix it without damaging the trailer skin. Maybe with an aluminum stretcher!

It does seem frustrating that this pricey little trailer has such a hack job of a window install and then this went through all the QC and the dealer and no one even tried to open the window. Or perhaps this was noticed and decisions were made to let it go out that way. Maybe the trailer would be sold in Nevada or some place dry and warm and rain will not be an issue (fingers crossed). However, we live and usually camp in a rain forest!

I have my doubts now that someone will actually come and look at it and fix it. Time is passing and I haven't heard from the dealer about the next step.

I am thinking about ordering a new frame and or window and putting it in myself.

I do realize that AS doesn't make the windows or a lot of the other components. They make a nice trailer in many ways and it seems that they may have let the accountants determine the level of customer satisfaction that they want to deliver. Is Airstream all about the bottom line and they source components that make their customers unhappy or will they stand up to poor quality from their suppliers and make some changes??

Sorry about the rant! We do really like the trailer.
If you do contact the Airstream Rep, let me know what they say! The only reason why I am not contacting them with my issues is because all they are going to try to do is get you to take it to the dealer for service, and there is no way in hell I am getting it out of my backyard until the current user is done with it. It would have to be a life and death issue.
waikelejake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 09:31 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Framingham , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waikelejake View Post
Of course. My goal for posting was to see if anyone has experienced the same issues with quailty and to shed light on the topic for potential buyers. The only thing I wish I had was owning other brands that I could compare to.
Having owned three other brands over 27 years, you’d be amazed at how much better an Airstream is quality-wise compared to some other brand (SOB). That said, Airstream has plenty of room to improve, particularly in the quality control/inspection department.

Good luck in getting your issues resolved, but as awkward as it may be, you may have to take your trailer to a “5-rivet” dealer/service center for warranty work.
quietguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 09:56 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Kansas , Topeka
Unhappy

Can you thay Thor?
BDowse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:05 AM   #26
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Yep ... problems, problems, problems ... some can be serious - others, well it all depends on one's unrealistic expectations. Even thought it's hard, work on relinquishing them. I have found (as a retired psychotherapist) that you can create rules and beliefs that actually aren't true then support and serve what is unhelpful.

We have a 2004 Intern'l 25 (actually built in September 2003) still has all the oringinal equipment (new tires and water pump don't count ) basically looks like it just came of the factory floor. That does not mean it was perfect, required maintenance has had it's quirks. But the question is how many non Airstreams that are pushing 20 years old do you see out there. These are trailers, hand built by people who suffer from the same issues we all do. They have good days and bad days. When we bought our Airstream we had the same expectation for it we had for our "pre-owned" truck - our 30 year old townhouse, and what my boss had for me when we go married in our 40s - not perfect but love it anyway.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:18 AM   #27
Airstream Trippin

2020 33' Classic
Livingston , Texas
Airstream Quality and Reliability

We have owned several different trailers and a class A Motorhome. All trailers new or used will have an issue no matter who the manufacturer is. We recently purchased a new 33 Classic from Airstream of Tampa and are towing across the U.S.. We call this trip the “Shake Down” trip, to see what will fail, what will need adjusting, repaired or replaced. So far, I have had a few things come loose a speaker stop working, a weird noise coming from the refrigerator fan, steps inadvertently opening while underway and a few blown fuses. Yes it’s annoying but if you keep your witts about yourself, and remember that you are subjecting an aluminum tube on wheels to 60+ mph road speeds in wind, rain, bumps and potholes behind a pick up truck should bring things into perspective. To get a sense of the stress an RV endures hop in the back while under tow and take the ride of your life. Remember, dealers sell the camper they don’t build it, Airstream builds the camper with components that each manufacturer Of the components have warranties to correct problems. New people to the world of RV’ing I think have an expectation of RV ownership being the equivalent to car ownership. ITS NOT! We knew what we were getting into when we took delivery of this BEAUTIFUL AMERICAN MADE ICON! I’m willing to work with everyone and have patience solving whatever issues or challenges arrive. I know there are so many others on this forum who are with me, and who are willing to share their knowledge and experience with me so to help address issues as they present themselves during my ownership. I’m all good with Airstream and our fellow Airstreamers who take the leap of faith for the adventures and challenges associated with owning this America Icon. Keep the faith and patience and everything can be fixed.
Gigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:41 AM   #28
Long time owner

2004 25' Classic
1974 25' Tradewind
1970 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Forrest City , Arkansas
I am sorry to hear about all of the problems that you are having. I have had three Airstreams and one Argosy. Yes, I have had some minor problems over the years but never anything major. These problems do not change the fact that the AS is probably still the best made travel trailer. Even with your problems I do believe that over the years you will end up loving your AS.
doctorlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:58 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Los Gatos , California
Airstream Quality & Rreliability

I echo a comment from someone earlier regarding buying an AS trailer that is a couple of years old and lightly used, that's what I did. I've got a 19' Bambi I bought about 5-6 years ago. It was lightly used and in great shape. I've had none of the issues being discussed. So why am I commenting? I have had some issues come up, one I caused, and fortunately there is a fantastic independent AS service guy outside of Sacramento California, Vinnie's Airstream Repair.

First issue was my fault, I rubbed the back panel of the trailer on a fence post when backing it into place at my home. Most could've lived with it, I could not. The trailer was so perfect, I couldn't stand to see the crease. He repaired it beautifully. A year later my tail lights stopped working. I've rewired my utility trailer and other things, so this is not rocket science, but I couldn't figure it out. I took it to the local RV service shop and they couldn't figure it out either. So I took it to Vinnie, who is 2 hours away. He found the issue, a plug in the wall had shaken loose. He contacted Airstream and they didn't have any solution how he could access that plug and suggested he run new wire harness below the trailer along the undercarriage. Vinnie is a perfectionist, which is great, and didn't like that solution. He went from the inside and removed the bed and the interior wall to access the harness, fixed the issue, and did NOT charge me for the extra couple of hours that solution took, and I can't tell he was in there.

To the person who talked about dead batteries on their AS, I found out the hard way that the power converter that AS installs isn't very good. I'd left my trailer plugged in while not in use for a few months and it basically overcharged the batteries, cooked them. Vinnie educated me on this and told me the model to get via Amazon, WFCO WF8955-REP three-stage charging unit, and that with my skill level I could install it. On Amazon it only had one review and it was only 1 star, but Vinnie said he'd installed hundreds of them and they are good. I trust him so bought it. The installation instructions were minimal, but it was all pretty logical and it took me about an hour to install, and it's working great putting out 13.6 volts and I can now leave my AS plugged in full time when parked at home.

Now if this pandemic would end we could go somewhere! :-)
RyeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 11:05 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Hi waikelejake,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issues you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information, email and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can learn more and escalate it to our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get these things resolved.

Thank you.*
You never got back to me when I sent you my info? Do you really plan on helping people to or just try to appear concerned? Sorry but after working on my 3 year old AS all weekend I get mad about the quality and the service quality I have received. AS are perfect for what waikelejake wants though, never move it. But learn to fix things yourself because the dealers on the west coast will return it for service with more problems and unfinished issues. They also hunt for reasons to void your warranty. Sorry this weekend has made me very bitter and your post means nothing.
ProTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 11:24 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Airstream Quality

Airstream's are like British cars.

"Well .... it is a nice design!' That is a movie quote from a road rally race film in which two old gents try to get their Jaguar started. As the race progresses they flash back to the starting line where the British gents are still trying to get the jag running. One last flash back at the end of the cross country race shows the Jags battery groaning it's last crank of the starter when one old gent turns to the other to the other and says in typical British understatement, "Well .... it is a nice design"
Airstream owner's would do well to adopt the same attitude about their Airstream. Over priced, iffy quality but .... Well ... it is a nice design!!!
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 11:26 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTech View Post
You never got back to me when I sent you my info? Do you really plan on helping people to or just try to appear concerned? Sorry but after working on my 3 year old AS all weekend I get mad about the quality and the service quality I have received. AS are perfect for what waikelejake wants though, never move it. But learn to fix things yourself because the dealers on the west coast will return it for service with more problems and unfinished issues. They also hunt for reasons to void your warranty. Sorry this weekend has made me very bitter and your post means nothing.
Not to defend AS, but reality, Coronavirus restrictions set in place in Ohio?

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 11:38 AM   #33
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTech View Post
Hi ProTech,

One of our representatives has tried to reach out to you a couple of times. If you still need assistance, please send us a message so we can reach out to you again. Thank you.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:54 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Pre Delivery & Shakeout Trip

I'm sorry to hear about your AS issues! That kind of thing infuriates me.

Before picking ours up at the dealer, I asked for things to look for from the great people on this forum. I had a list of over 30 items to look for. Instead of a 1 to 2 hour event, it turned into over 5 hours but it was worth every minute of it. Caught several minor things and even got new batteries before leaving. The trip home came to over 600 miles. and only a couple very minor items when I got back from that. By far better than SOB of trailers we looked at.
All that said, They really need to take care of you!

Good luck!
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:04 PM   #35
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Airstream's are like British cars.

"Well .... it is a nice design!' That is a movie quote from a road rally race film in which two old gents try to get their Jaguar started. As the race progresses they flash back to the starting line where the British gents are still trying to get the jag running. One last flash back at the end of the cross country race shows the Jags battery groaning it's last crank of the starter when one old gent turns to the other to the other and says in typical British understatement, "Well .... it is a nice design"
Airstream owner's would do well to adopt the same attitude about their Airstream. Over priced, iffy quality but .... Well ... it is a nice design!!!
British SAE just declared Motor Oil a liquid.🤓

Bob
🇺🇸

😂😂😂
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17nfm3ls43px4jpg.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	367754  
Old 05-12-2020, 12:16 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Okatie , South Carolina
I'm also not here to defend Airstream. We have a 23D 2017 FC. Did we have warranty issues. Yes, but mostly they were of a minor issues and I repaired most of them very easily. My spouse and I have owned six RVs, and judging and comparing the quality of the six, the 2017 A.S. is as good or better than the previous six. These were a Casita. an Avion (aluminum vs fiberglas), a Hi Lo. a 2004 Airstream 25 Classic and two decent quality less expensive units.

I was a member of the Casita Forum and while Casita is considered a very low tech simple rv of excellent quality, regardless, there were a number of individuals who would raise constant issue with their perceived problems. Some were valid but considering the high number of units Casita produces, it was a very very small percentage of owners. Casita was and is, a very high response company regarding warranty issues but some complainents were never satisfied.

I empathize when any rv owner has serious issues but our experience with two Airstreams has been excellent, especially in regard to Jackson Center personnel and their responsiveness.

We have owned 40 to 50 new auto vehicles of many brands which are built with automation in the hundred of thousands units and this page is not long enough to list the warranty problems we incurred with 50% of these vehicles. Especially several in the last five years.

Nothing is perfect regardless of the cost. If I was as unhappy and disappointed as some owners on this site. I would make decision to cut bait and seek a more suitable endeavor, as life is too short to spend time attempting to fix problems or policies over which I have minimal control or influence.

Just my opinion - not looking for agreement - just saying.
Martinod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:49 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
“It was easily tightened with a screwdriver.”

Really? One would have to be a masochist to be an Airstream dealer. I think that if I were a dealer that I would insist that I would only sell a trailer to buyers who were willing to employ a full time travel valet. I’ve spent a lifetime around Porsches and *every* car I’ve ever had experience with, old or new, required a degree of sorting. It’s actually part of the fun, a way to gain some knowledge and get to know and bond with your vehicle. It’s way more fun to be an enthusiast than a disgruntled consumer.

Make it part of your up front negotiations. Refer to the fact that you read this forum and that you are well aware that any new trailer that you buy will require sorting that won’t be detected until it’s used. Negotiate a discount. If they refuse because they easily sell every trailer that they get, then they have you over a barrel. And if you say OK then it is what it is. Probably time to move on to an Artic.

Cheers,
John

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled. ~ Robert Frost
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 01:14 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

Crockett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by John&Vicki View Post
“It was easily tightened with a screwdriver.”

Really? One would have to be a masochist to be an Airstream dealer. I think that if I were a dealer that I would insist that I would only sell a trailer to buyers who were willing to employ a full time travel valet. I’ve spent a lifetime around Porsches and *every* car I’ve ever had experience with, old or new, required a degree of sorting. It’s actually part of the fun, a way to gain some knowledge and get to know and bonding with your vehicle. It’s way more fun to be an enthusiast than a disgruntled consumer.

Make it part of your up front negotiations. Refer to the fact that you read this forum and that you are well aware that any new trailer that you buy will require sorting that won’t be detected until it’s used. Negotiate a discount. If they refuse because they easily sell every trailer that they get, then they have you over a barrel. And if you say OK then it is what it is. Probably time to move on to an Artic.

Cheers,
John
i did about 3 months of basic travel trailer forum research before I bought my new AS. Funny thing is, a large percentage of the travel trailer population deal with problems. I can remember reading from lots of non-AS brand forum members telling others that they should just buy an Airstream, or “I know it’s not as good as an Airstream...but”.
Shane74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 02:10 PM   #39
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
What percentage of owners have no complaints on the Airstream body itself. Most complaints are about appliances and components from outsources. Often, the outsources have monopolies on their components so there is no incentive to improve. Even after a three month trip to Alaska I had very few problem.
however, now that Airstream is in place in their new factory, I would expect quality to improve significantly on the components they actually manufacturer. As for the out sources the RV industry needs more competition. Get manufacturers out of China and back to the USA.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 03:22 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by waikelejake View Post
If you do contact the Airstream Rep, let me know what they say! The only reason why I am not contacting them with my issues is because all they are going to try to do is get you to take it to the dealer for service, and there is no way in hell I am getting it out of my backyard until the current user is done with it. It would have to be a life and death issue.
I think we have some basic expectations about the simplest things like; a new trailer that doesn't leak! I will update this thread with anything that comes my way for sure.

I would expect that over time (many years), I would be chasing down some leaks from the plumbing or the roof, but never expected to start leak repairs on the drive home from the dealer.

I await the next step from the dealer but the water is coming in whenever it rains which I feel is causing more damage to the interior wood beneath it. I need to remove the mattress to protect it from water damage as well. Out comes the poly and duct tape to cover the window opening! I will use aluminum coloured tape so no one will notice!

I can see that there are many owners of newer trailers with similar levels of frustration or dissatisfaction. This is concerning me.

On a positive note, we are hoping to get a name plate for the trailer but haven't decided on a name yet but "LEAKY" comes to mind
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote