Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2020, 03:39 AM   #81
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Clovis , California
Thor Industries...
blahargoue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:10 AM   #82
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinshort View Post
Just bought a 2020 Interstate and had the same expectations of the brand.. and am experiencing the same disappointment. If you'll start digging you'll see some silly cost-down stuff all over it. The AI business model seems stuck in no mans land.. super premium brand positioning.. premium pricing.. typically one dealer per state that they force to adhere to certain standards.. but they don't understand premium service. The notion that you're going to ship a cost-down product out into the field at a premium price and then expect customers to tolerate the typical trash service experience just doesn't add up. It's a formula for a bunch of first-time buyers.
Hi justinshort,*

Please send us a direct message with your contact information, email and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can learn more about your experience. We look forward to hearing from you.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customersupport@airstream.com

Thank you.*
Old 05-21-2020, 11:25 AM   #83

2018 Basecamp
Salt Lake City , Utah
Waikelijake,
Since your goal in posting is to, "shed light on the topic for potential buyers" I will contribute. We purchased a 2018 Basecamp brand new in Utah ( I'll let you figure out which dealer that might be) and have had multiple issues over two years of ownership requiring approximately ten visits for correction. I don't expect everything to be perfect, and these trailers are very far from being much better than other brands we've owned, but my real disappointment was how poorly we were treated at the dealership and the fact that when we finally felt the need to reach out directly to Airstream they wouldn't even call me back. I filled out all their surveys post purchase and yet still no direct contact or response. We really like the Basecamp and have used it extensively for multiple week trips across the entire country. Everywhere we go we are asked about it and unfortunately now we have to be honest with everyone who asks us about it. We love the design, but if we had it to do over we would not purchase an Airstream. We have moved on at this point and will deal with any future issues with independent service dealers or on our own as it's not worth the hassle and frustration to deal with the Airstream dealer or Airstream directly.

I hope by chiming in I am helping someone else make an informed decision.
utrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 02:21 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
It's sort of a strange feeling of utter disappointment and frustration that all your months or years of research and decision making that led you to buying your new Airstream turned out to be a bad choice!

We felt so bad with the notion that we bought a lemon and sense of helplessness that we weren't going to get taken care of. We can't even go to Jackson Center, Ohio because the border is closed!

Once the dust settled and I was able to stop the water from coming in on ours, I was able to tweak a few things and started to feel a bit better about the whole experience.

We chose to buy ours from a dealer that is half a days drive away and 3 tanks of gas (lots of mountain passes). We felt more confident with this dealer and even their desire to help fix the leak was good but since I was able to stop the water, we haven't had the need to have anyone look at it yet.

We do have a list of things but mostly superficial cosmetic things that wont destroy the trailer or our sanity.

We did take the trailer out for a few days and put it through its paces. We tried all the systems and everything worked! We thought it was Christmas!

The way I am looking at our Airstream experience now is tempered with some acceptance that the structure is really what Airstream is all about, the stuff they buy and put into the trailers can vary (ours got the bottom of the barrel stuff) but those items will probably break and need replacing over time. The base trailer in my limited opinion is a sound investment. They don't make most of the systems, Dometic does so there is a third party involved in your level of satisfaction.

Our little LG and Boss dvd system really sucks so I will replace it with something better. Things like this will come up and be corrected with time. I have to remind myself that I didn't buy the trailer for the dvd system.

We do have to rely on Airstream to install these components correctly so we get the best opportunity to enjoy them before ripping them out and replacing them.

On a side note, I am really amazed at how well it tows which is feature of the Airstreams weight distribution and shape. These are some of the intrinsic values that come with an Airstream that you don't get with most other trailers.
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 02:29 PM   #85
2 Rivet Member

West Palm Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiwvu View Post
There is a way better option. GO TO JACKSON CENTER. You do have to get on the schedule way ahead of time, although I think they make time available for new/warranty repairs. Their service Is impeccable, they have free full hookup sites on site, you can sleep in your camper while they work on it... they come pick it up in the am and put it back in the evening..

I honestly did not know that they have hookups on site and will let you stay in the trailer overnight as they work on it. That honestly makes me a lot more likely to make the trip. The thought of bringing the trailer up and then having to figure out lodging gave me a headache. Maybe I could work remotely for a week or two and visit the service center before my warranty runs out...
Old 05-21-2020, 02:56 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper Ash View Post
I honestly did not know that they have hookups on site and will let you stay in the trailer overnight as they work on it. That honestly makes me a lot more likely to make the trip. The thought of bringing the trailer up and then having to figure out lodging gave me a headache. Maybe I could work remotely for a week or two and visit the service center before my warranty runs out...

It’s free too. Very convenient. We have had great experiences at JC both times we passed through. We found the best pizza spot in a neighboring town too that is worth the stop as well.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:56 AM   #87
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
townsend , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper Ash View Post
It is a great service, but right now (at least 2 weeks ago) the campground (spaceport) is closed. You can dry camp in the parking lot in front of the service bays. There are a few extension cords, but not enough to go around. There is a dump station and you can get water inside the service bays during the day (if you show up the day before, be sure to bring what water you will need for overnight).

Two other notes about the campground: (1) $10/night if you're not getting service, and (2) first come first served.

They did not say when the campground would reopen. I'm sure they're following the OH State guidelines.
BryonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:11 AM   #88
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Stuart , Florida
Airstreams are definitely the best & nicest 10 year old trailer you will see

Might as well say best 20, 30, 40 year old trailer

I don't know of a better built trailer than Airstream
Denny Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:51 AM   #89
3 Rivet Member

2021 19' Caravel
Wilderness , MO
Denny Arnold,

True, that.
jfreeham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:19 AM   #90
3 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
2006 16' International CCD
Front Range , CO
I purchased my new 19 FC in anticipation of starting my retirement by visiting as many national parks and doing interesting things along the way for the next year or so.

The pandemic has put a hold on my plan. Hopefully just temporarily.

I had previously owned a 16 CCD. So, I knew there was going to be lot's of little things that would need fixing along the way. I accepted the fact that my new Airstream would keep me busy and let me tinker as I went along.

Unfortunately, the issue with my new Airstream is a little out of the ordinary. But, I'll muddle my way through because I don't find any other manufacturer's product appealing.

For fun I went over to the Jayco Owners forum and typed "disappointed" in the search bar. Hahahahahaha.
trailerpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:22 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I believe it true that most posts are about failures.... while most success stories are silent.

We LOVE our AIRSTREAM even tho’, like anything else mechanical, some things wear-out, sometimes fail, are not the design we’d like to re-invent (as long as someone else spend their treasure building it and then GIVES it to us.)

I don’t ever plan to own SOB piece of trash after discovering there is no perfection in RVs. I own the better-of-the-types.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 05:03 PM   #92
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Graford , Texas
Airstream quality

We bought a 2020 23’ Globetrotter and had a huge list of things that were wrong. Over 3 months in the shop. Leak in front window which soaked a mattress and the list goes on. Yes it was all fixed but after spending that much money we were highly disappointed.
Quiltermimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:31 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiltermimi View Post
We bought a 2020 23’ Globetrotter and had a huge list of things that were wrong. Over 3 months in the shop. Leak in front window which soaked a mattress and the list goes on. Yes it was all fixed but after spending that much money we were highly disappointed.
Who on this forum wouldn't be? It is good to hear that you got it fixed Quiltermimi. I hope you are enjoying your beautiful Airstream now.

It is difficult to talk about someone else's problems with products and, Airstreams are expensive products. The best, as Ray Ekland said, that we can do, is be like a "Trailer Family" and focus on solution.

Some issues I have seen on the forum are third party product- stove, water heater, etc. It can be the product or install. All one can do is break it down to where the issue originates and go from there. If the trailer is leaking, install from factory, sink falls out, etc, that is definitely Airstream not getting it done properly. Don't kid yourself into thinking that price tag means no issues exist. It is a product.

As far as used buyers' fears go, I bought my Safari seven years ago. I joined this forum before that and as I ventured into the ownership journey I was freaked out at some of the posts of rotting floors, leaking walls and burning AC units. As a matter of fact, I got so nuts about my floor that I was feeling soft spots! I literally took a carpet knife to the vinyl and started tearing it open to view the wood floor. Some things I read about, that Safari floors were MDF not plywood, that swelled when wet etc. I learned quickly were not true. My floor was plywood, dry plywood with no stains, etc. I noted the black around the edge of the floor- some sort of treatment and I paid especially close attention to the rear where I was told Safaris rotted often- nada rot. The soft spots? My imagined worry. The slight dip I felt? simply floor seam settling. It is my opinion that overall, the Airstream is built well. There are some things, I remember walking around in a 27' at Tampa Super show and the floor was not fastened in the bedroom. It popped like a utility shed being hit with a ball! Inspect as best you can- the same for any brand.

I had a missing rivet on the roof and I have filliform corrosion but that is also more of a what it is and maintenance issue. I do not believe that Airstream skimps on particular trim levels. Perhaps in particular years they may have used MDF as I have seen a video of an MDF floor on an International being replaced but again, I learned the hard way that blanket thought on a trim level is not accurate. My wood is exposed in my storage bins on purpose now and I have made the "weld look" with sealant at my beltline as per Vinnie in CA for protecting the floor- not pretty outside but functional.

I believe that buying an Airstream, an owner enters into something beyond mere "use and toss" product mentality somewhat foreign to modern thought- like a hobby or a pet rock! It requires maintenance and even machine work.

Throw design betterments to Airstream. I still believe some of my comments on Airforums had something to do with their creation of the 26U. I just haven't shelled out the $$$ for a trade! My brother, so impressed with my Airstream, somehow ended up as one of their models on the Caravel series a few years ago! Geez!
Old 05-23-2020, 06:43 AM   #94
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Stuart , Florida
If you want to see junk trailers, there are plenty of them out there. They are priced 1/3 to 1/2 the price of airstrips.

That's what most folks buy when sticker shock from airstream prices scares them off.
Denny Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:01 AM   #95
1 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
SAINT AUGUSTINE , Florida
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrady62 View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your AS issues! That kind of thing infuriates me.

Before picking ours up at the dealer, I asked for things to look for from the great people on this forum. I had a list of over 30 items to look for. Instead of a 1 to 2 hour event, it turned into over 5 hours but it was worth every minute of it. Caught several minor things and even got new batteries before leaving. The trip home came to over 600 miles. and only a couple very minor items when I got back from that. By far better than SOB of trailers we looked at.
All that said, They really need to take care of you!

Good luck!
Would you happen to have that list available? I would love to have something that might go beyond the pre-delivery inspection checklist the dealer may, or may not, have performed prior to my arrival. I'm picking up my 25FBT in two weeks.
Apexbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 12:46 PM   #96
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Should we demand that Airstream perform inspection checks and sign the form before selling each of them?

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 01:17 PM   #97
2 Rivet Member

West Palm Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexbasher View Post
Would you happen to have that list available? I would love to have something that might go beyond the pre-delivery inspection checklist the dealer may, or may not, have performed prior to my arrival. I'm picking up my 25FBT in two weeks.

For what it’s worth - I’ll post a few of my concerns below. I believe I could have caught many of the issues that I have if I took the time to thoroughly go through the trailer. The tech doing to delivery walkthrough was so confident and informative that I trusted that everything was perfect. Check into the following:

- Weather seals at the doors and windows; if the trailer is brand new and just arrived to the dealer from Jackson Center, some of the weather seals may not be fully adhered to the window or door frame. We noticed some of them falling off as we opened our rear hatch door and a window. Simple fix, but can save you some time later.

- Main door fitment; it’s common for the main entry door to need adjusting. Open and close it many times to feel it out. If it feels too hard to close, ask them to adjust it. They’ll give you the old “It’s supposed to close firm like a bank vault.” But you shouldn’t need to slam the door to get it to latch and close. In our case, the striker bolt needed an adjustment.

- Sharp hole in aluminum LP cover where electrical cords run to tongue and hitch; I’ve read about cords getting cut up over time. A simple adjustment or the addition of some sort of protective padding in this area can help. I plan on taking care of this issue before our next trip.

- Windows; check operation of all windows. We have a bent window strut that prevents us from opening the window.

- Cabinet hinges and latches; we have a cabinet that was not completely installed... one of the hinges were missing.

- Fitment of exterior lights; our rear street side tail light is crooked... it was installed at a slant. Doesn’t affect function but looks goofy. Also check fitment on clearance marker lights, some of ours are not flush with the aluminum and caused a rain leak.

- Missing or damaged rivets; we have a few that are not connected to the frame or ribs inside of the trailer, causing the aluminum to move or flex a little more than it should. Repairing rivets is part of ownership but it’s worth taking care of any that need attention at delivery if you have the time to thoroughly look over the trailer.

My advice is to assume everything needs to be looked at and ask the dealer to let you spend a few hours playing around. We rushed through the delivery and went straight for a campground back home... then we found many of the problems.

Good luck and congrats!
Old 05-27-2020, 01:53 PM   #98
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Crewe , Virginia
I like my 44 year old beauty. She's not perfect, but she's mine and the things I get to repair, rebuild, and replace only make my partnership with my AS more meaningful!
Dspchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:12 PM   #99
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Erwin , Tennessee
Unhappy to hear that my experience is not an outlier. From day 3 i have issues. Emailed questions to airstream no response. Dealer experience was worst sales experience of my life (AS of Tampa). I have an entire electrical circuit out, door wont shut, on of my windows wont stay open because arm either warped or mis installed, and a few areas of clear lack of craftsmanship, such as the
Outside cover on water heater completely askew. I live 250 miles from an AS dealer. I am beside myself with anxiety. I feel i screwed up.
NCTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:12 PM   #100
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
I have the same problem with my outside cover on the water heater. The cover looks to be too close or the vent sticks out too far and prevents the cover from closing. Looks pretty bush league!

My dealer suggested trimming the vent duct by about a 1/4" inch to let the cover sit more flush. I am tempted to do that but concerned about blowing my Dometic warranty.
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote