Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2007, 07:25 PM   #61
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger
Any sense from Mr. McVaney of what Airstream is really trying to accomplish with this survey? Just wondering if is to assess the feasibility of branding more foreign made trinkets with their name? To actually tackle quality control issues?
I doubt Mr. McVaney knows what Airstream will do with the data he collects - for that matter I doubt that Airstream really knows what they will do with the data.

We talked a bit about branding and I brought up the obvious example of Harley Davidson as their cross marketing ventures have been quite successful. But the first step of Harley's revival was quality control.

Not many people were willing to pay a little more to buy a crappy product. But it turned out that a lot of people were willing to pay a lot more for a motorcycle that had Honda quality and Harley Davidson feel, sound, and mystique.

I have no interest in Airstream trinkets and said so in my survey responses. But I would LOVE for Airstream to be a position five years from now similar to where Harley Davidson is today - to be able to leverage a reputation for quality, adventure, and Americana into selling everything from keychains to Fords. Because without a good reputation Airstream can't cross market.
ljmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 07:47 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
I think it is ironic that Airstream likes to brag about the percentage of all the trailers they have built being on the road today, but doing very little to support the trailers and the owners that make that number a reality.
They also fail to realize that many of us with vintage trailers who are already proven Airstream fans may consider a new trailer at some point and a lot of good will is lost when they ignore the vintage tin. I must admit, though, it seems the JC Service Center does a fair bit of trade with the vintage group and in turn treat them very fairly, or am I making an assumption there.....

Barry
Old 10-22-2007, 07:52 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Other Misses

Yeah, they didn’t seem real interested in me either. My comments included something they had overlooked completely. I had very recently purchased an owner’s manual, a shop manual, and some other Airstream products online from their website. There was not a single question about their website. Sort of a glaring oversight in today’s market.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:11 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
They also fail to realize that many of us with vintage trailers who are already proven Airstream fans may consider a new trailer at some point and a lot of good will is lost when they ignore the vintage tin. I must admit, though, it seems the JC Service Center does a fair bit of trade with the vintage group and in turn treat them very fairly, or am I making an assumption there.....

Barry
Exactly, Barry. But I don't know what Airstream does at Jackson Center, if anything, for the vintage group. This is something I addressed in the survey. Nothing on their website (old or new) indicates they service vintage trailers or provide any type of resources for vintage whatsoever. I may be pleasantly surprised if I called and talked to the service department, but would I be told anything different than the tech here that was trying to help me? If Airstream provides services or resources for vintage owners, they should advertise it. That's Marketing 101.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:33 AM   #65
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Maybe Airstream inc. is smarter than we are all giving them credit for. Maybe they spent a pile of money on Keith and his marketing study, but they are reading what is being said here for free. Maybe they are listening and we don't even realize it. Maybe us old guys with our old trailers are just wanting to be a part of this survey and feel disappointed in not having a more active roll in something we are all so passionate about. A whole bunch of maybes and none of us know for sure. I would be willing to bet a buck though, that the point of the survey is to figure out how to "Capitalize" on the Airstream name. They have a lot to work with, due to all the passion that Airstream owners have for their trailers. All that passion has translated into rolling advertisement for the company. Only one thing turns a head like an Airstream, and last time I checked, public nudity was not allowed in this country. The vintage community has been there to keep the brand alive and shining bright. Believe me, Airstream inc. is very aware of the vintage community. Maybe they have not promoted it at Jackson Center because the vintage community tends to do most of the work themselves. Maybe the vintage side has not been promoted because the vintage units do not need to be worked on as much as the newer ones. Maybe, maybe, maybe... Maybe Keith will post again and put all this to rest. Or maybe he won't so he can glean more info for free. Maybe I will see an Airstream T-shirt at a local Walmart real soon... that would be if I even stepped into that store. Be proud of your units folks and don't stress over some survey, stress over the fact that the rally season is close to the end for the year. I plan to stress over the fact that I am about to remove all the plumbing from Anna today.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:45 AM   #66
3 Rivet Member

Airstream has a Service Center that does restorations,frame repair,floor repair,metal repair,curtains and plumbing to name just a few.Airstream has approximately 90,000 part numbers in their`system. They have metal,segments and windows available back to the early 1970's. Airstream Customer Service responds to approximately 400 e-mails and calls a week relating to pre-2000 model year trailers. Airstream's goal is to support current models as well as earlier model years. Airstream does not take owners of vintage units as lightly as what seems to be portrayed.
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:39 AM   #67
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn
Airstream has a Service Center that does restorations,frame repair,floor repair,metal repair,curtains and plumbing to name just a few.Airstream has approximately 90,000 part numbers in their`system. They have metal,segments and windows available back to the early 1970's. Airstream Customer Service responds to approximately 400 e-mails and calls a week relating to pre-2000 model year trailers. Airstream's goal is to support current models as well as earlier model years. Airstream does not take owners of vintage units as lightly as what seems to be portrayed.
You are correct. They do have a limited supply of replacement parts for vintage trailers. However, it is very limited, especially when it comes to specialty, but important items like door locks ( that break easily) cerain windows, glass etc. Most curved segments are no longer available, I was told.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:11 AM   #68
3 Rivet Member

1970 and newer segments are available -these are for the front and rear end shell panels.There are not any dies to make some of the 60's panels.Prior to that all panels were made out of flat metal and cut from patterns. The only door lock that is not available is the one the manufacturer went out of business and destroyed the dies. The availability of parts is a bigger issue now since more airstreamers are resurrecting the older models, at one point there was only a small demand for these parts. As everyone knows holding non-moving inventory has a cost penalty and a space penalty. Being a small company with a product that was manufactured a several sites over a 76 year period comes with some issues like each facility adding there own touches to the models being built. I agree it would be nice to have any part that someone needs but not with the part that Airstream pays no attention to vintage owners. Every Airstream trailer ever made is part of a 76 year tradition of fun,travel and adventure.
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:17 PM   #69
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
1970 and newer segments are available -these are for the front and rear end shell panels.There are not any dies to make some of the 60's panels.Prior to that all panels were made out of flat metal and cut from patterns. The only door lock that is not available is the one the manufacturer went out of business and destroyed the dies. The availability of parts is a bigger issue now since more airstreamers are resurrecting the older models, at one point there was only a small demand for these parts. As everyone knows holding non-moving inventory has a cost penalty and a space penalty. Being a small company with a product that was manufactured a several sites over a 76 year period comes with some issues like each facility adding there own touches to the models being built. I agree it would be nice to have any part that someone needs but not with the part that Airstream pays no attention to vintage owners. Every Airstream trailer ever made is part of a 76 year tradition of fun,travel and adventure.
Your post reads as though you're working for Airstream...true?
Old 10-23-2007, 12:30 PM   #70
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Anyone else remember this?

Quote:
Airstream does not take owners of vintage units as lightly as what seems to be portrayed.
I recall a comment reported here (maybe directly quoted) about a year or so ago that was made by an AS executive. If my memory serves me correct, he said something to the effect that vintage owners weren't buying new units so who cares about them. If I get time and bored enough I will see if I can find the quote. I think this was about the same time AS was going after anyone using the term Airstream anywhere. Of course, my memory may be wrong or the statement misrepresented, but I don't think either is the case.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:36 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
I recall a comment reported here (maybe directly quoted) about a year or so ago that was made by an AS executive. If my memory serves me correct, he said something to the effect that vintage owners weren't buying new units so who cares about them. If I get time and bored enough I will see if I can find the quote. I think this was about the same time AS was going after anyone using the term Airstream anywhere. Of course, my memory may be wrong or the statement misrepresented, but I don't think either is the case.
Rodney,

I believe that the quote came from the former marketing guy at Airstream and it is in one of the Airstream books.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:49 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Your post reads as though you're working for Airstream...true?
I'd say that's a safe bet and, if so, I'm really glad there's someone from Airstream that cares enough to read the forum and listen to the issues.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:32 PM   #73
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger
I'd say that's a safe bet and, if so, I'm really glad there's someone from Airstream that cares enough to read the forum and listen to the issues.
Yeah, absolutely.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:33 PM   #74
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
We Heard back!

We have heard back from them and I have had two very nice phone conversations with a represenative for the company doing the follow-up of the survey. The gentleman is actually coming to visit us later this week!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:37 PM   #75
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Of course their reading the forums, their livelihood relies on it. It is also good to know that if I buy a younger trailer, I might get parts easier than bidding on ebay or begging my unit members... I have my eyes on a 1949 Tradewind. Are there parts for it?
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:57 PM   #76
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
......They have metal,segments and windows available back to the early 1970's. .......
Well, yes and no. I needed a piece of glass for the outer curbside wing window in my '73 Overlander. The glass is not available. But the entire window assembly is available for around $450--you can't buy just the glass. It would be nice if Airstream would offer just the glass, wouldn't it?. I'll bet that could be produced for much less money and (I know this from experience) would be MUCH easier to install than the entire frame/glass assembly.

Just my 2 cents.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:02 PM   #77
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi
We have heard back from them and I have had two very nice phone conversations with a represenative for the company doing the follow-up of the survey. The gentleman is actually coming to visit us later this week!
Has anybody that owns only a vintage Airstream been contacted? Seems the few contacts that have been made were to owners of newer models.

JIm

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:06 PM   #78
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
Has anybody that owns only a vintage Airstream been contacted? Seems the few contacts that have been made were to owners of newer models.

JIm
Not me. Seems the contacts are concentrated to the eastern part of the country, and to newer units.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:12 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:

The only door lock that is not available is the one the manufacturer went out of business and destroyed the dies.
Which door lock is this? Is it the lock used on the classic motorhomes?

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:13 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Nope, for us that indicated "other" in the model catergory are in the delete file!
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote