Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2018, 09:56 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
Malibu , California
Airstream in Kauai?

Hi- I am new to this site. We are thinking about purchasing a 2004 22' Airstream International to ship to Kauai to live in while my husband builds our house. The land is very close to beach. Do you know if humidity/ rains/ salt air are ok or is it too much for the trailer? Also, if it IS ok, any thoughts on shipping from Los Angeles would be appreciated- mahalo!
ZumaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 01:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
I used to live on Ohau. I can't imagine the shipping charges, but I did know folks that shipped boats there. Once there I can't imagine towing it around much.

The airstream with its multitude of windows would work well in the climate lifestyle I lived in. Our lanai didn't have windows just screens. The papasan chair, TV and other furniture items didn't have any problems. But Kauai I don't know. Where I was 40% humidity and the locals were complaining. Compared to Georgia 40% is nothing.

What is the local codes for Kauai? I don't think trailers were allowed on Ohau.

Most airstreams come painted with automotive clear coat. That helps. If you get regular salt spray..........kona not so much but windward lots......you'll have to wash it or face salt corrosion. What are you going to do with it after the house is built?
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 02:49 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Malibu , California
Thanks so much for your input! It's fine to have on lot while we build. Once house is done, we'll either use for guests or rent out- we'll see. We are really looking forward to being on Kauai- my husband's from NZ/ Polynesian, so it already feels like home! Thank again. :-)
Old 05-04-2018, 03:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
HI Zuma Mike. Welcome to Airforums.

I'm a long time Kauai guy myself, love it there.

There are distinct areas on the island some not well suited to healthy airstream maintiance. Others could be pretty doable.
The south and west sides would be mostly ok unless right on the water. The east and northeast sides well Mauka ( toward the mountain) could be pretty good too. The east and north sides near the water are very salty.

I lived in Haena for many years, and it is enveloped in a cloud of ehukai (Sea mist) most of the winter months, with lots of wind blown salt in the strong trade times the rest of the year.

It is magical there, you will probably love being there. Water sports activity is a key to enjoying Kauai.

I'd be happy to comment if you would like to share where on Kauai you are settling. You lucky folks!

I do know of one old classic airstream motorhome tucked away on a farm in moloaa.

Have shipped vehicles each way, about $1,100 for a car last time about four years ago. Would expect about $2,000 for a 22' trailer.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 12:05 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Malibu , California
Mahalo

Thanks so much, Richard, for your information- We are actually moving to Haena! Land is next to Hanalei Colony Resort. Hoping to be self- sufficient w/ garden/ fishing boat & hopefully our trailer. Just don’t want to get it there and find any surprise challenges. Our 5 & 8 yr old boys can’t wait! Thanks again.
Old 05-05-2018, 05:13 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Wow, that's close to home! Our place is just accross from the YWCA camp, on the Mauka side. My ex and boys are still there.

I hope you know that the road is still closed from the big storm a few weeks ago.
They have got one lane open for limited use now. Workers and service trucks, plus a shuttle bus alowing residents some access till the long term repairs are completed. May be a few months yet.

There is a vintage Aloha trailer right in the neighborhood there. It's been painted so less corision issues to deal with.

Hanalei school is great, school after that is a challenge from Haena.
It's particularly wonderful in that part of the island, very end of the road tho.

I'll pm you my contact info. I'd be happy to do what ever I can to help you in getting settled in there.

Aloha Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 04:55 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Malibu , California
Kia ora, Richard- you're right- it really IS a small world! With connections in NZ, Malibu (where we are now) & Kauai! Btw, are you in FL? Years ago, I actually lived on a boat there too! Anyways, thanks for telling us about the rains/ damage. Luckily, our land has good drainage and is ok. Our foundation contractor, Jay, said it should be fine to start in August, so we'll see. Would love to have a chat with you. Still planning on getting the 22' CCD Airstream- do you by chance know if a Toyota Tacoma/ V6 is strong enough to tow it? Also, what sort of musician is your friend? Our boys play violin and I'm hoping there is someone who can help with that. Oh, and school-wise, I'm a credentialed teacher and am homeschooling our boys, which has been amazing. Now we'll add 'how to build a house' to their curriculum. Hope you are doing well- glad that's we've connected. Renee & Michael
Old 05-06-2018, 06:57 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
We have been Kauai visitors for about 20 years, now with a few weeks of timeshare and some friends on the island too. Despite the allure of that shiny aluminum look I would consider a plastic/fiberglass body if you will be in an area like Tevake mentioned. Our friends lived on top of the ill behind Kapa'a so no heavy sea breeze and less corrosion issue. OTOH it will look really cool there.