Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2021, 09:47 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 28' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Airstream Delivery Delays

I was told when I bought my AS last year that I would have it in early February. In January they told me that it would be mid February before it was shipped from the factory. I checked today and they are now saying they don’t know when it will start being assembled. I understand that certain parts are hard to get but you would think they would have a better idea of a reasonable schedule. Is anyone else experiencing these delays or is it just me?
Pappy3393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 09:59 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
We bought our 27' FC in October and it came off line last week. I was concerned about supply issues too but looks like we got lucky. Hope your delay isn't too bad.
MMatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 06:41 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2021 28' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Got my Flying Cloud 28 yesterday and paired it up with a new RAM HD truck. I only went about 30 miles to my house but the AS and TV I purchased drove like a charm. I also have a ProPride hitch. Thank you to everyone on this forum for your guidance and help in selecting a perfect setup. The adventure begins.
Pappy3393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 06:31 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
York , Maine
Delivery of Airstream

Ordered our Airstream at a busy AS dealer in October 2020. Told we would have it early April. Still not delivered. Does anyone know anything about delays in manufacturing etc.
Shuffle123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:11 PM   #5

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , North Carolina
No delivery here either

We ordered our FC mid August and don’t have a delivery date either. We are anxiously waiting. Good luck!
DarnNim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:49 AM   #6

2021 22' Caravel
Aptos , California
Angry Delivery delays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy3393 View Post
I was told when I bought my AS last year that I would have it in early February. In January they told me that it would be mid February before it was shipped from the factory. I checked today and they are now saying they don’t know when it will start being assembled. I understand that certain parts are hard to get but you would think they would have a better idea of a reasonable schedule. Is anyone else experiencing these delays or is it just me?
My wife and I purchased a 2021 Caravel 22FB on September 1st 2020. The factory quoted a production completion date of 4/19/21. The factory met that date but now I am in Limbo. Our unit came out of production with unknown shortages. I have tried REPEATEDLY to get a new projection for when it will be released from the Factory. Airstream Sales tells me to contact my Dealer. The Dealer is waiting for Airstream to release the unit. If you don’t think this is a problem try calling the factory sales group. It takes you right to voicemail every time. All I want is to get a projected release date so I can determine if I need to cancel my wife’s retirement trip.

Info from Airstream Sales........crickets!
BruceLeslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 11:19 AM   #7

2021 23' Globetrotter
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I’m in the same boat! Expected delivery in April but received invitation to orientation middle of July.
ScottT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 12:01 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Cranberry Township , Pennsylvania
Once close enough, there will be a VIN assigned... get the last 6 numbers from the dealer and then contact Airstream. I was given a 4/16 date originally and it came off the line on May 5th due to part shortages. Mine shipped without the motors on the stabilizers and I have no clue when those will arrive--at least it is fully usable and I just have to manually raise and lower them.

-David
dah605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:40 AM   #9

2021 16' Bambi
rimouski , Quebec
carrier delay

We bought a bambi16 2021 last september. We were told it would be ready march 2021, delayed to end of may and now our dealer (in montreal canada) is telling us that our trailer is ready but awaiting delivery. We can't have any update from the carrier and can't contact them. It's getting a bit frustrating, have to cancel camping trips and don't have a clue on what's going on with our trailer. Anyone having the same issue?
toundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:10 AM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by toundra View Post
We bought a bambi16 2021 last september. We were told it would be ready march 2021, delayed to end of may and now our dealer (in montreal canada) is telling us that our trailer is ready but awaiting delivery. We can't have any update from the carrier and can't contact them. It's getting a bit frustrating, have to cancel camping trips and don't have a clue on what's going on with our trailer. Anyone having the same issue?
Hi

With the US / Canada boarder closed, getting anything over it gets into a jumble of regulations. Just what is and isn't allowed seems to vary by day and by location .... yikes .....

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:23 AM   #11

2021 16' Bambi
rimouski , Quebec
well hope this in not the main reason! anyway, just wish airstream would at least give us news and keep updates
toundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 07:25 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Germantown , TN
Ordered a Flying Cloud 30FB Bunk on February 21, and the dealership gave me an estimated completion date of May 28th. I was braced for delays but wouldn't you know it, she rolled out of production on May 28th. Arrived at the dealer on June 8th and we pick her up tomorrow.

Honestly I think delays just come down to luck.
Old 06-10-2021, 08:55 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' International
La Mesa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisRebel View Post
Ordered a Flying Cloud 30FB Bunk on February 21, and the dealership gave me an estimated completion date of May 28th. I was braced for delays but wouldn't you know it, she rolled out of production on May 28th. Arrived at the dealer on June 8th and we pick her up tomorrow.

Honestly I think delays just come down to luck.
This gives me hope! Inquired in early May about the time frame for ordering an International. They had a build already on their list that was not claimed by anyone yet that was the exact model and optional upgrades we wanted. We put 5K down and the estimated delivery date to the dealer is August 24th. It apparently is a 2022 model. We have no idea if there are any changes for 2022 (other than the price increase) and we have no idea what items might be swapped/ changed due to availability issues. We have not even seen our model in person since there are almost no Airstreams on lots.

We are planning for Late August delivery, but we know its possible we might not get it until the end of the year. Makes planning tough especially with campgrounds being so full. Also we live in an urban community in a Condo and so we will be "storing" our Airstream in our own campground space about an hour away like we did for our previous RV years ago. There were only 2 spaces available for us to sign a year lease for the campground. So we are entering into a lease now, possibly many months earlier than we will have our Airstream. Also had to pull the trigger on a TV last month because there is zero inventory and our Airstream "might" be in in 12 weeks! Possibly no time to order the TV we wanted, so we settled.

Pretty much every decision we make right now seems fraught with disappointment and challenges due to so many people experiencing delays. We are trying to just roll with it, but your post gives me a little more hope!
DustyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 10:08 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Germantown , TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyTrails View Post
This gives me hope! Inquired in early May about the time frame for ordering an International. They had a build already on their list that was not claimed by anyone yet that was the exact model and optional upgrades we wanted. We put 5K down and the estimated delivery date to the dealer is August 24th. It apparently is a 2022 model. We have no idea if there are any changes for 2022 (other than the price increase) and we have no idea what items might be swapped/ changed due to availability issues. We have not even seen our model in person since there are almost no Airstreams on lots.

We are planning for Late August delivery, but we know its possible we might not get it until the end of the year. Makes planning tough especially with campgrounds being so full. Also we live in an urban community in a Condo and so we will be "storing" our Airstream in our own campground space about an hour away like we did for our previous RV years ago. There were only 2 spaces available for us to sign a year lease for the campground. So we are entering into a lease now, possibly many months earlier than we will have our Airstream. Also had to pull the trigger on a TV last month because there is zero inventory and our Airstream "might" be in in 12 weeks! Possibly no time to order the TV we wanted, so we settled.

Pretty much every decision we make right now seems fraught with disappointment and challenges due to so many people experiencing delays. We are trying to just roll with it, but your post gives me a little more hope!

Good luck! Our experience was similar - the dealer had a 30' International unclaimed on their build sheet for the late May window, and when we placed the deposit they switched it to a 30' Flying Cloud Bunk. We are leaving on June 24 for a three week trip that will take us 3,000 miles, so I was sweating it out that the Airstream would be here in time. We had already unpacked our Grand Design and had it ready for trade-in, so if we had a delay we were going to have to re-pack it and prep it for the trip in a tight window. Luckily it worked out and gives us enough time for a shakedown trip prior to leaving for out west.

You bring up a good point about not even being able to see them on the lot given the shortages. I am 6'6" and always assumed I would not fit in an Airstream. We were visiting my wife's family and drove by a dealer and my wife talked me into going by just to see if they had one to walk through for fun. They had a 30' bunk that someone had ordered that just came in, so the salesman agreed to let me walk through it to see if I would fit. I think it was fate that even with all the shortages, they just happened to have the exact model we were interested in there for a walk through. We ordered one the next week.

Anyway, best of luck to you on your order. You may have read this elsewhere like I did, but once you get your VIN from your dealer you can call Jackson Center and based off the last 5 of the VIN they can tell you whether the unit has been completed. May be worth a shot for you starting in late August. It took ours 11 days to reach the dealership after completion but some of that was Memorial Day weekend which may have hurt delivery time.
Old 06-10-2021, 11:23 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
We lucked out on a build scheduled for August 20-27. It will be a 2022 International 25FBT with solar and rear hatch. I understand 2022 builds start in July. Here is a list of the improvements in the 2021 and now 2022 models:

- 12v/110 Fridge - 2022 upgrade
- Smart Plug - 2022 upgrade
- Lithium Compatible Converter - 2022 upgrade
- Composite Floor - 2021 upgrade
-Tankless Hot Water - 2021 upgrade

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
https://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 09:00 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Edina , Minnesota
Unfortunately, got delayed again this week and had to cancel a 3 week trip with some awesome MT campsites lined up. GT 23 FB ordered in early December with a delivery timeline of late May / early June. Got VIN and told to expect off the line in late June. Just told it was now late July off the line with delivery in mid-Aug. I understand the raw material delays as I see them in my business also, but Airstream needs to own and improve the poor communication. I have not received one proactive communication on timing - have had to hunt it down myself. I’m trying to keep the long-term positive perspective, but the lack of clear communication makes it tough to plan vacation, work, storage, etc.
KenC22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 09:32 AM   #17
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenC22 View Post
Unfortunately, got delayed again this week and had to cancel a 3 week trip with some awesome MT campsites lined up. GT 23 FB ordered in early December with a delivery timeline of late May / early June. Got VIN and told to expect off the line in late June. Just told it was now late July off the line with delivery in mid-Aug. I understand the raw material delays as I see them in my business also, but Airstream needs to own and improve the poor communication. I have not received one proactive communication on timing - have had to hunt it down myself. I’m trying to keep the long-term positive perspective, but the lack of clear communication makes it tough to plan vacation, work, storage, etc.
Hi

They aren't doing any worse than Ford .....

Our answer has been not to plan anything with the rig until we have equipment delivered / checked out / known good / working. The "it's broke but we're going anyway" decision is *not* one you want to go with. Up to the point it's all here, plan to do things other ways.

Bob
Old 06-11-2021, 09:44 AM   #18

Centre Hall , Pennsylvania
Looking at all these problems with delivery makes me think buying a used as might just be the best bet? Comments welcomed !
JudithAnn
JudithAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:47 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudithAnn View Post
Looking at all these problems with delivery makes me think buying a used as might just be the best bet? Comments welcomed !
JudithAnn

Nothing wrong with used, but what you find is what you get. If you can find what you want or really close no reason not to. However only you can decide what’s close enough that you’ll be happy in the end.

For example you find the perfect trailer with the wrong color cushions… IMHO that’s an easy fix. But if you find the trailer with a twin set up and you really want a queen or visa versa maybe a deal breaker.

2019 Ford F-350 Platinum
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 12:32 PM   #20
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudithAnn View Post
JudithAnn
Hi

Right now used RV's are selling at all time high prices. One *can* find folks asking for the same price on a used this or that as the sell price on a brand new one. Might they come down 5%? Who knows .... it might well sell at their asking price.

Bob