Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2004, 09:03 AM   #1
Craftsman

Airstream Dealer Websites

I was browsing Airstream dealer websites using the state by state map on the corporate website. There are a handfull of good ones, that list inventory, good descriptions and photo but I have to say that most of them are next to useless if your searching for a particular Airstream.There were a few that didn't seem to have any inventory, one that I think had three in stock and quite a few that just linked you to the corporate site. That brings up the question; do most people just use the dealer to place an order? I was looking for the 34 Classic and I only found one.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:37 AM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Since each trailer is ordered and considered sold, the quantity of units at a dealer would probably depend a lot upon the financial strength of the dealer, and the turnover of the units. My dealer here is the largest volume Airstream trailer dealer in the country so he usually has 15 or more in stock. Interestly enough in both cases I have ordered to get exactly what I wanted. As it ended up I was up at his dealership and saw the Classic I now own. The only difference between the one I ordered and this one was the fact that the one at the dealership had the leather sofa. As it ended up it took almost 4 months for the one I ordered to show up so I was glad to take the one off the lot. He didn't realize he had it on order otherwise I probably wouldn't have placed the order originally.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 02:32 PM   #3
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
You won't find too many dealers willing to stock the 34 ... most consider it a special order item.

We had to order ours ... when we were ready to make a purchase last October ... we had Airstream do a search of all dealer inventory. I think there were only two in the country at that time ... both being too far away.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 02:58 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Looking over our photos from almost a year ago from when we were at the factory, I don't see any 34s on the line, though I seem to recall one or two limited versions being built, I am unsure if they were 34 footers or not.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 04:38 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
1969 18' Caravel
Lovettsville , Virginia
Hey Craftsman

I visited Parkview RV in New Smyrna Delaware last week and they had an '04 Limited 34' on the lot with a sale price of $69K (it was a gorgeous trailer!).

They treated me well when I bought my 30' Excella from them last year. Good luck.

Bob
takenitez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 04:04 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
1969 18' Caravel
Lovettsville , Virginia
Forgot to mention this AS has the SO dinette...

Bob
takenitez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 05:34 AM   #7
Craftsman

Living within driving distance of the Delaware Airstream dealer, I was aware that they had a 34 slide. We're leaning toward a non slide, and there are a couple of items that I would like to add so will order to get exactly the unit that we want.Porky has the 34 non slide and Jack the 30 slide I believe. How are you guys loving your unit?
Old 11-17-2004, 09:20 AM   #8
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
Porky has the 34 non slide and Jack the 30 slide I believe. How are you guys loving your unit?
We love ours ... been living in it fulltime since March 29th.

We went with the non slide because we did not want the extra weight ... and the floor plan of the 34 slide did not appeal to us.

Also ... the advantage of placing an order ... you can get exactly what you want ... just like you said. For example ... Petunia didn't care for the stainless fridge .... so the factory installed the older wood trim style.

Keep us posted on what you do.

TrailerGypsies.com

-- Willie Dixon
Old 11-17-2004, 09:23 AM   #9

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Living within driving distance of the Delaware Airstream dealer, I was aware that they had a 34 slide. We're leaning toward a non slide, and there are a couple of items that I would like to add so will order to get exactly the unit that we want.Porky has the 34 non slide and Jack the 30 slide I believe. How are you guys loving your unit?

Yep we love the slide. It has proven its worth to us. I did a lot of soul searching but finally decided to dive in. Two big reasons for me. First the additional space. It really adds to the comfort level. Second is resale. Not right away but where I think the market is going. Yes many folks think of Airstreams in a different light but with the multitude of trailers out there today, from folding campers, to pickup campers, trailers and motorhomes, manufacturers are building and folks are buying slideouts on these units. Last year's RV show here at the convention center showed me that almost every SOB down here had a slide.

My guess is that when it comes to sales time, my chances of selling to one of these SOB folks who have slideouts makes my unit that much more attractive.

The down side is the hitch weight (almost 1,200 lbs on my Classic). I had to discard the factory receiver that came with my new van and upgrade that and my hitch to Class V status.

Be sure to upgrade the A/C to the 15K unit, and don't forget the spare tire and wheel.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 11-17-2004, 09:31 AM   #10
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Jack - there was a article last year in one of the RV Trades about companies popping up who add slides to older non-slide units (SOB's not AS). The idea was that everyone wants slides and it was worth it to dealers to install slides on older highline units in order to actually sell them off the lot. I would bet that your unit next to a non-slide unit will be a much more appealing AS for the next owner.

The buzz for next weeks big industry show is a five slide 5th wheel and as well as rumors about roof slides and fold down rear patio rooms.

When will it end?
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 10:03 AM   #11

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
Jack - there was a article last year in one of the RV Trades about companies popping up who add slides to older non-slide units (SOB's not AS). The idea was that everyone wants slides and it was worth it to dealers to install slides on older highline units in order to actually sell them off the lot. I would bet that your unit next to a non-slide unit will be a much more appealing AS for the next owner.

The buzz for next weeks big industry show is a five slide 5th wheel and as well as rumors about roof slides and fold down rear patio rooms.

When will it end?
Looks like I was thinking the right direction then. It will be interesting to see how the unit ages. Right now I take special care of the gaskets making sure they get a regular dose of silicon spray. I also live by the adage that the slide doesn't go in or out unless the unit is level and the stabilizer jacks are down.

It will be interesting to see what pops up at the next RV show in February. As I noted I was astounded last year to see the overwhelming numbers of trunk campers and pop-ups with them.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 11-17-2004, 12:31 PM   #12
Craftsman

Jack and Porky, is there anything on your Airstream that you didn't get that you wished you had? Also whats your opinion of the Solar package and the Audio/ Video upgrade?
Old 11-17-2004, 01:35 PM   #13

Fenton , Missouri
I don't believe either was an option for 2004. Based on my usage of the trailer the solar wouldn't be one of my choices. We are considering putting a LCD TV in the bedroom area. Personally I don't spend enough time inside to justify the cost of the upgrade.

I think the only thing in retrospect that I would have gotten was to remove the carpet that is just off the door and to the left. I was told by an Airstream representative at the rally where I placed my order, that the slide out rollers need to be on carpet. Earlier this year someone else on the forum, and I forgot who it is, was able to order his slide out trailer without that piece of carpet. Now whether that is a smart move may be something that will only show in time. I don't mind the carpet in front of the sofa though. I just wanted a clear path from the door back to the bedroom. At this point we have some small rugs which we use a stepping stones to keep the carpet clean. Non slide units are set up with the clear path.

I think the options we had were the lounge and bath skylights, spare tire and wheel, 15K A/C Heat Pump, and Leather Sofa. No china toilet (must be a standard feature in the 34' model). Our unexpected delight was the power stabilizer jacks. They are standard in the slide outs.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 11-17-2004, 01:37 PM   #14
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
Jack and Porky, is there anything on your Airstream that you didn't get that you wished you had? Also whats your opinion of the Solar package and the Audio/ Video upgrade?
I think we got just about everything ... the A/V upgrade was not offered at that time ... I can't remember if the Solar was an option ... but we don't have it ... don't miss it ... we hook up all the time.

We did get the following:

10 CF Fridge
Remote Gen Prep
Both Skylights (Lounge & Bath)
Spare Tire
Stacked Window (forward of Front Door)
15K AC

Also, we were pleasantly suprised to see that our unit came with a china toilet.

Keep us posted on your progress. Kind of exciting isn't it?

TrailerGypsies.com

-- Willie Dixon
Old 11-17-2004, 06:01 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
Waverly , Pennsylvania
I didn't look through every post, so forgive me if this is a repeat.

I think this is a great site for an Airstream dealership:

http://www.colonialairstream.com/main.html
nayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 06:24 AM   #16
Craftsman

Yes, Colonial is an EXCELLENT Airstream dealer website. This either should are could be the model for the other Airstream dealers. You know exactly what both their new and used inventory is and there are pictures of in stock inventory as well as what's due in. To all the other Airstream dealers take note; Make your websites as simple as up to date and as easy to navagate as Colonials and ill bet you'll increase sales as well as profits. We should have a rating system on Airstream dealers. Nothing to personal, something like a "star" rating. One to five stars on things like sales, after sales, service, parts availability, and of course website.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:06 AM   #17
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Just out of curiosity (forgive me if this is an inappropriate place to post this) but would you guys mind checking out another Airstream (and SOB) Dealer website and providing me with some feedback? My company provides turn key websites, like this one; http://www.canamrv.ca for RV Dealerships (AS and others) and I'm always looking for ways to receive feedback directly from RV consumers about what they like and don't like about the solutions we provide. You can PM me your opinions and I'll incorporate as much as I can into our products.

Thanks in advance.

Moderators - If this post is too commercial please delete it
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote