Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2003, 06:42 PM   #1

Airstream Age

Hi Ya'll
I just made a trade for an Airstreaam trlr. It's a 31' ft Countess and that seems to be all we know of it. SERIOUS
I'm trying to find a plate or something to give me a year. Any ideas as to location of te plate or even when the countess model was made.
Thanks, Lobo
lobofw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 06:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Countess???

Are you sure it's an Airstream???

Could it be an Avion or SilverStreak? The name Countess, just doesn't sound like a typical Airstream name...Check out Vintage Airstream Archives for the older models names & lengths. I don't know much about the newer ones. Someone else here on the forum probably does & will post soon...

Anyway, the information plate is usually located beside the door.

Good luck in your discovery process! If you have pictures, post one, it may make it easier to identify.

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 08:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Countess is associated with Coachmen.
I bet it's called the Streamline Countess Imperial from the early 70's I'm not finding a picture of it that model but it is simulare construction and materials as a Airstream. More squared off.
There were several compaines making Airstream like campers including Silver Streak that folded in the 90's, Streamline.
It's a Streamline They had several tailers named things like "Prince" "Imperial"
http://www.tompatterson.com/Streamline/Streamline.html is about the only thing I came up with. Didn't look hard but I read that they had a Countess Script logo on the side.
Here is a 1970 Imperial
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 08:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Toaster

I think there were some other A/S copies. I recall Avalairs, Avions, Silver Streaks and a Canadian model called Travelux. There was a travelux parked by a house a few blocks from here for many years. It is gone now. They had quality problems. Back in the 50's and 60's the best quality trailers came from the States. Are there any more??
Old 02-24-2003, 10:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
I was surpised there were that many. Silver Streak had a pretty long run fron 48-97 but they only built about 5 trailers a WEEK. Streamliner went under in a sell off after a buy out in 74. After looking a little on this site http://www.tompatterson.com/Trailers/Trailers0.html both compaines had simular goals at to produce quality as Airstream. To be quite honest it appears both were modeled after Airstream in both product and organazation.
That site is about the only refference I could find to the Countess. It's easy to see why this Lobo thought he had a Airstreambecause they have a simular appearence. Really is a rare old camper he has. It was one of the last products they ever built.
Streamliner had a club very much like WBCCI called the "Royal Rovers". Still existes but is very small now and pretty well the TX chapter is the only one left. Silver Streak also had such a club that still exists but due to their low volume not many members.
Lobo looks like you have a Orphan trailer for Streamliner. Hit that site it has some interesting information and pictures are availabl of the products. They also have some Airstream info there and a classified area.
If I'm slow tomorrow I'll look up some of those other marks and see what I find Wayne.
Thinking back to when I was a kid I seem to recal a neighbor have a trailer that must have been a Streamliner. I remeber the Gold crown on the side and stripe down the side.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 05:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
Streamline countess

Here's a couple pic's of a Streamline Countess. The owner says he bought it new in 1966.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Streamline Countess.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	539.9 KB
ID:	83379  
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:24 AM   #7

Can't believe I forgot about this thread

Anyway, it's a Streamline Countess and it looks like on the plate it was made in 62 or 63. Looks the same as the photo above of the one bought in 66.
lobofw is offline   Reply With Quote