Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-02-2016, 08:28 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Well said SCTX.

Zybane --

Curious whether you ever splurge on a meal or vacation, which you cannot really afford, but you choose to go for it, just for the fun of it? And in the long run, everything works out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
How do people afford Airstream 2 Go? 14 day's rental for over ten thousand dollars???
Quote:
Paying 1/8th the entire cost of an Airstream for a 14 day rental is pretty extraordinary in any measure.

Could you imagine paying 1/8th the price of the car for two weeks of car rental or vacation home.
Quote:
But you are missing one key ingredient. Those 36' power catamaran's and Private jet's have WAY higher value than an Airstream.

The Airstream cost to rental ratio of A2GO is extremely high. Just eight, two-week rentals they've already paid off the trailer.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:33 AM   #62
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
I don't know about the others who posted about the cost of renting, but I was not intending to pass judgement on how anyone spends their money. I understand it is none of my business how anyone spends their money and it is no one's business how I spend mine.

I was only trying to express that the rental cost was more than I would have expected.
I feel that this is expensive because in my opinion, camping/rv-ing or what ever you want to call it is a vacation or experience that is normally within the means of the "average" person and that the average person could not either afford or justify $10,000 for two weeks use of a trailer.
My Airstream has been parked next to $1m+ motorcoaches and has shared a site with some friends in a leaky popup towed by a truck with bald tires and no muffler, so I understand that there is a wide range of RV owners.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:51 AM   #63
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
SCTX, your approach is imminently logical. You get to see if you like RVing, and if so what size trailer works best for you, further, you gain experience in towing, [U]plus you get a vacation out of it.

Well done, and well thought-out!

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:13 AM   #64
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
We are new to RV'ing and we also wanted to experience RV'ing first before buying. I looked at Airstream2Go and found it to be prohibitively expensive (just compare the rates to car rental rates). We rented an SOB at the rate of $120 a day. It was a great experience. We realized we enjoy RV'ing, got several ideas on the floor plans we like (and the trailer size we need), and bought an Avion camper shortly afterwards. The price of the camper we bought, plus the cost of the ongoing renovations, would be less than 2 week rental at Airstream2Go. We can certainly afford rental at Airstream2Go (or buying a new Airstream), but it did not make much sense to us.

I really don't like the snarky comments towards folks questioning the very high rental rate of Airstream2Go.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:41 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
The point is not to address what people spend their money on. The discussion is value. That is an objective discussion. Paying 1/8th the item's cost to rent for two weeks is extremely high no matter if you have $1000 in your name or $100,000,000.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:47 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
The point is not to address what people spend their money on. The discussion is value. That is an objective discussion. Paying 1/8th the item's cost to rent for two weeks is extremely high no matter if you have $1000 in your name or $100,000,000.
And how does one put an "objective" value on the instant availability of the item being rented, not to mention the value of the experience to the renter? Both of which are part of the equation . . .

Like the end MasterCard television commercial -- "priceless" !!!

Old 02-02-2016, 01:53 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
I'm a CPA so I can value anything

I'd start by looking at competitors, then add a premium since Airstreams command a premium price.

However, if the purpose of the rental is to see if you would like to own an RV, you don't need an Airstream to do that, and no premium is justified. If you were deciding if an Airstream was worth the premium over another trailer, you'd be wise to rent both. So the value of an Airstream rental to one user may be much different from another. As an example, I already own an Airstream, so there would be little value to me in renting something I already have the use of.

The premium price of a new Airstream is at least partially a function of the higher resale value and longevity of an aluminum tube compared to the relatively short life of fiberglass boxes. Since the renter receives no benefit from the resale value, the premium cannot be only a function of the higher purchase cost.

And that's the most that I'll ever expect to use my Masters Degree in Accounting here on Airforums!
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:28 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Can't resist one more -- definitely on-topic in a sense -- Monday Morning Quarterbacks -- priceless!