Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2006, 09:41 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
1987 32.5' Airstream 325
Windsor , Ontario
Airbus RV

Hello everyone,

I new to this forum and keen on getting into "Airstreaming". I'm curious about an "Airbus" RV in our area and I'd like to do some research on the model(1981) before I have a look at it.

Can anyone lead me to some websites that would have detailed info, or could some of you pass it along? I'm look for specs, layouts, options, etc. I'm assuming these were just passenger models and not campers, but I'd like to find out more.

You can respond here or at cburston@cogeco.ca. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Chris
realpank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 10:01 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I don't think that is an Airstream, it looks like a SOB class A MoHo.
Look at the third picture down, on the left.

Solar Summit: RV Installations
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 10:36 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Albuquerque , New Mexico
CHRIS,welcome to the forums and good luck on your serch--

hendrie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 11:56 AM   #4
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
I think the Airbus was made by Rexhall (Rexhall Industries)

If you are looking at an Airstream Motorhome then his site and a member's site (Fred's Airstream Archives - Airstream and Argosy Travel Trailers and MotorHomes) are great resources.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 07:07 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Hi. Before we can help you, we'll need some more info--we don't want to steer you wrong.
Is it an Airstream-manufactured bus? If so, what is the length? What drive train does it have? (engine size, etc) Where is (are) the door(s) located?
Airstream Commercail discontinued production several years ago, but there are several forums members rehabbing the commercial busses/hearses/mobile labs into motor homes here, you should be able to get some help or at least a sense of direction. Photos are a big help, if you own a digital camera.
Good luck with your project.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:05 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
1987 32.5' Airstream 325
Windsor , Ontario
Thumbs up 82' Airbus

I have a picture I can send...it is an Airstream but it only has a small dinette, small sink, small fridge, and bathroom in the rear.

It seems to be designed as a passenger coach as it has 8(eight!!!!) armchairs. I would like to know of some of you great folks that have rerofitted something like this.

What do I look for on initial inspection besides frame, body, and mechanical viability? It has pumping. What kind of electrical coniguration will I need to expand. I'm not looking at a large reconfiguration...just a time and of course $$ allow.

I have some pix put don't know how to show them. I've posted this again(somewere) but as I'm new I don't know how to navigate this site.

Very much impressed by this site and the welcome I've recieved so far.

Thanks again
Chris
Old 12-10-2006, 09:34 AM   #7
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Chris,
It sounds like an executive, shuttle or hearse (commercial) version of an Airstream motorohome. You can see some examples of these coaches here (Fred's Airstream Motorhome Class A Archives - Unique Models). Several members here have successfully converted these coaches into motorhomes, travelling showrooms, businesses on wheels, etc.

That said, in all honesty, unless you can steal this coach, you might be far better off purchasing an Airstream or Argosy motorhome that needs some TLC but is already a motorhome. Changing floorplans, installing systems and electricals, etc is a very large project which requires a lot of time and money to get it right.

Purchasing a ready to roll, or restorable motorhome would get you out on the road, enjoying the coach much sooner and for less money on the long run. Check out the classifieds on this site and the Airstream motorhome site to get an idea of what motorhomes are going for and compare it to your planned project. You might be surprised.

In any case, keep us posted on your plans and progress.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:18 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
1987 32.5' Airstream 325
Windsor , Ontario
Thumbs up 82' Airbus

Thanks Steven,

Love the hungry look of your MH. Excellent points made. What are the big differences in "systems". It has a bathroom ands small sink(so plumbing exists and holding tank), it has a small fridge(so some electrical/fuse box exists). No furnace or roof top A/C.

My needs,at this point are simple(I'm still camping in a tent!, the idea of an Airstream is to apprease my wife...and keep my ride "Vintage"). I reckon I could still do all my cooking outside anyway.

I figure I could take out most of the 8 arm chairs, put in a fold-out couch/bed and go from there. A new roof top air conditioning unit is a relative simple hole cut in the roof and the lack of furnace could be made up with space heaters.

Talk me into it/talk me out of it! You guys are the experts(having gone through it)...all my ideas are based on assumptions, which usually are way more expensive than I imagine.

Is there an article on pre-purchasing checklist that I could go through so I'm prepared when dealing with the seller? I restore and drive classic cars so I'm reasonably mechanically inclined.

I'm already loving the idea of owning an "Airstream" based on the response I've got so far.

Keep up the posts!!! Thank-you
Chris
Old 12-10-2006, 02:13 PM   #9
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Having vintage restoration experience is a huge plus for not only a conversion, but just to enjoy ownership without spending $80/hour at your local dealership every time something goes wrong.

Do a search for Pre-Purchase Inspection and you'll find some good threads on the subject.

As far as conversion consider the following:

110V system. Most motorhomes have a generator on board along with a "shore power" connection to supply 110 to the microwave, fridge (3 way fridge which works on 110V, 12V or Propane) along with the AC units and anything else you need (Margaritas in the blender comes to mind).

AC units are a pop through style in all of our units, but getting power up there may require removal of some of the interior skin.

Space heaters are often used in older trailers, but a "real" propane furnce will require a tank, regular, plumbing, etc. Add to this a shower and hot water heater, storetop, etc.

The biggest thing in my mind is floorplan. Moving walls and installing RV furniture is very possible but think about where things are located. If the black tank is under the potty you really don't want to move the potty to the other side of the coach.

All of these changes assume the basic platform is in good working order, the drivetrain (engine and tranny), suspension, tires, brakes, steering, accessories, etc are all working and ready to roll.

Honestly, most of us push the limits of our time commitment and budgets on what came bolted to the motorhome and chassis let alone any major systems installation or changes.

If vintage is your thing consider one of the older Classics or Argosy's for sale right now. It has everything you could need, you can camp in it right away (keep's the wife happy) it looks really cool and you can upgrade/repair systems without havin to engineer every little change.

Again, if you are looking for a project then you certainly have found one and many people here have successfully converted a commercial unit but if you really want to go camping and traveling in an Airstream motorhome and enjoy all of the comforts one of these [old] luxury units has to offer, for less than this project will cost you, seriously consider just buying a motorhome instead.

Lastly, yes owning a Classic is a great experience. It takes committment, a DIY attitude, the willingness to buy parts at NAPA on a regular basis, and a little insanity - but it's really really fun.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
As an example, here is a picture of our 345 that we bought in May of last year. It had 65K miles and everything worked. It cost us $18K and we have done several upgrades, most of which were elective not mandatory. The beauty was we were out with it immediately. This picture was taken in Malibu, CA. about a month after purchase.
Also, since you are into classic cars, go to our Community Forums and look up Off Topic Forums. There is a thread on classic cars where many of us have posted pictures of our other addiction. Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	as345.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	29624  
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 03:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
The great thing about AS Classics is there is alwasy someone who wants to buy one. May not be a quick seller, but they consistently do sell. Other older brands are not as fortunate in the marketplace.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 07:17 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Chris, use the paperclip icon or click on the manage attachments bar below the text box when you enter your message to post photos. They need to be a certain max size so real high res. will not work.
I'd be interested to see what you have. Sounds like an executive limo to me. That is unless it's got some very big side doors in the rear quarter.
Does the rear end clam shell open?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	driver_202875.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	29638  
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 07:44 PM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Strange. When I posted my reply above, there were no other posts listed, although others had replied, and could see the replies. Aside from the fact that mine looks kind of dumb out there after the other posts appeared, I will leave it up for a while to see if our new IT guy can figure out what happened.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:01 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
1987 32.5' Airstream 325
Windsor , Ontario
Thumbs up 82' Airbus

I'm told by the owners that was originally an airport shuttle(hence the name "Airbus") and very few of these were made.

Glen, It does not open in the rear as the bathroom is back there. It has a regular sized door but seems father back than some I've seen, almots past the middle of the unit.

Steven, well written and common sense drives most of us. I'mm not lloking at making large modifications, I've been a camper for a long time so I don't mind still cooking outside. I would consider this a starter unit as the initial price is very low...I can realistically see putting $3,000 to $5,000 into it and still be a half the asking price of alot of the MoHo'(no offense).

So I figure this unit will get me into an Airstream and I'll deal with the problems that be. Like someone said on a nother thread, "count on any repairs and then double the price"...tha's OK! I'd love to pick up a rear bedroom 28' diesel but I don't have that kind of coin. I have a mechanic(whose into ato racing..so he could use it there) to help with mechanicals and a master carpenter in my family so I've got some personal resources.

Overlander, I'm not sure what you meant but I have a hard time finding this thread when I come back. I've attenpted an attachment here so...

Name:   airbus_82_smaller.jpg
Views: 1791
Size:  20.2 KB

Thanks again fellas,
Chris
Old 12-11-2006, 04:14 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Well Chris it looks like a find for sure. DETAILS!! We need more photos and details....details...details. We're very visual here. Looks like the door is well aft for sure. How many miles are on her? 1981 should have you in the miles dept. not KM's.
I'd like to see interior photos. Rear bath would make it a very unusual item I think. More in keeping with the Argosy layouts.
Is it blessed with an engine driven A/C unit? Mine had one the was inop and left the coach upon arrival in SC.
Do you have a drop down headliner? Check my photos.
Also to help you find the thread you need to go to the tabs and follow along... Forums, A/S Community Forums, Our Community, Airbus RV.
You're making progress as you've learned to post photos way ahead of some of the newbees here. Some of the older members had difficulty and then some.... Right Tim?????
BTW I used to own a house and live in Rodney in a previous life.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 07:39 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
I think you've got a great match for your needs. The open floor plan has a lot to recommend it if you enjoy doing a variety of outdoor activities. It would also be great for taking a group camping with real chairs and windows for the passengers. Part of the appeal of a motorhome is you don't have to go throught hitching up riga-ma-roll but, if you decide there's occasions you'd like to have an apartment on wheels you could pull a trailer behind the Air-bus, no?

Curious, what's the length?
-Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 12:10 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Get it fast...

That sure is a unique ride and in as much as it would be alot to bring it up to par with the typical Airstream MH, that one would get you started nicely and at a decent cost, as you said. With the resources you have (contacts, not monetary), I'm sure you can get it usable for your purposes. My 1981 MH has all the bells and whistles and yet I've never used the stove or oven, or even the water heater, or shower. I BBQ outside and use the facilities I camp at for hygiene. Haven't boondocked yet though. You'll always regret it if you don't get it soon. Sounds like you don't need much in it and that's what you'll get. It's perfect for your situation. Get it before someone else does. Also, I recommend you keep the "Airbus" name.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PB190002.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	29671  
Old 12-12-2006, 01:46 PM   #18
_

. , .
thanks for posting the picture realpack…

of course now we want even MORE details…

it would be fun to start with a blank moho and do as needed for camping…

as others have suggested that still isn’t going to be cheap…

many folks misinterpret the issue of ‘only a few’ in any floorplan…

yes it make the its history unique and certainly its interesting to other a/s moho junkies…

also is would be a fun part of the documentation after a makeover..

but I don’t think it adds a single dollar to value or collectible worth…

my only concern for a coach that was used for public transport….

engine, tranny, wheel bearing, axles, suspension and brakes may all be tired…

please post more pics…

did ya buy it yet?
2air’

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 04:05 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
1987 32.5' Airstream 325
Windsor , Ontario
Thumbs up 82 Airbus

heh...heh...great responses...aren't we enthusiastic, even more so than my friends over at slantsix.com...I'm lovin' it!!

Yes made as many arrangements as I can as I am a distance from the beast. I shooting off a deposit cheque this week! A verbal agreement has been made!

He(i'm calling it Carl after an Uncle that just died and always wanted an AS) is a 28 footer. It was used by a couple as mobile showroom/RV as they were in the clothing retail business somehow and used it to travel to shows. They had for about ten years and it's been sitting for about 5 years(shudder!!!). So they used it the most and replaced the motor with a "Jenson" 454 about 7 years ago(has 45k on it). Approx. 125 to 140k on the body.

He says the A/C is under the floor, the roofline is clean as you can see. I'm thinking brakes all the way around(I always do that when I get a resto car so no different here) and perhaps a set of skins(any suggestions) If they're dry rotted I was going look into a 2 hand set just to get me home.

He also said the windshield wipers don't work(which concerns me greatly...those can be a pain on any vehicle) Some thing about the shaft. Any common comments about WW motors? They're trying to start it as it hasn't been started for some time(gulp...oil seals!). Should I ask that they start the generator as well?

I'm even more stoked now that I have y'all for support.

Cheers gang
Chris
Old 12-12-2006, 05:31 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Yahoo! Nothing like a new toy. Now the fun starts. If you can get them to run the generator, that can only be a plus. Replacements and repairs can be quite expensive. We kept ours going for a while and finally had to bite the bullet for a new one. But as you know, that's all part of the "owning a classic" game. Good luck, have fun, and post lots of pictures. Ron
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote