Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-03-2019, 10:26 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
 
Wesley chapel , FL
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 5
Advice please!

Hi! I am looking to purchase a 22FT 1973 AIRSTREAM, found this one close by and wondering if its a fair price? I did not find any major leaks or rust I also verified that the seller is on the title, the exterior does have 2 major dents and scratch. I would appreciated your comments.




https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...2007852416527/
IEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:57 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member
 
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hillsborough , North Carolina
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 301
A friend gave me great advise many years ago:


"It is a Good Deal, if You Think you got a Good Deal."
GeeSag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:33 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member
 
Wesley chapel , FL
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 5
Just looking for a fair price, I am not familiar with this market, and do not want get scam. I have check most the logical thing that could be wrong. I will be doing a full restoration and wondering if this is a solid trailer.
IEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
Belegedhel's Avatar
 
1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,103
That price is probably "OK", if you compare it to other trailers of that genre and about the same length.

That said, make no mistake, that trailer is not in very good shape. It looks like a "Field find" that someone cleaned up. It has large dents in the endcap sections front and back. Not easy to fix--these dents won't just "pop" out. The axles are obviously original, meaning they are shot and need to be replaced. Not super expensive, or technically difficult, but if the axles are original, then I would be willing to be that the interior has not been maintained either.

Go to the "portal" tab of these forums and scroll down looking for a link to the "Trailer Inspector's Checklist" Take this checklist and go through that trailer with it, and you will have a more realistic idea of what is wrong with it. Better yet, try and find a local volunteer inspector (utility on the portal tab as well).

Step up on the rear bumper and bounce a little, watching to see how much the frame rails move independent of the shell--that would be the check for rear-end separation, and I can just about guarantee that this trailer has it.

At the end of the day, if you pay $6500 for it, or $4000 for it, it doesn't matter too much, as you can count on having months of work ahead of you and many additional thousands of dollars to get it fixed up.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 04:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 17,539
You might want to read The Love Shack thread.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...ck-183431.html

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 656
What's the deal with the metal bar riveted to the back of the trailer, that looks to be holding up the (dented) bumper? That's a big red flag to me, but if you are already planning a full restoration them maybe not.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:35 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member
 
Wesley chapel , FL
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 5
Thanks


Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
You might want to read The Love Shack thread.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...ck-183431.html

IEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:36 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member
 
Wesley chapel , FL
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 5
Exactly the comment I was looking for! Thanks!



Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
That price is probably "OK", if you compare it to other trailers of that genre and about the same length.

That said, make no mistake, that trailer is not in very good shape. It looks like a "Field find" that someone cleaned up. It has large dents in the endcap sections front and back. Not easy to fix--these dents won't just "pop" out. The axles are obviously original, meaning they are shot and need to be replaced. Not super expensive, or technically difficult, but if the axles are original, then I would be willing to be that the interior has not been maintained either.

Go to the "portal" tab of these forums and scroll down looking for a link to the "Trailer Inspector's Checklist" Take this checklist and go through that trailer with it, and you will have a more realistic idea of what is wrong with it. Better yet, try and find a local volunteer inspector (utility on the portal tab as well).

Step up on the rear bumper and bounce a little, watching to see how much the frame rails move independent of the shell--that would be the check for rear-end separation, and I can just about guarantee that this trailer has it.

At the end of the day, if you pay $6500 for it, or $4000 for it, it doesn't matter too much, as you can count on having months of work ahead of you and many additional thousands of dollars to get it fixed up.

good luck!
IEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:42 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member
 
Wesley chapel , FL
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 5
Will take a closer look this weekend. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
What's the deal with the metal bar riveted to the back of the trailer, that looks to be holding up the (dented) bumper? That's a big red flag to me, but if you are already planning a full restoration them maybe not.
IEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please...Please...No Silicone Roadrunner Leaks - Weatherstrips, Gaskets, Caulks & Sealants 8 08-24-2014 08:00 PM
Please help - opinion please - 1967 caravel for $1000 knishiya Airstream Trailer Forums 5 05-11-2012 09:33 PM
PLEASE, OH PLEASE, may I speak with the WIZARD??? WILDRTEXAS Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves 3 10-09-2009 10:27 PM
Moderators - Please... pretty please... Foiled Again Off Topic Forum 21 03-31-2006 04:29 PM
Advice please - Travels, Flags, Fuel and Caravans NickSowter On The Road... 6 06-27-2002 10:04 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.