Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2022, 02:17 PM   #1

Sebastopol , California
Absorption Refrigerator venting

Hello, My wife and I own a gutted 71 Tradewind. I am in the process of remodeling it and am now installing a new kitchen. The original layout had what was probably a 3 cu ft 2-way refrigerator next to the entry door. The original exhaust flu is still in place leading up to the roof vent. There is no lower side vent to the outside, but instead an 8x8 inch screened hole cut in the floor. Installation guides for every mid size absorption refrigerator I have found call for a lower side vent where the exterior access door is. Is it safe to install the refrigerator without the lower side vent but instead with an 8x8 floor vent? And if not, any thoughts on how to proceed? Thank you for your thoughts.
Lou P
LouP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 02:51 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
My previous Airstream was a 75 TradeWind with a the same configuration that you have. The only venting it had was in the floor and the exit up the chimney. The side door was solid with no venting. It sounds like you have the same setup.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 02:57 PM   #3
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
My guess is that they don't show the option to have venting from the floor because no modern trailers are set up this way. If I was to install a fridge in that space I'd keep the floor intake and just make sure that the overall dimensions of the air channel are correct. They shouldn't be too small, but be careful that they aren't too big either. You ultimately want the air to flow across the coils/fins in the proper place so that the heat is able to be shed to the passing airflow. Too large an air channel allows the airflow to bypass the coils/fins.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 03:06 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
[QUOTE=LouP;2570294]Hello, My wife and I own a gutted 71 Tradewind. I am in the process of remodeling it and am now installing a new kitchen. The original layout had what was probably a 3 cu ft 2-way refrigerator next to the entry door. The original exhaust flu is still in place leading up to the roof vent. There is no lower side vent to the outside, but instead an 8x8 inch screened hole cut in the floor. Installation guides for every mid size absorption refrigerator I have found call for a lower side vent where the exterior access door is. Is it safe to install the refrigerator without the lower side vent but instead with an 8x8 floor vent? And if not, any thoughts on how to proceed? Thank you for your thoughts.
Lou P[/QUOTE

The hole in the floor is how Airstream vented refrigerators until 1978 or so.

Regards,

John
Trnpk Crsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 03:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
All good comments and advice above. I don’t think you have any issues/problems with the floor vent, as long as you be sure it is mouse proof.

In my opinion you are blessed with having the chimney and roof vent — unfortunately Airstream moved away from this on their smaller trailers — because it is key to effective flow of the air. The other key (and you will see specs in their installation manuals) is very little dead air space around the unit and only a couple of inches behind it.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 08:53 AM   #6

Sebastopol , California
Thank you

Hey folks, Thank you very much for your quick and informative replies. They really helped me. I'm going to buy a new fridge today. Yea. Lou P
LouP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 11:30 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We had the hole in the floor for venting in our '72. Replaced it with solid floor, and then cut vent fins in the hatch behind the frig. Works fine for us. We screened the hatch, and have to vaccuum the screen off once in awhile to keep the air flow clear.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 12:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Sebastian , Florida
Kay (Minno) raises an excellent point about access for cleaning and maintenance.
Visible through the lower access door on our '20 FC is a black box (on the left side looking from behind) that contains electronics performing some essential function, but probably in a less failure proof way than Granddad's fridge. Allow for a removable side panel or a sliding track when you install.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote