Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2020, 08:01 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
AAA+ RV With Coachnet?

Hi,

I've been hearing good things about AAA Plus but still have CoachNet and my insurance policy has a rudimentary road side rider....

AAA Plus RV is ~$160 a year so don't want to get it if it doesn't offer a world more.

AAA web site is more interested in getting your money than breaking down the plan but what I gather well worth it if only road side plan.

What say you?

Thanks,

Trav
TravisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
I'm wondering if AAA offers different plans in different states.

I have AAA Premier which costs $119 a year and includes 200 free miles of towing for a trailer if it breaks down. This is in addition to other uprated travel benefits. This plan was only $28 more than our previous AAA Plus plan and seemed like it was worth it given that I'd heard of some folks having issues with Coach Net. Regardless, I just figured that if I was ever on the side of the road with a trailer that was no longer capable of being towed, I'd rue the day I didn't spend that extra $28 for additional options.

AFAIK, the Premium plan is the only way to get roadside assistance for a trailer from AAA so I can't speak to the AAA Plus RV plan you are referring to.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:25 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
I'm wondering if AAA offers different plans in different states.

I have AAA Premier which costs $119 a year and includes 200 free miles of towing for a trailer if it breaks down. This is in addition to other uprated travel benefits. This plan was only $28 more than our previous AAA Plus plan and seemed like it was worth it given that I'd heard of some folks having issues with Coach Net. Regardless, I just figured that if I was ever on the side of the road with a trailer that was no longer capable of being towed, I'd rue the day I didn't spend that extra $28 for additional options.

AFAIK, the Premium plan is the only way to get roadside assistance for a trailer from AAA so I can't speak to the AAA Plus RV plan you are referring to.
Are you sure it applies to RVs?

For some reason AAA literally hides the benefits until they gather data from you so I'm getting less enthralled about trying it!

Poking around the interweb reveals equally good or bad for AAA+ RV, CoachNet or Good Sam... Looks like luck of the draw.

I'd double check the premier as the Plus is only $91 BUT $161 for RV....Again I can't figure it out 100% online...

Thanks!

Trav
TravisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisH View Post
Are you sure it applies to RVs?

For some reason AAA literally hides the benefits until they gather data from you so I'm getting less enthralled about trying it!

Poking around the interweb reveals equally good or bad for AAA+ RV, CoachNet or Good Sam... Looks like luck of the draw.

I'd double check the premier as the Plus is only $91 BUT $161 for RV....Again I can't figure it out 100% online...

Thanks!

Trav
Well, I contacted AAA at the time and spoke to someone who assured me that trailers were covered for towing by the AAA Premium plan. Maybe they were lying. If you contact them and are told something different, please do post back here.

Anyway, below is an excerpt from the plan description on the web site.

What benefits come with AAA Premier Membership?
All AAA plans have roadside assistance in anyone’s car (up to four free service calls per Member each year), discounts at more than 100,000 locations including hotels and restaurants, and full-service travel planning with exclusive deals for AAA Members.

200 miles of standard towing, including bicycles, motorcycles, and RVs.

Free emergency fuel and delivery.

Up to $150 reimbursement for locksmith fees (home or car).

$25 savings on a AAA-branded battery with free installation.

Discounts at more than 7,000 AAA-approved auto repair shops.

Select DMV/MVD and notary services in most AAA branches.

Hertz Gold Plus rewards membership (free additional driver).

Member-only discounts at thousands of locations nationwide.

Expert travel consultants to help plan your next vacation, cruise, or getaway.

Up to $1,500 in trip interruption insurance.

Up to $500 in lost baggage coverage.

Free identity theft monitoring.

Up to $50 reimbursement for windshield repair.

Travel accident insurance ($300,000; worldwide for travel purchased through AAA).

Emergency medical transportation coverage ($25,000).

One day free car rental with a tow.

https://calstate.aaa.com/membership/aaa-premier

Old 08-08-2020, 12:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
We just have roadside service through geico. I think it's something silly like $20 a year. They won't tow the airstream but my truck can always tow it.... Unless it's untowable, then it's probably totaled at that point and our standard insurance kicks in. Three years full timing and still haven't had to use it. Been driving for 20 years and have survived this long without AAA. Just my honest opinion.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 01:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
We just have roadside service through geico. I think it's something silly like $20 a year. They won't tow the airstream but my truck can always tow it.... Unless it's untowable, then it's probably totaled at that point and our standard insurance kicks in. Three years full timing and still haven't had to use it. Been driving for 20 years and have survived this long without AAA. Just my honest opinion.
I can imagine situations where the trailer might be un-towable but not totaled. It's also possible that your TV could break down or be damaged and be unable to tow the trailer and in that event I'd prefer not to leave my $100,000 Airstream on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. AAA's service will provide towing for the TV and TT and will flatbed either or both if necessary.

To be sure, this kind of thing doesn't happen often and it's been a long time since I last had to call on AAA. It's like any other insurance; you can go years without needing the coverage...until you really do need it. As with many other things, you pay your money or take your chances.

Old 08-16-2020, 06:53 AM   #7

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
To be sure, this kind of thing doesn't happen often and it's been a long time since I last had to call on AAA. It's like any other insurance; you can go years without needing the coverage...until you really do need it. As with many other things, you pay your money or take your chances.
I used to tell my clients that insurance is like gambing, the insurance company is betting you don't, and you are betting you will; the actuaries are hired to set the odds to cover the bet.

Thanks
Matti
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:08 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Most of the confusion over what AAA offers in their Plus, Premier and RV / Motorcycle plans is that, as suspected by others, coverage does depend on the State in which you live. Some states have RV coverage in Premier, others don't and the specifics of the RV coverage also varies by state. I learned this when talking to the agent who added RV to our Premier Plan which in Louisiana is separate. Also in many states coverage does not take effect immediately (presumably so you don't break down, add coverage, wait a day and then call out the coverage). My coverage was delayed 14 days.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:09 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
AAA is the best I have used in 50 years on the road and many different insurance carriers both cheaper and more expensive.

Know one wants to use Road Service. However if you have to use it, I hope you have AAA.

Please, Compare them all. Coverage for coverage. Then compare coverage areas and availability where you plan to go. Different carriers have different limitations.

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 08:29 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
AAA benefits have changed effective 11/1/2020:

AAA will pay up to $500 per call to tow or winch motorhomes, trucks with campers and eligible trailers with a maximum of $1000.00 total per household over the course of a membership year. Members will be responsible for all other costs of service above the individual call limit and the annual aggregate limit. This changes the previous limits on RV benefits, including tow mileage limits.
ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote