RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-03-2020, 10:28 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
 
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 134
50 Amp On 30 Amp Service

Howdy,

Some of my winter reservations have been 30 amp instead of 50 amp.

I guess only one heat pump or AC if called for....

Hopefully I wont be needing AC and I assume I don't lose any other functionality...

Right or wrong?

Thanks,

Trav
TravisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 11:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master
 
2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,013
I don't see how you'll need two AC's or heat pumps in the winter. Here in Louisiana we only need two to cool off quickly and when we are in full sun, 80+ with very high humidity.

when the weather drops below 45 and it is humid the heat pumps start icing so we switch to a portable heaters (750W two of them).

Anyway there is no difference between 50A and 30A service except the power limit (30A instead of 100A - 50x2) except the plug style at the pedestal so you will need a 30-50A RV converter.
__________________
Brian
BayouBiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 11:27 AM   #3
Moderator
 
jcanavera's Avatar

 
2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,650
Images: 143
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
As long as you manage the amperage use, you can live comfortably on 30 amps. As a matter of fact even with my 30 amp equipped Classic, I've tripped 30 amp breakers at some campgrounds when using the 15K air conditioner, electric water heater service, the fridge on electric and and microwave at the same time. Air conditioner will pull 20 amps running full tilt and the water heater, refrigerator, and microwave will eat up the other 10 amps.

Jack
__________________
Jack Canavera
STL Mo.
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:01 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member
 
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisH View Post
Some of my winter reservations have been 30 amp instead of 50 amp.

I guess only one heat pump or AC if called for....
Our state parks generally only have 30 amp. Everything works unless we want to use both A/C's. I installed Easy Starts on both so I can use both A/C's, but if I do, I have to turn one off to use the microwave. I run the water heater on propane when we are running both A/C's on 30 amp service. I assume the heat pumps would operate in the same way, but if it is cold enough to need two heat pumps, we have been using the furnace instead.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 03:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master
 
Mollysdad's Avatar

 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 5,200
Blog Entries: 1
I learned that if the outside temperature goes below about 30, the heat pump will stop and the furnace will take over. It can be programed into the CCC-2 thermostat, and mine was, since I didn't even know about it. It was a pleasant surprise to walk out of the bedroom and find the floor toasty warm!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:15 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member
 
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 134
Thanks all!

Oddly I've yet to land at a 30 amp only...

I figured the 50 amp is really just for the both two AC to able to run full tilt! I tell ya it made a difference this last summer!

Trav
TravisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:37 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short
 
2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 9,048
Hi

In the winter, the only "use case" for 50A is to have both A/C's in heat pump mode. If you want it up around 80 inside when it's 35 outside, that *might* be needed. If it drops to 30, you probably have to turn on the furnace anyway. With a 25' trailer, it's *very* unlikely you would be in the "two heat pumps" mode ever ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:40 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member
 
Mikebrady62's Avatar

 
2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 339
I have found a limitation even on 50 amp. I can not use our coffee maker (Nespresso) and a hair dryer at the same time. I was very surprised by this. I would have guessed it would have been less than the 2 A/C's but with it being on 2 separate breakers, it does make a difference. Those 2 small appliances have a lot of wattage requirement.
We have used 30 amp outlets a few times (with an adaptor) without any issues.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:49 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member
 
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Mission , Texas
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 50
Images: 1
I use a 30 amp cord anytime temperature is below 50 degrees, because the 50amp 'anaconda' is a bear to coil up!
ghamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:54 AM   #10
Rivet Master
 
Mollysdad's Avatar

 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 5,200
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisH View Post
Oddly I've yet to land at a 30 amp only...

I figured the 50 amp is really just for the both two AC to able to run full tilt! I tell ya it made a difference this last summer!
50 amp is best allowing you to run any 120 VAC accessory without thinking about it. On 30 amp, you'll be plotting how to assign the 30 amps.
I think I went the first year without opening a window. As crowds grow and commercial campgrounds get more expensive, I'll be spending more time at state parks. Most are still 30 amp. (or <gasp> boondocking.)
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 02:44 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member
 
Napa , California
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 211
We run our 50 amp on 30 almost exclusively. You already know that it won't support 2 air conditioners and that is about the only condition you'll need the 50 amp for.

However, we don't bother with the heat pump when we "need" heat, it is only good for adding about 20 degrees to your interior and it is LOUD and depending on humidity and exterior conditions it may not work that well. If the temperature gets below about 40 outside, you are going to be cold inside even with it on.

So, if we really need heat, we turn on the furnace. It is quieter, it puts the heat into the trailer from the floor (heat pump puts out at the ceiling -great for cool air, not so much for warm air as that is where it goes anyway) and it is fairly efficient.

Last time out, with the thermostat set at 65 and the furnace on, we were so toasty we didn't realize the outside temperature had dropped to 20 degrees and we'd frozen the water input hose...No harm once it defrosted though, next time we'll be a bit smarter and unhook and drain it before that cold night.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:55 PM   #12
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745
 
guskmg's Avatar

 
2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,370
You need a 30 to 50 amp Dog Bone. If you are using a Surge Protector, just plug it in after the Dog Bone and it will work as before. There is an adaptor that will take a 30 and a 20 or 30 amp socket and viola you have 50 amp convenience albeit reduced power, i.e., 30 and 30 or 20 amps max.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:59 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member
 
2020 27' Flying Cloud
Howell , MI
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 77
A "50A RV Service" is actually a 240VAC/50A connection with an active neutral. As previously pointed out, it acts like two 120V/50A services and since Airstream units do not have any 240VAC appliances (to the best of my knowledge), this is what matters. That said, the 50A upgrade on an Airstream TT accompanies the two air-conditioner option. Note that in an RV wired for a 50A service, approximately half of the circuit breakers are on leg 1 (L1) and half are on leg 2 (L2). If, for example, you are trying to use a 1500W hair dryer and a 1500 W coffee maker at the same time and they are on the same circuit they will draw 25 amps. If the circuit breaker (or fuse) for that circuit is 20A or 15A, it will trip. Note that when plugging a 50A TT into a 30A service the required adapter simple takes one of the hot legs (L1 or L2) and bridges it internally to supply power to both the L1 and L2 circuits in the rig. But you still only get 30A maximum across all loads. As a final note, most circuit breakers, including the ones in almost all RV service pedestals, are only rated to carry 80% of the stated amperage on a continuous basis. Thus, for a 30A service, drawing more than 24A continuously risks tripping the breaker at the pedestal. For a 50A service drawing more than 40A on either leg continuously can do this as well. That seems less likely in a TT. This is not a hypothetical thing. We have been in RV parks with electrical service that feature old, worn circuit breakers that would trip more easily than they should. ~Bruce
BandLAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 05:24 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member
 
2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisH View Post
Thanks all!

Oddly I've yet to land at a 30 amp only...

I figured the 50 amp is really just for the both two AC to able to run full tilt! I tell ya it made a difference this last summer!

Trav
Here is a good article that explains what you get with 50 amp service and some other good advice. It seems to say that you get 100 amps of available power with a 50 amp airstream vs 30 amps of available power with a 30 amp Airstream. Based on this article the 50 amp is more than just geting 2 A/Cís.

https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electric...one-50-amp-rv/
__________________
2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax
Equal-I-zer Weight Distribution attached to the Gen-Y Torsion Flex Weight Distribution Hitch
"Roadrunner"
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 07:33 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member
 
Mikebrady62's Avatar

 
2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 339
This is Good Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandLAir View Post
A "50A RV Service" is actually a 240VAC/50A connection with an active neutral. As previously pointed out, it acts like two 120V/50A services and since Airstream units do not have any 240VAC appliances (to the best of my knowledge), this is what matters. That said, the 50A upgrade on an Airstream TT accompanies the two air-conditioner option. Note that in an RV wired for a 50A service, approximately half of the circuit breakers are on leg 1 (L1) and half are on leg 2 (L2). If, for example, you are trying to use a 1500W hair dryer and a 1500 W coffee maker at the same time and they are on the same circuit they will draw 25 amps. If the circuit breaker (or fuse) for that circuit is 20A or 15A, it will trip. Note that when plugging a 50A TT into a 30A service the required adapter simple takes one of the hot legs (L1 or L2) and bridges it internally to supply power to both the L1 and L2 circuits in the rig. But you still only get 30A maximum across all loads. As a final note, most circuit breakers, including the ones in almost all RV service pedestals, are only rated to carry 80% of the stated amperage on a continuous basis. Thus, for a 30A service, drawing more than 24A continuously risks tripping the breaker at the pedestal. For a 50A service drawing more than 40A on either leg continuously can do this as well. That seems less likely in a TT. This is not a hypothetical thing. We have been in RV parks with electrical service that feature old, worn circuit breakers that would trip more easily than they should. ~Bruce
I have read this before but thank you for repeating this in a different way. The more times and ways I read this information, the more sense it makes to me.
The funny thing about this is, I have an associates degree in electronic engineering that I never used and now today 40 years later, I think about the only thing that stuck with me is the difference between A/C & D/C current
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 12:14 PM   #16
Half a Rivet Short
 
2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 9,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrady62 View Post
I have found a limitation even on 50 amp. I can not use our coffee maker (Nespresso) and a hair dryer at the same time. I was very surprised by this. I would have guessed it would have been less than the 2 A/C's but with it being on 2 separate breakers, it does make a difference. Those 2 small appliances have a lot of wattage requirement.
We have used 30 amp outlets a few times (with an adaptor) without any issues.
Hi

Your coffee maker like pulls something in the 10 to 15A range. The hair dryer probably is in the same league. Between them that gets you up to 20 to 30A.

That's all fine and nothing should go wrong as long as they are on different breakers. If they both are on the same breaker, that one will trip. It's no different than the circuits in your home in that regard.

We have our coffee maker and toaster oven on the same kitchen circuit here at home. You can run one *or* the other. Fire them both up at once and you should be ready for a trip to the breaker box in the basement

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting warranty service (or any service) at an Airstream dealer SeaLevel General Repair Forum 37 12-18-2020 05:18 PM
Service snafu $&!&& and which battery is which amirm Sprinter and B-van Forum 25 07-04-2016 10:19 PM
Service A and Service B nesoutlook Sprinter and B-van Forum 17 12-14-2015 09:36 AM
Thirty Amp cord for new Fifty Amp service Msmoto Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 10 06-14-2015 05:58 PM
50 amp to 30 amp only service Pearson422 Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 13 10-08-2013 09:01 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.