Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2020, 02:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

MARILLA , New York
2021 model updates

Anyone know when the info on the 2021 models will be released? Other than the conformation of the composite sub-floor, is there any other information out there on the '21 updates?
Nicdem79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 02:29 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Cleveland , Ohio
Flying Cloud gets a tankless water heater, upgraded inverter/charging, interior finish/hardware updates, and a $1000 price increase. Mine goes into production in two weeks.

I've not seen conformation of the composite subfloor. Is that 100%?
matthewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 03:26 PM   #3
Lobber of midgets

2021 25' Globetrotter
2022 28' Pottery Barn
Springfield , Missouri
I'm also interested. Wonder if there will be any special editions and any changes to the different model trims.
Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 03:55 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

MARILLA , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk View Post
Flying Cloud gets a tankless water heater, upgraded inverter/charging, interior finish/hardware updates, and a $1000 price increase. Mine goes into production in two weeks.

A tech posted about it on the Airstream Addicts page. He was doing a custom upgrade on a 2020, when he cut into the floor, he saw the composite. He called Airstream to confirm, and they told him they started to transition to the composite subfloor on the 2020's, but do not want to advertise it until the dealers sell down their current stock. If given the choice, who would want to buy the plywood one.

Can you please give me some additional info on the interior finish / hardware updates?
Old 06-08-2020, 10:00 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
San diego , California
I wonder how you know If you have a composite floor? Color maybe?
JunkYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:11 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicdem79 View Post
A tech posted about it on the Airstream Addicts page. He was doing a custom upgrade on a 2020, when he cut into the floor, he saw the composite. He called Airstream to confirm, and they told him they started to transition to the composite subfloor on the 2020's, but do not want to advertise it until the dealers sell down their current stock. If given the choice, who would want to buy the plywood one.

Can you please give me some additional info on the interior finish / hardware updates?

I wonder what kind of composite...

Like that "plastic" wood decking at Home Depot? That stuff is not very strong in thin sections...I'd much rather have a good plywood and make sure I don't get leaks!
TravisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:06 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

MARILLA , New York
Its supposed to be light grey and blue inside. Some dealers have started to advertise it on their websites, and they say its one continuous piece.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:30 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Guess the real question is, "does it squeek" like plywood does? LOL We are taking our's back this fall to get that fixed...didn't have time last year under warranty to get this fixed, but they noted it on our paperwork, so still will be covered when we get there. Understand thats a day operation to fix? Anyone else have this fixed in JC?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 12:02 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' International
St Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk View Post

just spoke to airstream factory
i am pickiing up a 2020 internationl 27fbq
on friday
they said it had the new subfloor it came off the line on june 1

they also said 2021 getting a tankless water heater but only runs on propane
The Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 12:36 PM   #10
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Following the discussion!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 12:58 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
A composite subfloor is significant. Wonder how good of a product it is. Regardless, the hidden leaks that tear up the floor that you don't catch until it's too late are history!
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:54 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
San diego , California
I poked around on mine, even pulled a screw but couldnt see anything. I picked it up in late February. It had been on the lot a while but is a 2020. Im wondering if some of those stickers have the build date on em. Ill have to check when i get home.
JunkYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 04:30 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boise , Idaho
Several manufactures having been using composite sub floors for many years. Save 40% on weight and no mold. Our Lance has a composite subfloor. Now that AS is going with new subfloor, AS just moved up the list a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisH View Post
I wonder what kind of composite...

Like that "plastic" wood decking at Home Depot? That stuff is not very strong in thin sections...I'd much rather have a good plywood and make sure I don't get leaks!
mtbmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:52 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
It would be nice to know the exact supplier of the composite floor and if it’s Bluewater 26 or some other brand of Coosa board, or some generic composite flooring.

Coosa board is supposed to be the equivalent strength of plywood of the same thickness, but 30 or 40% lighter in addition to all the other many benefits.

This long overdue upgrade instantly makes all other past airstreams drop in value on the resale market. Conversely it makes buying a new airstream with the composite floor much more compelling and is a smart move for airstream once they start advertising it. Obviously they are not yet advertising it because there are probably many of the plywood floor trailers still on dealer lots that they have to move first
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 03:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
It would be nice to know the exact supplier of the composite floor and if it’s Bluewater 26 or some other brand of Coosa board, or some generic composite flooring.

Coosa board is supposed to be the equivalent strength of plywood of the same thickness, but 30 or 40% lighter in addition to all the other many benefits.

This long overdue upgrade instantly makes all other past airstreams drop in value on the resale market. Conversely it makes buying a new airstream with the composite floor much more compelling and is a smart move for airstream once they start advertising it. Obviously they are not yet advertising it because there are probably many of the plywood floor trailers still on dealer lots that they have to move first
Say what?? Not sure I agree with your theory here....how many folks do YOU know that are asking about the floor when they buy an AS?? I know I never asked and I have owned 4 now over 15 years... Most folks purchasing an AS are looking at the overall AS offering including towing, livability, and cost. Purchasing new always brings some features, but at the price for new today, either your going to go for it or your not! Don't see the "overall value" of a used or older "new" model going down because of a new floor in the 2021... I know when they added ducted AC, that was/is a big deal; still, I know folks who purchased 2014 models without who said it did not impact their decision...but LED lighting was a big deal, but older units just modified and resale with upgrades like LED are not much different then without.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 04:32 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Menlo Park , California
Changes for Flying Cloud and International are already out anyways now.
To my knowledge the Globetrotter gets a new 2-way fridge (no more propane) and changes on the rear dinette area for 25 and 27s.
Also without solar package the trailer comes with no batteries installed! Those would need to be installed by the dealer for extra costs...
chrispe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 05:21 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Say what?? Not sure I agree with your theory here....how many folks do YOU know that are asking about the floor when they buy an AS?? I know I never asked and I have owned 4 now over 15 years... Most folks purchasing an AS are looking at the overall AS offering including towing, livability, and cost. Purchasing new always brings some features, but at the price for new today, either your going to go for it or your not! Don't see the "overall value" of a used or older "new" model going down because of a new floor in the 2021... I know when they added ducted AC, that was/is a big deal; still, I know folks who purchased 2014 models without who said it did not impact their decision...but LED lighting was a big deal, but older units just modified and resale with upgrades like LED are not much different then without.
Well, you raise some interesting points. I think current or former airstream owners who know about the susceptibility of rot in the existing plywood floors would be more interested in getting a new model with a composite rot proof floor than investing in an older model. And I think certainly down the road in a few years used composite floor trailers will be worth more then used plywood floor models.

Having had to replace sections of my plywood floor twice already, I can tell you that airstream putting in composite floors in new trailers is a much much more substantial improvement then ducted air conditioning. I can camp in a camper with a loud air conditioner, but it’s really hard to camp in a camper with a moldy rotten floor disintegrating under your feet. It cost thousands of dollars and/or many man hours of hard labor to replace the floor or portions of the floor.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 06:08 PM   #18
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispe View Post
Also without solar package the trailer comes with no batteries installed! Those would need to be installed by the dealer for extra costs...
Look at it as your big chance to not get those 'horrible Interstate batteries", and install the ones you really want.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:23 PM   #19
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Chrispe we've had batteries and even indoor plumbing for years before AS started adding small solar panels for battery charging. Next we'll hear that tires are optional
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:41 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Menlo Park , California
@overlander: will do, will do...

@gary: what should I say? The main argument (which is actually true) seems to be, that the warranty with lead acid batteries starts right with delivery from the supplier not when the trailer finally finds a new home...
chrispe is offline   Reply With Quote