Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2015, 12:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1985 27' Sovereign
mckinney , Texas
1968 Overlander Big Purchase!

I have been looking high and low for an airstream and i have just landed an opportunity to buy one that is already set for what i need to do. The seller is in the bay area, CA.. and mentioned that the trailer is already done and ready to go as she gutted it and re-did it all over for her nail salon business.
I am super interested in looking into this; but b4 i give her a call, i would like some pointers on what to ask her about the trailer; coz not for sure why she is selling her business. FYI.. trailer only is going for 25k! Yeah.. that is a really big investment and would really really appreciate some input from the gurus on here. I am willing to pay for an inspector to meet me out there to look at it (i'm in Texas). So, if anyone is willing, let me know too.
Thanks in advance. Tried to attach some pics and it keeps failing.
will keep trying and i will update. Looks good but don't know what's in between those walls.

Excited almost new owner of an airstream!!
mkamanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
There are lots of things to look for when checking out a 68. I will say that for 25K it would have to be near perfect in every way and ready to go. I seriously doubt that all the mechanicals and axles and on and on have been refurbished and updated. Bottom line, for that kind of money you need to be getting a near perfect trailer. I would absolutely have someone who knows 66-69 era trailers look at it with you or for you. There are a lot of things you need to check and it takes experience to know what you are looking at.
If you were talking $2500 then it would be a different story.
I know things have gone up in the past few years since I redid my 1968 Trade Wind and others here can correct me but to me it seems very expensive for an Overlander, maybe a Caravel or Bambi but not an Overlander.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Price seems a bit on the high side. Sold my Bambi II for $23k last year and it had been totally redone.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:34 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1985 27' Sovereign
mckinney , Texas
Thanks for the input guys.
I'm waiting for an inspection report; i called and she mentioned that V & V brothers came and did an inspection on it; so i am waiting to get it and see what it says.
Anyone knows how to upload.. i am using the attachment icon and uploading .jpg file and says upload failed.

Thanks again!
Old 08-19-2015, 11:34 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
West Allis , Wisconsin
$25K? Seems high to some but it would be on the low side for either total investment by owner doing ground up restoration and way low for professional job. If the owner did it, ask for photos and receipts for work and product/parts purchased. Verify they are included IN THIS trailer. If professionals did it, who are they? Do they have a good rep? Can you call them? Most have websites and show progress on projects. Should be easy to verify what was done, then verify with inspection. Verify you don't have to start over due to items skipped by a nail salon user that would be needed by a camper, i.e. wiring, plumbing, holding tanks, off grid power, etc. Covered over rotten floors, rusty frames, old axles and leaks are important if you are trailering, but not as much for stationary business. Good Luck!
65Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:49 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Woodburn , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TWind View Post
There are lots of things to look for when checking out a 68. I will say that for 25K it would have to be near perfect in every way and ready to go. I seriously doubt that all the mechanicals and axles and on and on have been refurbished and updated. Bottom line, for that kind of money you need to be getting a near perfect trailer. I would absolutely have someone who knows 66-69 era trailers look at it with you or for you. There are a lot of things you need to check and it takes experience to know what you are looking at.
If you were talking $2500 then it would be a different story.
I know things have gone up in the past few years since I redid my 1968 Trade Wind and others here can correct me but to me it seems very expensive for an Overlander, maybe a Caravel or Bambi but not an Overlander.
What have you got against Overlanders ? Like me maybe that's the size and model he wants ? To me a Bambi or caravel is just a toy
shineybullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Values

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineybullet View Post
What have you got against Overlanders ? Like me maybe that's the size and model he wants ? To me a Bambi or caravel is just a toy
I doubt he has anything against larger trailers, but it is well established that the smaller trailers command higher values in todays market. I suspect this is due to ease of towing/storage and simplified remodeling due to limited size and systems.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
So, does the $25K include the business? Is that what you're looking for - a mobile nail salon?

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:59 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1985 27' Sovereign
mckinney , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Streamer View Post
$25K? Seems high to some but it would be on the low side for either total investment by owner doing ground up restoration and way low for professional job. If the owner did it, ask for photos and receipts for work and product/parts purchased. Verify they are included IN THIS trailer. If professionals did it, who are they? Do they have a good rep? Can you call them? Most have websites and show progress on projects. Should be easy to verify what was done, then verify with inspection. Verify you don't have to start over due to items skipped by a nail salon user that would be needed by a camper, i.e. wiring, plumbing, holding tanks, off grid power, etc. Covered over rotten floors, rusty frames, old axles and leaks are important if you are trailering, but not as much for stationary business. Good Luck!
Thanks for the suggestion, i sent an email requesting the receipts.etc... i already got the inspection rpt which was done a little over a month ago. Waiting to hear back.
Thanks again!
Old 08-19-2015, 03:02 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1985 27' Sovereign
mckinney , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
So, does the $25K include the business? Is that what you're looking for - a mobile nail salon?

Laura
Hi Laura,
Does not include business because i am in a different state, so i cant pick u her clients. I would haev to start fresh... but yes, looking for a mobile nail salon... sounds like u have something up your sleeve.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:21 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Nothing against Overlanders, I like them. My comments were based on the number of each type that were made. My understanding is that they produced more of the larger trailers and fewer of the smaller ones. Supply and demand. High demand for the small trailers that can be towed by the smaller vehicles of today, combined with fewer produced means higher price.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:05 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkamanu View Post
Hi Laura,
Does not include business because i am in a different state, so i cant pick u her clients. I would haev to start fresh... but yes, looking for a mobile nail salon... sounds like u have something up your sleeve.
I was just thinking that if the sale price included the business, it would affect the value of the "transaction". Looks pretty....

Here's the craigslist post:

Mobile Airstream Salon - Nail, Hair, Threading, Makeup

La Lacquerie is the first mobile nail salon which provides convenient and affordable services to professionals at their home or workplace.

ALL OFFERS WILL BE CONSIDERED!

Vintage Airstream Salon that meets California Board of Cosmetology requirements.

The salon has been featured in InStyle Magazine, Huffington Post, the Daily Mail and the San Francisco Examiner.

Clients include Google, Facebook, Gap, Old Navy, Electronic Arts and Ancestry.com.

Great social media and Yelp presence.

No debt or lease currently associated with the assets so they will be your's upon close.

Financial information available upon signing an NDA.

Newly renovated 1968 Airstream Overland Mobile Salon: 26 Feet long, Seats 4 customers, New electrical & plumbing, 100 Gallon water tank and 6 gallon continuous on-demand hot water tank, Full bathroom, Fridge, Pink vinyl wrap exterior, Heater and AC, New wheels/tires (less than 1,000 miles). New LED lights, bearings, brake assemblies, front and back windows, 220V wiring easily plugs into outlet or generator. Honda EU6500 Generator. Salon equipment and inventory details available upon request.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:29 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1985 27' Sovereign
mckinney , Texas
Oh wow.. didn't know it was already on CL.
I need to move fast!! Help! Go, No Go!??
Old 08-19-2015, 05:48 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkamanu View Post
Oh wow.. didn't know it was already on CL.
I need to move fast!! Help! Go, No Go!??
It's actually listed on a couple boards as business for sale.

I wouldn't do anything fast. As you titled your post, it's a "big purchase", a long haul, and for an Airstream with this much modification, it's value is compromised - especially if the foundation is not good.

Do you have more of the story? What exactly has been done/upgraded? The pictures are nice - pretty unit. But all you see are the cosmetics of one area. Did you get receipts, list of upgrades, or name of who performed the reno? You don't want a pig with lipstick - especially if the business side doesn't pan out.

Also - insuring a vintage Airstream is something to think about. The appraisal may help you get an Agreed Value policy but you should check into that further. I don't see that V&V Brothers is an Airstream dealer, et. al. I'm not sure how they could prepare a good evaluation. Not saying they couldn't, but just surprising.

No place for pedicures.

Laura
Old 08-19-2015, 06:00 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
check out this link and take a look at the checklists.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...ist-43294.html
(Damn, I can't get the links to open - use the search function on this site for "inspection checklist")

Here's a way to get a estimate of value: Price vs. Condition - Vintage Airstream

As mentioned previously, and with all vintage units, you need to know if the frame was inspected and/or repaired, axles replaced - and what capacity, flooring replacement, plumbing - is it pex?, size of grey and/or black water tank... electric winch, new inverter/converter... the wrap probably takes care of leaks

Have they weighed it? Does it come with a hitch system? What are you towing it with?

Take your time and get a real valuation on the "shop".

Laura
Old 08-19-2015, 09:05 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1985 27' Sovereign
mckinney , Texas
Ussaahhhhh!
Good deal.. will chk out the list.
Thanks!!
Old 08-29-2015, 09:49 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1985 27' Sovereign
mckinney , Texas
Update.. i decided to not pursue that purchase and invest in buying and restoring one instead; turns out will be much cheaper and i get to customize as i want.
Thank you all for the input.

Tags