Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2004, 10:24 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic S/O
Banning , California
16" wheels for my A/S

I have a 2001 30' Classic S/O 70th anniversary edition. I need two tires and wheels. I believe the factory Alcoa wheels are rated at 2200 or 2300 lbs each. Does anyone know the pro's & cons of going to a 16" wheel? or can you? Since I have to buy 2 now, I am investigating the best way to go, 2 factory or 4 wheels possibly wheels that might be better. any ideas??
Chipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 11:19 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Kirkwood , Missouri
Tires & wheels

Questions to ask yourself?
What is the weight rating of the 16" wheel ? Is there a 16" trailer tire to handle rating needed? Will that wheel tire combo be the same height and width to fit in wheelwell of trailer and proper bolt pattern to fit hub? One reason Airstream uses Alcoa wheels is they are rated for heavy load rating. I met a gentleman from Colorado on our way up to Vermont last summer. He had a terrible time with flat tires on his nearly new trailer [2001 30' slide just purchased as new in 2003]. Latter that same day I had a blow out, with my 2001 30' Classic. The next day I had another???? My tires were in great shape with correct pressure. When I finally got up to Burlington ran into same gentleman told him my tales of weighting for tow trucks to help change tire on 90 degree plus day with small sick child in truck. He proceeded to tell me that he found out why we were having such problems..... Some of the tires at the Airstream plant ended up on wrong units, improper rating needed "D" rating ended up with "C" rated tires. When we checked the rest of my tires one tire on trailer was "D" one was "C" and the spare was "C" his information seemed correct. When I got home and spoke with local dealer "Bill Thomas Camper Sales" they put Three more new tires on the trailer no problem, two had already been replaced. I also insisted on all tires being balanced, which i would have paid for but they would not let me. Bill Thomas is a Class Dealer!
Airstream does not believe in balancing tires!!!! They don't balance them at the factory! When I spoke to the factory reps. about this in Vermont they told me this was the industry standard and that there were no camper manufactures balancing tires. My response was we most Airstreamers don't buy these because threre average or just standard. I just got a blank look for that comment. Anyway not to bore you with my tire tales. But trailer tires are nothing to take lightly because my idea of fun sure is not camping on the side of the highway...

P.S. When you do get a blow out on an Airstream you may hardly notice unless someone tells you, they pull so well, that when someone pointed it out the tire to us it was smokin hot... Beware tire fires burn hot, we did not have a fire but they can be dangerous.
airstreamer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 01:11 AM   #3
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Before you switch to 16" wheels

You might want to read the caution which was posted on
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ion+and+wheels

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Inland RV Center, In
CAUTION

Use extreme caution when increasing wheel diameters.

Most trailer models "DO NOT" have enough wheel well clearance to accept larger wheel/tire combinations.

To do so, especially if the axles show signs of settling, and the trailer is loaded for travel, will allow the tires to rub on the plastic wheel wells, usually resulting in a fire that you won't see until it's way too late to put out.

Then, the fun really begins when you deal with your insurance company, and they find out that "YOUR" modification was the cause of the fire.

If Airstream felt that 16 inch tires were better than 15 inch tires, they would have installed them.

Again, use extreme caution.

Andy
[/QUOTE
Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote