Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2018, 08:44 AM   #1
Our "S" peeled off

2012 30' Classic
Topeka , Kansas
11th Hour, 11th Day, 11th Month

A special thank you to all who have served our magnificent Country by enlisting or commissioning in our Armed Forces. God bless you all for what you and your families have done to ensure our freedoms.
Airtream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Indeed - such a debt we owe you all for our freedoms.

We had the executive team from Team Rubicon in recently and Jake Wood talked about his response to the often heard “thank you for your service” comment he hears on the street. He said it can be kind of embarrassing but he changed his response from “you’re welcome” to “you’re worth it.”

Lump in my throat just typing it again here...

Thank you Veterans!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:55 PM   #3
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Yes...it should start from the top.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gettyimages-615295776-1024x1024.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	349.3 KB
ID:	327633  

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Yes, we owe everything to our veterans. God bless them all!

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men (& women) stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:31 AM   #5
bhooves

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Livingston , Texas
Veteran

From I flew an Army Huey '67/68 in an Assault Helicopter company in Vietnam, my service was freely and proudly given.
bhooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:33 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Boothbay Harbor , Maine
We also owe a tip of the hat for military families who sacrifice in a different way. My father was in the army 30 years with two tours of duty in Korea and two in Vietnam. My mother had to hold the family together without him, and in those days, with miserable pay. So, to all those who serve at home, giving their military spouses peace of mind that their families are safe and sound and waiting for them, I say "Thank you".
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:07 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnas View Post
We also owe a tip of the hat for military families who sacrifice in a different way. My father was in the army 30 years with two tours of duty in Korea and two in Vietnam. My mother had to hold the family together without him, and in those days, with miserable pay. So, to all those who serve at home, giving their military spouses peace of mind that their families are safe and sound and waiting for them, I say "Thank you".

Thank You indeed .
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:13 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
For those of us who have served there is a deep appreciation and admiration for our spouses and families who have had to endure our long absences not knowing if and when we would return. We owe them an equal amount of gratitude and respect.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:15 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Francisco , Indiana
Ok Robert Cross we get it.
Hickory
hickory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:59 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
Thank you, NEVER FORGET!
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:18 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Hurley , New York
The wife and I eat out frequently and something I have done for several years now is buy the meal for a veteran sitting there with a military cap on (usually an older gentleman) or in uniform. Neither I nor the waitress tells them who bought it. The waitress is to only say that it was paid for by another customer in appreciation for their service to our country. I am a Marine Vietnam veteran myself and the reception we received coming home should never be repeated. Try it sometime. It's only a few $$$. You'll be glad you did.
nuttinbutxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:07 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
I always remember my Dad, Bruce, on Nov. 11th. Not just because he was a veteran but because it was on Nov. 11, 1944 that he landed in France as part of the 12th Armored Division.

He spent the first two weeks in pup tents with continuous rain and temps in the mid 30's. He said everything was wet and he was never so cold as he was then. I often think of him, and others, when I'm laying comfortably in my AS and it is cold and wet outside.

And what he endured is only the tip of the ice berg as compared to what others have suffered!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan 1.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	327768  
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:27 PM   #13
MollyMac

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Hoover , Alabama
I am a rookie AS owner and travel on my own sometimes. Whenever I see an AS with a military sticker on it I always say thanks for your service. I lost my son John to PTSD. He did two tours in Iraq. He struggled mightily when he returned. So, he worked in the homeless community, which is populated largely with veterans. They always came to the shelter to see the skinny white boy on staff, because he knew how to talk with them. He could tell me what bridges they lived under. Sometimes he would go into crack houses to retrieve a veteran and take him to the shelter. His fellow staff members told him that was dangerous. His response was, "No, the battle of Falusia was dangerous." We must never forget, especially when they come home. Semper Fi to all you Marines on the road and happy veterans day to everyone.
MollyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:44 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I spent a year in Korea during the Viet Nam era. Our first child was born while I was there. He was three months old the first time I saw him in the Atlanta airport.

Missy held it all together for the year I was gone. For the prior year at Fort Bliss, TX she had to work to help support the family due to 50% pay cut I took when I left engineering and went on active duty. The families contribute as well as the veterans; after all, we had a place to sleep, meals every day and no one to take care of but ourselves.

I had it easy compared to today's vets. In my time if you did a combat tour it was one year and you didn't do another for three years. Today's vets suffer multiple deployments with insufficient time between them and insufficient VA support when they come home. One thing that is better is the public support; in my time returning vets were protested against, spit on, and worse. I try to speak to any active duty member I see and thank them for their sacrifice. I am at a loss for what to say when someone thanks me, but I like the suggestion in SteveSueMac's post attributed to Jake Wood. I think I'll steal that.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMac View Post
I am a rookie AS owner and travel on my own sometimes. Whenever I see an AS with a military sticker on it I always say thanks for your service. I lost my son John to PTSD. He did two tours in Iraq. He struggled mightily when he returned. So, he worked in the homeless community, which is populated largely with veterans. They always came to the shelter to see the skinny white boy on staff, because he knew how to talk with them. He could tell me what bridges they lived under. Sometimes he would go into crack houses to retrieve a veteran and take him to the shelter. His fellow staff members told him that was dangerous. His response was, "No, the battle of Falusia was dangerous." We must never forget, especially when they come home. Semper Fi to all you Marines on the road and happy veterans day to everyone.

MollyMac - so very sorry for your loss. I pray that happy memories bring you comfort and that a gracious God opens the gates to all who’ve suffered hell here on earth. Here’s one of my favorite songs sung by one of my favorite artists. Wishing you peace.

https://youtu.be/b0jKD48TrW8
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote