Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2003, 11:57 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Tampa , Florida
Wheel well clearance

I have aquied a 77' 6 meter minuete. I think I may have a bad axle, reading the below posts. I tried to look at Chas's pictures but the site is down.
The trailer appears to sit awful close to the tires. This trailer has barely been used. Is there a way to tell if my axle is bad?
Thanks for all of your help. We can't wait to enjoy her!
wardster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 05:09 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Wardster,

You got to get down below with a flashlight and look at the suspension arms that extend away from the axle tube. If your trailer is empty, you should see a definit downward slope on the torsion arm. If it is loaded, then it should still point down a bit. If it sits flat or is even pointing uppwards, then the axle is history.
When you take 5 or so steps back from the trailer, then you should be able to see a good portion of the tire above the rim. If you can barely see rubber at the highest point of the rim, where it is closest to the wheel arch, then the axle is toast.
InlandAndy has these axles complete. Mine were bad also. The new ones just arrived, i will pick them up later this week.
Removing the old axles was a piece of cake. Took me all but one hour to drop both of them.
Post some good pics in this thread, the forum members can help you decide.
Old 08-12-2003, 07:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
new axle

You can go look at our thread regarding the axle. Just got ours finished and the pictures are there for you to look at. Lowrider NO MORE!
loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 07:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Rivet

Wardster,

There is some good reading on this subject on inlandrv.com in the section on axles. They give you a spindel starting angle of 20-25 degrees downward unloaded and a maximum arc of 42.5 degrees to the bumpers.

I am going thru the same thought process that you are but, I need to get my trailer level and loaded to then judge that angle.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 08:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Axle

The literature that was with our Argosy had a flyer that gives a couple of interesting figures. I am not sure that they apply to your particular trailer. Maybe you can find similar info. It shows ground to underbelly clearance of 16" Recommended hitchball height is 17 1/2 or 18" depending on which flyer I look at. The flyer does not have a year or identifying date. If you sat on a level surface at the advertised tongue height you and then compared the front and rear frame to ground clearance, this might show any sag that you might be experiencing.
loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 10:20 AM   #6
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
It's really actually quite easy. Axles are either good, borderline, or bad.
Good axles will give the trailer a smooth ride, very little disturbance inside the trailer while travelling, and a definite downward angle of the torsion arms, especially unloaded.
borderline axles will have the torsion arms closer to level with a loaded trailer.
bad axles are what i just threw in the dumpster. Torsion arms were slightly pointing up with en empty trailer, and definitley pointing up with a loaded trailer.
Things left in the sink would end up on the floor after a trip. My gas lamp sock would disintegrate while driving. Soda pop in the fridge would darn near explode when opened aftera trip. ( like the cans got shook real good)
Bad axles need replacement NOW.
Borderline can be limped through the summer with light loads and easy driving, but why bother, they're going to go bad pretty quick.
Good axles are just that, good axles.
Chances are, if the trailers sits low enough to notice, then you'll need a new axle. They can be ordered with increased load carrying capacity. Andy advised me to get 3500lb axles for my 1971 Tradewind, to allow for more longevity and still have a smooth ride.
There you have it. No rocket science.