Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Wheel Wells
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2019, 12:23 PM   #1

Montgomery , Texas
Rusted through at base of wheel arch

Hi All,

I’m looking at a Land Yacht from the late 70s. The aluminum shell seems to be in great condition. However, I’ve noticed a significant amount of rust underneath with the worst area by far located at the base of the wheel arch near the kitchen sink. As I’m new to Airstreams and trying to buy something reasonably restorable, is this kind of damage a non-starter? I’ve pulled up carpets and seen the floor does have some watermarks in areas but nothing so extensive as to explain the amount of rust at the base of the wheel arch. Any suggestions on what this might be caused by and suggested remedies? Only one wheel arch is in this condition.

Thanks in advance for your tips and tricks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	67A9352F-1C2E-4FFC-96DE-3B89F3EF21E0.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	250.4 KB
ID:	348227
DonVes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 01:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums!

The typical Airstream trailer from the 70's and earlier, especially in the wet and humid southern states will have extensive floor rot, especially in the very rear, and considerable frame rust/rot.

So is it a non-starter? It depends on what you are up for. My opinion is that practically all trailers of this age, if they haven't already had extensive rebuild work are good candidates for a shell-off. The frames need to be repaired and repainted, the subfloor completely replaced, plumbing and electrical redone, or at least updated, most appliances replaced, and so forth. Basically what you are buying when you purchase a neglected vintage trailer is the shell--most everything else is going to need to be replaced or rebuilt.

If you don't want to completely rebuild a vintage trailer, then look for one that has already been rebuilt, or at least one that has been maintained and camped in regularly so that the deterioration isn't allowed to get out of control.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 01:49 PM   #3

Montgomery , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
Welcome to the Forums!

The typical Airstream trailer from the 70's and earlier, especially in the wet and humid southern states will have extensive floor rot, especially in the very rear, and considerable frame rust/rot.

So is it a non-starter? It depends on what you are up for. My opinion is that practically all trailers of this age, if they haven't already had extensive rebuild work are good candidates for a shell-off. The frames need to be repaired and repainted, the subfloor completely replaced, plumbing and electrical redone, or at least updated, most appliances replaced, and so forth. Basically what you are buying when you purchase a neglected vintage trailer is the shell--most everything else is going to need to be replaced or rebuilt.

If you don't want to completely rebuild a vintage trailer, then look for one that has already been rebuilt, or at least one that has been maintained and camped in regularly so that the deterioration isn't allowed to get out of control.

good luck!
Thank you! That’s good to know.

I’m keen to buy something that has a good shell but the rest can be lovingly restored. Also, it needs to be something that I can use in the interim since we’re building a house and the airstream will be our temporary accommodation. And eventually, a great road trip trailer (if I can convince the boss!).
DonVes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Well, calibrate your expectations on living immediately in a rotting, rusting neglected trailer.

All the window, door, and hatch seals are likely to be so dried out and cracked that they will leak. All the soft-goods will need to be replaced, and most of the major appliances. There is likely to be a critter infestation that will make the whole place stink of rat feces. The work required to get it to "liveability" will be a pretty big project, and it still won't be ready for the road.

The good news is, though, that if you can get the Boss to live in it full time for a few months, she should have no reservations about using it a few times a year as a travel trailer (unless she is so traumatized by the experience that she wants it given away the day the house is ready to move into).

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote