Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Roof
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-20-2018, 03:37 PM   #1
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Unhappy Well, I was wondering what I was in for... roof leak it is!

Dunno if this was the best place to post this but I figured when it gets resolved I'll follow up and post the details of the problem for other people's knowledge.

Took my new FC25(FB) home at the very end of October and have had to bring it to the dealer for a failed water heater circuit board, and then again weeks later for a converter circuit board failure.

So here I am in Houston and we had some heavy rain storms at the end of January (27th) and rain came in along a one foot section of a roof seam directly across from the door - over the bench next to the dinette area. Now, it wasn't more than a large glass full or so but the worst of the rain didn't really drag on for an extended time so I considered myself lucky and decided to keep an eye on things before panicking...

Well, come Feb 10th there were more storms that came through the area. Not only did more come through in the same place across from the door, but rain also came through on the wall behind the bathroom sink (out of the horizontal seam in the wall) and made quite a puddle on the counter. Not too much that a towel couldn't handle it thankfully.

To add insult to injury it dripped through around the circular vent in the bathroom, and it came through a ceiling seam in the bathroom over the toilet.

Started calling to get an appointment come the next business day and I'm bringing it in come tomorrow. The dealer has been outstanding the previous two times I've had warranty issues and I expect more of the same.

I'll ask for specific and detailed explanation of the nature of the problem and location etc as well as how the problem was rectified and will post back here in case it can benefit anyone else.

Be safe folks, and happy travels.

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:43 PM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Sorry for your troubles. Stories like yours are why I will probably never buy a new AS.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Sorry to hear about your problems. We thankfully haven't had any leaks yet. With leaks like you've described, I wonder how much moisture might have been absorbed by the insulation inside the wall.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:12 PM   #4
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
This has occurred to me. but I don't see as anyone will care or think it's a problem...it's upsetting to be sure...

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
Old 02-20-2018, 07:36 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
Sorry to hear about your problems. We thankfully haven't had any leaks yet. With leaks like you've described, I wonder how much moisture might have been absorbed by the insulation inside the wall.

I agree...what made it through the inner skin seems like it’d be only a small part of the total volume.

We’ve had stubborn leaks on our ‘05 Safari that was gutted and redone last year as well, leaks are so frustrating. We need to make that lunch meeting happen soon—we can vent about leaks and too much rain!! If we wait too long, we’ll be venting about heat and drought. Gotta love Texas weather!!!

Sounds like you’ve got a great dealer, look forward to hearing about it getting fixed for good!

Dave
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:36 AM   #6
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Airstream, when questioned about wet insulation states that it will dry out on it's own as long as the leak is stopped promptly. Says mildew/mold etc will not be a problem.

Fiberglass ought to shed the moisture they say. Furthermore they suggest heat pump use to warm up the roof space (ducted a/c) and dehumidifier to help it dry out.

Same for wood underflooring, if it's a new problem that hasn't gone on for any lengthy amount of time they say it will weather it fine and dry well as long as water is stopped and you allow it to air out etc.
Time will tell I suppose.
Grumble grumble....

Old 02-21-2018, 09:59 AM   #7
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Dave I'd like that, what you up to today [emoji38]

Old 02-21-2018, 11:13 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntley , Illinois
Leaks

We had a major leak day one with our 2015 25fb FC. NOT A DRIP. pooling water and flooding the beds as we drove through a 3 hour heavy rain. Stopped at factory. Some seal repair done but leak returned. Factory redid all seams Dry since. We will have all rechecked in the next year. Factory staff were great
cegardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:17 PM   #9
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Jeez I hope I don't have to go that far to solve this!

But I'm glad that's worked out for you folks, have to love those happy endings...
I know how you felt, crossing my fingers...

Old 02-22-2018, 12:11 PM   #10
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi wave man,

We're sorry to learn about the leak you described in your 2018 25' Flying Cloud. Please call our customer service and technical support team at*1 (877) 596-6111, option 2 so we can learn more and help.

Thanks.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:05 PM   #11
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Makes ya feel warm and fuzzy ☺ Thank you Airstream.

Just found out that it's the opinion of the head Tech at Holiday World Katy that the A/C Units were not properly sealed/caulked on the roof. They're being very patient with me too 😁

Good people there.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:30 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
We had one major leak where the water was streaming in from the top and i could tell it had to be the big seam on top toward the back. Used the thick 3M Tape on the outside to cover the seam - and leak went away. We did have leaks at the windows on driver side living area. Since ours was 7 years old and plan on keeping it for awhile - just decided to have the whole trailer resealed (not cheap).
Anders79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:35 PM   #13
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders79 View Post
Since ours was 7 years old and plan on keeping it for awhile - just decided to have the whole trailer resealed (not cheap).
Dare I ask how much? One day we all may have to face that after all...

Old 02-26-2018, 06:55 PM   #14
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Exclamation Roof

Turns out the gaskets on the A/C units weren't seated/fitted right.
They caught that right away here at the dealer and are now getting ready to install a new fan over the dinette/living area that was also leaking.

Might be an example of a rushed build at the factory, or perhaps new employees on the line not being up to speed yet, both issues have been discussed in these forums. Considering this is a new 2018 it does lend credence to the statement.

They've been doing a bang up job here at Holiday World in Katy, hats off the whole crew.!

It's worth reiterating that Airstream is standing behind their brand and working with the Dealer in making good on the mistakes - which does them great credit. Kudos to them
BC

Old 02-27-2018, 11:06 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
The reseal was approx 8K, but recognize that is for everything, not just the roof. They took all the old seals off of everything (door, windows, components on top) and resealed it all. Actually had it in the shop for weeks.
Anders79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:33 PM   #16
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
That does sound like a lot of work..

Old 03-19-2018, 07:33 AM   #17
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Update.
Had it back from the dealer for couple weeks.

Got some light rain yesterday while gone to work and I came home to a large 2’x3’ wet spot on the bed and obvious water entering through the length of the seam over the bed. Press near the seam and it poured out.

Slept in another spot. Light rain overnight, up at 8, water pooled on plastic bags arranged on the mattress...

Yet the a/c seals and gaskets were redone and a new fantastic fan installed.

What is leaking now?

Old 03-19-2018, 07:36 AM   #18
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Will be calling dealer for the fridge (not cooling on electric) so this gets added to the list.. divorce in the works and this will be 4th time in for work since home with the new trailer at the beginning of Nov. can I get a time-out from stressors please? [emoji23]🤪🤨

Old 03-24-2018, 10:35 AM   #19
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
So....again....water leaking through the interior shell over the street side bed in front, not far from the front a/c unit.

Happened during the day on the 18th last week while I was gone all day, and there had been light rain in the area that day so I naturally assumed penetration from outside but not so sure now. More came through that night with light rain.

I’m back parked at the dealer waiting for them to fit me in to investigate the leaking (and the fridge not cooling on electric) and this morning at 09:30 I’m tidying and water pours out of the same spot right next to me. No rain last night or for days....!

Can I ask... theories please to explain?
I’m thinking things like ...
1) one of the a/c units not draining to the outside...
2) condensate in the space in the roof...
-the ducting is not really cleanly mated/joined to the vents and to the grills where it enters the trailer. ...Remove a grill and you see gaps where air flows freely in and out of the ceiling spaces - and the COLD air blows out into the trailer but it also bleeds freely into the ceiling space and so does warm air when the a/c isn’t blowing get me?
There was no attempt to stop air flow in and out of the ceiling space so the a/c is not a closed system. I mean in a house a lot of effort is made to prevent airflow to and from the attic and the living spaces. And not just for energy efficiency right? Moisture issues too, I mean there wouldn’t be a drainage system designed in to get all the condensation out of the house otherwise, and if cool air can go into the ceiling and warm in and out and we’ll maybe you get my drift... not a tech or handy guy [emoji6] but there are issues there right?

Already passed the observation on to the dealer service dept.

Feedback valued... thx folks

Old 03-24-2018, 10:41 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
How...frustrating!

Maggie