Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Roof
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-19-2011, 12:46 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Las Vegas , Nevada
Vent Lid Change Frustration

It's a 45 minute drive and we're moving in a couple weeks, so I don't really have the time for this. I took it to a truck wash after returning from a great National Park and house-hunting trip. The guy handed the vent lid to me after blowing it off with the power washer.

I go buy a Werner 13' ladder (after reading the recommendations on Airforums). I climb atop the Bambi, following guidance read here. Took photos of the opening and brought the remainder of the old lid to an RV Service Center and the guy there sold me a replacement. I was excited that I was on my way to mission complete.

I returned to the AS to install it and found that the AC unit was so close to the vent that I couldn't attach the lid! I was out in the heat by now (in Las Vegas) and was bending the little curved posts to which I attach the lid. I finally got them on, but I didn't bother to bend them back as I might have to replace again. Too much bending and the metal will break.

Did I completely miss something. Was it supposed to be easy?

Also, I was surprised the top of my 2007 19' Bambi was NOT aluminum. It was white plastic.

Keith
Gastrolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
The roof panels are white painted aluminum, which helps keep your Airstream a little cooler in the summer.

The trick to installing the "New Jensen" lid is to use a rat tail file to clean up the flash around the inside edges of the molded hinges on the new lid. This will make the slots a little bigger and remove irregularities, so the lid will slip on much easier.

If you don't already have a FantasticFan, you will probably see the need for one in the near future. In fact, we have two on our 2005, 19-foot Bambi. You are probably using the air conditioner now in Las Vegas. However, when milder weather comes, powered fans give you a lot more cooling options, especially when boondocking. Also, FantasticFans have polycarbonate lids that are much less succeptible to UV deterioration, which is probably why your other vent lid blew off (if you still had the original lids, the plastic probably crumbled into pieces when the spray hit it).

The regular lids only last about one to two years; so if you decide to keep them, it pays to keep a spare in the closet. Unfortunately, unless Camco or the other suppliers have started making polycarbonate replacement lids, you'll probably replace both front and back lids every couple of years.

FantasticFan lids have a lifetime warranty. They probably won't last forever, but the company is great are providing free replacements for a lot of parts that wear out or break in normal use, some of which are beyond the fan's two year warranty. Check out their Web site for details:

http://www.fantasticvent.com/faq/kno...tly_asked.html
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:45 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Phoenix nailed it!!!

FF is a great company,(recently sold, hope the new team keeps up the CS).

They replaced one cover for us after 4 seasons. No charge!

You will definitely appreciate the added ventilation.

Bob
Old 07-19-2011, 07:12 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Kimball , Minnesota
Thumbs up Fantastic customer support

I have two Fantastic Vents on my Excella, one was damaged in a storm with a cracked lid. Fantastic is shipping me a new one, no charge. I have a 1989 Airstream and the lifetime warranty really is a lifetime warranty! What great customer support!
musketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Sorry about your vent cover.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gastrolith View Post
<snip> I took it to a truck wash
<snip> The guy handed the vent lid to me after blowing it off with the power washer.
<snip> Did I completely miss something.
I think you missed something...I wouldn't take it to a truck wash & power wash your trailer in the first place. The power washers they use produce way too much pressure - the water gets forced into the joints and loosens the sealant which makes your trailer more susceptible for leaks in the future.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:57 AM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by musketeer View Post
I have two Fantastic Vents on my Excella, one was damaged in a storm with a cracked lid. Fantastic is shipping me a new one, no charge. I have a 1989 Airstream and the lifetime warranty really is a lifetime warranty! What great customer support!
Glad to hear the FF company is continuing their great customer service.

WADR....I don't think the AS warranty had anything to do with them replacing your cover.... as Streams are now covered for a whopping 2 years.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:16 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
I suspect that if you had removed your air conditioner shroud you would have had enough room to work. Too late now perhaps, but something to keep in mind if you install a Fantastic Vent, which I also highly recommend.

Christopher
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:00 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
The roof panels are white painted aluminum, which helps keep your Airstream a little cooler in the summer.

[snip]

If you don't already have a FantasticFan, you will probably see the need for one in the near future. [snip]

Thanks! Good info. I have already been sold on the FF by the folks on the forums (fora?). I just needed to replace the vent lid for the trip to our new locale (Fort Collins, CO) where I hope to soon get the new FF installed.

Thanks to all who chimed in. I have one fan and love it. I look forward to getting the new one installed. Regarding removing the shroud, I thought that might help but noticed the star-shaped screw head. I thought I had left that driver at home, but realized too late that I did have it with me. Aargh!

Off to dinner...

Ciao!
Gastrolith is offline   Reply With Quote