Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Roof
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2006, 11:44 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Detroit , Michigan
up on the roof

A member of the local WBCCI unit used this set up to aid in the installation of a fantastic fan.

A piece of plywood is on top to provide a platform.

Click image for larger version

Name:	roof access.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	17437

Looks like an easy and safe set up for getting on top.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
That looks like a good idea, we have been looking into ideas about how to work on top. I'm sorry but all the guys that had stated you can just walk around up there that does not work. My husband attempted to climb up there and it just didnt seem sturdy enough plus we were not wanting to cause any damage.

Becky
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 06:52 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Leonardtown , Maryland
Up on the roof

I have done extensive cleaning on my roof. but I am a little large and caused several cauking seams to separate due to flexing. I will use several pieceses of plywood on my next roof walk.

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:32 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
Oakland , California
Make a Square Plywood Donut

For installation of my Fantastic Vent, I took a 4'x4' piece of 1/2 inch plywood, cut a 20"x20" hole in the middle and covered the whole thing in carpet underlayment so it doesn't scratch the aluminum. It spanned the ribs of the roof and safely distributed my weight. It also allowed access to all sides of the vent to ease installation.

To get to the roof, just lean a ladder against the Zip-Dee awning housing. I placed an old blanket over the awning housing to make sure the ladder didn't scratch it.

Good Luck!

-Mark
Mookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 10:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Little Giant

Looks like a Little Giant ladder. Home Depot has an exact duplicate made in China (LG's patent expired) for $200 for the big one and $100 for the small. This looks like a big one. I have one; very handy. never thought of this; good idea.
JimGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
I do agree that there are a lot of interesting ways that the top of an AS can be accessed. I think how one choses to do it would depend on the nature of the task and how heavy they are.

I installed 3 new Fantastic fans on top of my 1973 31' AS. I also weighed in at about 240lbs at that time (have lost some weight since then). I found that as long as I was carefull where I put my weight I could work up there just fine with some soft rubber knee pads. Just make sure you put your knees on or near the body ribs and you will be fine. You can easily find the ribs by looking at the rivet pattern. Also I just pushed with my hand to see how stiff things were before I placed my knee in a given spot.

Also make sure you wear shoes that wont scratch the aluminum. I have a pair of Lands End slip ons that have been awsome for working on the AS. They are completetly waterproof and extremely durable. They also sell for around $30 which is a bargin in my book considering what I have put mine through (and they are still going strong). Check out the following at Lands End. I bought mine a while back and these new ones seem a little different - maybe better. I think you might be able to buy them at Sears stores now too.

http://landsend.com/cd/fp/prod/0,,1_...11196715112620

I have a folding metal ladder that I used to climb up. I used some pieces of foam pipe insulation to wrap around the top part of my ladder legs (one piece for each side). That way I could move the ladder any where I wanted without having to move my padding first.

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote