Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Roof
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2011, 04:10 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Venice , Florida
Ugh! It's time for the roof.

I have done all the cleaning, painting and fixin' that I can do on my Overlander, now it's time to move to the roof. The problem is I just don't know where to start. The PO munged things up so bad that it just seems like an overwhelming job. I gave it a good inspection and found no missing or loose rivets. The white sealer seems to be cracking and peeling. We have had a couple of bad storms and the trailer is bone dry. My main problem is that the PO installed a luggage carrier around the roof AC unit and then removed one of the vent covers to help it breathe. He covered the vent opening with a dish pan! I'll include a picture hoping that someone can give me some guidance and / or words of encouragement.

Doug

DougZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
That brown thing.. is that the dishpan? Awesome..
You are in good shape. Roof doesn't leak, so you are 90% finished.
So why can't you just replace the new dishpan with a new dishpan and repaint the top with sealer?
Old 02-03-2011, 05:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Are you saying that the air conditioner is inside of the roof top carrier box with the latches? If so, do you have to open the carrier lid to use the air conditioner?
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:58 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Venice , Florida
The AC is cooked. I assume it's from a lack of circulation. I guess more than anything, I want this to look good. The vents are ugly but a necessity. The luggage carrier has to go. It's my guess that I'm going to find a leak somewhere inside of it which is why the PO probably put it up there. I have plenty of aluminum to remove the AC and put down a new base for a new one, but I lack any experience in this.

Doug
Old 02-03-2011, 08:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Here is what I did....

Get some scaffolding to work from. You can rent 'em. Ladders are to dangerous for this work.

Take the cover off the AC...it is only 1/2 dozen or so screws. You need access. Get rid of the vent cover pan. Get a Fantastic or whatever type vent you want. Get rid of all the other junk that has been installed up there....may involve drilling out rivets but its no big deal. If you have some bigger holes....make a plate to cover them and screw them down...use gaskets and vulkem....you now will have a sealed inspection plate...useful in any future access.
A gallon of aircraft paint stripper. Removeall or wimpy strippers make it a real pain to strip the roof. Do it once with the good stuff. Paint on the stripper in small areas...like 3 sq ft or so. You let it do its magic and then using a metal...plastic won't do....well it will do once....paint scrapper, carefully remover the paint which has loosened up. You may have to do it twice. I have news paper...lots of it...layed out in several layers spread right beside the work area on the roof and use that to wipe the residue into. It folds up and is disposable quickly giving you a fresh clean area for the next residue.Then with a wet paper towel wash the stripped area clean. A final wipe with mineral spirits should clean the area real well. I actually use aluminum wool or scotch brite green pads for the wash up or second strip session. Do this procedure to the whole roof.
Olympic rivets are great to fill any holes remaining up there after your clean up.
I use Sealoflex white sealer/paint for the roof coating. It goes on smooth with both brush or roller...I use a small roller and it is nice. It also acts as an almost rubberlike seam/hole sealer. Water clean up too.
I installed the vent before the paint because I like the seal it provides.
This is a neat job and you get the reflective benefits too.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
First thing I would do is remove the carrier box and see what's going on with the air conditioner. See if the air conditioner works with the box removed, and if not replace it with a new one. Then get the correct cover for your roof vent. Re-coat the white part of your roof and your done!
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Venice , Florida
When I got home from work tonight I looked on the roof again. I feel much better with the input from everyone. I think step one is to get some scaffolding so I can get a true evaluation of what needs to be done. Thanks to all for you input. I would greatly appreciate any other input from those who have climbed on top of their AS.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f478...oof-66345.html
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote