Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2020, 09:19 AM   #1
Perpetually Perplexed

Mobile Rail Bunkhouse
Farmington , MO
Thick Tar-like White Toothpasty Goop on my Roof

I did search but "toothpasty" generated zero results.

Seriously, I'm sure we're not the first owners to find that a previous owner mopped a thick slathering of messy goo on their unit... any guidance on how to start to remove it?

Heat gun?

Brake Cleaner?

Some other third thing?

Krek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krek View Post

Quote:
... any guidance on how to start to remove it?

Heat gun?

Brake Cleaner?

Some other third thing?
Yes, all of the above!

Unfortunately, not knowing what the toothpaste $#!+ is - it's hard to say what is going to work with it. I suppose it was a previous owners attempt to either 'seal leaks' or achieve a 'white roof' to keep the trailer cooler. If it's a standard EPDM RV roofing material that the 'white box' people use, Mineral spirits or Xylene may work as a solvent to loosen it up enough to scrape it off. Start in a small area and test different solvents & use a plastic putty knife-like tool to get the chunks off, then use more solvent to remove the residue left behind. We had good luck with Permatex Gasket Remover for silicone & unknown 'goos'. But be careful, it will etch &/or melt plastic and it is nasty stuff that burns if it gets on your skin. Toxic too - I'm sure! We just used it on smaller areas.

If that covers the entire roof, that's going to be a huge task. I would seriously consider replacing the panels rather than trying to scrape all that 'stuff' off. The amount of time, effort & product (whatever you end up using) is going to have to be weighed against the cost of new aluminum. The main portion of the roof is flat and the cost of the aluminum is going to rival the cost of product, time & labor. Not to mention, the aluminum has probably oxidized to varying degrees though that stuff - which will make if very blotchy even when the goo is gone. If that's the direction you decide to go, I would then just focus on the parts that aren't flat - like the end caps and other 'unobtainium' bits like stacks & to a lesser extent vents. I would especially consider replacing the panels if you plan on polishing it - but at 33', that's another big undertaking! Yikes!

Good luck!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
. . .
I would seriously consider replacing the roof panels rather than trying to scrape all that 'stuff' off. The amount of time, effort & product (whatever you end up using) is going to have to be weighed against the cost of new panels. The main portion of the roof is flat and the cost of the aluminum is going to rival the cost of product, time & labor.
. . .
Wondering if you have reviewed Krek's resto thread linked in his signature?

["36 foot 1962 Mobile Industrial bunkhouse built for Southern Pacific Railroad"]

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f53...se-211297.html

Seems as if replacing all the roof panels might be Herculean task IMO.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 10:03 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:

Seriously, I'm sure we're not the first owners to find that a previous owner mopped a thick slathering of messy goo on their unit... any guidance on how to start to remove it?

Heat gun?

Brake Cleaner?

Some other third thing?

Try Roof Goop.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 08-19-2020, 10:07 AM   #5
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
A oscillating tool with scraper attachment will take it off
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 10:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Wondering if you have reviewed Krek's resto thread linked in his signature?
Nope, I hadn't (yet) - but being that the interior is exposed, I would encourage replacing the panels even more. We've replaced several panels on two of our trailers and helped out on several friends. It's not tough...it's way faster than stripping unknown substances and with the interior removed, you can easily buck rivets.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 01:19 PM   #7
Perpetually Perplexed

Mobile Rail Bunkhouse
Farmington , MO
I'm not opposed to replacing the roof skin if it's quicker and cleaner. Besides the gigantic topper for the (now removed) furnace, we'll be relocating two plumbing vents and there's a poorly done patch where something about the size of a tennis ball pierced the roof... oh, plus the large pieces of angle iron from the former evaporative cooler.
Krek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 11:13 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
That white "tooth pasty" stuff looks like the Kool Seal product I used to put on the composition roof of my 36 ft Spartan many years ago. Paint thinner worked to soften it if I needed to scrape some off. It would scrape pretty easily so it would be at least worth a try in this case.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 12:12 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Auckland , New Zealand
Two 1gal cans aircraft stripper =$100.
Hire water blaster over 2 days =$100
Do it on a cold day cover with plastic sheet to aid the softening process. Finish with 3M hand scrub. Captain Tollies sealler on all things rivits 1hr !
Talk about a can off worms if you think removing all thoes roof alloy sheets n rivits, redrilling new sheets to match old sheets rivit holes, resealing edges, removing major interior walls , droping ceiling panels to buck rivit , WHAT AM I MISSING HERE ?
Voltair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 12:19 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1993 25' Excella
Flagler Beach , Florida
Quote:
I'm not opposed to replacing the roof skin if it's quicker and cleaner. Besides the gigantic topper for the (now removed) furnace, we'll be relocating two plumbing vents and there's a poorly done patch where something about the size of a tennis ball pierced the roof... oh, plus the large pieces of angle iron from the former evaporative cooler.
ur on the right track.....new roof
AFTER TAXES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 12:21 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Auckland , New Zealand
Also 1 tube off Sikaflex 221 for all the vent patches ect =$30.
�� ing at that stuff on the roof it dosnt look Hi Tech it looks to me that it wants to fall off on its own accord anyway.
Voltair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 01:00 PM   #12

1999 30' Excella 1000
State College , Pennsylvania
It actually looks like Drylok. The way it is peeling makes me think so. If so, you may need to use an automotive paint stripper.
Tamatowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 01:57 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
Try gently heating with the heat gun and a plastic scraper, then chemicals for the residue. My Last resort would be replacing the panels.
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 03:19 PM   #14
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Take a few pieces and try different solvents to find out the easiest and safest removable technique. If it is silicone, gasoline, kerosene, or naphtha will work. Be careful and don't use a heat gun around flammables. Mechanically removing can also be done with a hard sharp plastic scraper. Airstream makes their own clear plastic scrapers. I have one that was left on the top of the rear window "U" channel. It made the trip from JC all the way to Fort Worth.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 05:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
. . .
I have one that was left on the top of the rear window "U" channel. It made the trip from JC all the way to Fort Worth.
guskmg
A testament to how smoothly Airstreams tow!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote