Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2017, 05:44 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1987 33' Argosy
COLLIERVILLE , Tennessee
roof repair problem

Hello all, 1987 32' Airstream Argosy. Purchased this summer. PO said roof was sealed within a year. ok roof leaked near the bathroom vent and the bedroom vent. just a few drips but none the less I wanted to fix. My inspector indicated the roof needs to be resealed. I looked and it has many areas where the roof material or epoxy is shrinking/cracked or separating. Long story short I found a travel trailer repair person that is quite knowledgeable but has not discovered how to get the epoxy glue off the roof to clean it for a new seal job. He has tried a sander, wheel brush nothing seems to remove this gray coating of epoxy.

Thoughts? Anyone know of a chemical or product that will loosen it up for removal? This is a huge job and has to be cleaned before it can be resealed. I will add pictures soon.
Thanks all.
Bob
B and R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:45 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Land Yacht
St. Catharines , Ontario
I just finished scraping my 89 Squarestream roof, basically the same trailer. I used a heat gun and scraper to get all the old sealant off. Some stuff was really hard and I sanded with 220 grit. I've got the whole roof stripped now, and the inside is gutted so I know where all the trouble spots are on theses things. Hopefully the resealing works and I can get started on the new interior. We'll find out in a few weeks.
I'll take some pictures of the bedroom vent hole and show you my theory why it may be leaking. See also, Let the Squarestream Reno begin, in the Squarestream forum.
ktmkirby is offline   Reply With Quote