Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Roof
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1987 33' Argosy
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Roof re-sealing

Hello, I have a 33' 1987 Argosy. The previous owner re-sealed the roof with some unknown stuff. I doesn't look like Dicor. I am planning to re-seal the seams and things that stick up with Dicor. So I have scraping off the old stuff 'as we speak".

On the top is a large rectangle patch that has been covered with the same sealer. The area is about 3/4 the size of the entire roof.

Are there seems under there? Should I scrape off the old stuff and re-seal that too? What should I use? It is a huge area to use Dicor on. Is there something better/cheaper?

Thanks in advance for your help with this.

Daniel & Naomi.
tworavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:01 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Did they use Kool Seal or something similar to that?

koolseal.com: Home

Chris
Minno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1987 33' Argosy
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Thanks Chris, It may well be Koolseal I really don't know. Is Koolseal good stuff?

Whatever is on there is in pretty bad shape but it may have been there for many years. Are there seems on top of the roof? There is some brown stuff under the white stuff that I am not sure if I should scrape/sand off or just seal over.

Thanks,
Daniel and Naomi
tworavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
My experience with it is limited. I used some on an SOB trailer years ago. Although Kay's dad used it years upon years ago, and he was the one that recommended it to us. I would think it would be a real bear to get off, so I might be tempted to leave what's there in place, and maybe roughen it up with a heavy grit sandpaper. That would provide teeth for the new stuff to stick to. But, then you have the problem of having multiple layers and extra weight. I think no matter what you do, it's gonna require lots of elbow grease.

I don't know that much about Argosy's, so I can't 100% answer the seam question. I think the biggest difference between an Aistream and an Argosy is that the Argosy's have fiberglass end caps instead of aluminum, and they are painted. If the shell construction is pretty much the same, then you'll have a center roof panel connected to the upper side wall panels. So, one roof seam down the length of the trailer on either side, plus the seams where the end caps attach.

Chris
Minno is online now   Reply With Quote