Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2017, 12:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1987 33' Argosy
COLLIERVILLE , Tennessee
roof needs resealing

Hello, I have an 87 32' argosy. 2 drips inside led to inspection and now the roof needs cleaned and resealed. It appears whoever did it last time used some sort of epoxy on the seams and around vents etc. This epoxy is shrinking, peeling in spots separated in other areas. My trailer repair guy has not seen anything like this before in terms of a roof sealant. He has sanded, brush on a drill, heat and nothing is working hardly at all.

Thoughts please on a solvent, process to remove the gray epoxy. I will try to get pictures for viewing. Thanks all.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG953496.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	299331   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG953499.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	299332  

B and R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:28 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Land Yacht
St. Catharines , Ontario
I had the same stuff on mine, although not as much. Scraper, heat gun and five days did the job. That seam that runs the length of the roof is riveted about every foot, so if you're using a sander, be careful that you don't sand the heads off. I will be sealing that seam with Sikaflex, then overtop with Eternabond tape.
ktmkirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:44 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2007 19' Bambi
Midland , Texas
Rivet OP Update

I contacted AS trying to find a replacement since the original was so bent. Wasn't sure I could get it straight without breaking it completely.

Found out that the part, "Antenna Trough", is obsolete and out of stock. I was told nothing like it is used today(?). However, AS Customer Service sent me the engineers drawing from manufacturing archive. I'll be taking that to a local shop to have a new one created.

On reinstall; I recognize 4 more rivets is 4 more likely leaks but think it may be worth it to make sure it stays put. I was planning on treating those rivets the same as AS treated the roof vents etc. With a very healthy dose of AdSeal.

AS lathered on the AdSeal at the roof vents and that all needs maintenance after 10 years anyway. Anyone know of a better way or product to reseal on top?

Thanks.
racoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I purchased Bus Kote on Amazon. I have the As scheduled in when warm enough. Will clean, remove existing caulk replace the boots on vents before Bus Kote.
Quote of $750.00 plus supplies. I WAS going to do myself when in Texas, but that is when they had the rains. The work will be done inside , which I don't have, so won't have to put up with weather.
May have to replace front FF as that is where leak is. Maxx fan ???
Will mask to "outside" of rivets so seam and rivets will be covered.
mj
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote