Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Roof
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2007, 10:38 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Flagstaff , Arizona
Roof Hatch

Hi everybody,

We have a 2006 Safari 19' Bambi and when we were out the last time I noticed that the rear roof hatch was broken. This is the hatch that is over the bed. The hatch had broken off of the raising and lowering rod. I called a local RV repair place and they wanted to know what size the hatch is. They didn't tell me how to measure it. The size of the opening is 12" x 12" but I'm not sure that that is the right measurement. I know that the plastic part that opens and closes needs to be replaced but I bet that the whole assembly does not need replacement.

The other thing is how do I know if a place is reputable or not? I would like to find someone local to go to since the dealer where I bought our Bambi is about 3 hours away. Your thoughts and direction are always appreciated.

Flyguy
flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 10:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
hatch

Why not call the factory at JC and see if it is covered by a warranty? In either case I do think that the cover is the only part you need and that A/S Parts dept will have that item in stock. Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 03:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Flyguy...the dome on our non-fantastic vent (over the bed) of our 2006 19' Safari Bambi had to be replaced as well...it was cracked where the lifting rod attaches to the plastic dome on the back side (the side that lifts up)... it was replaced under warranty...as should yours. We had the work done at Oasis RV Center (Airstream dealer in Tucson...(800) 658-5863)...they will know exactly the size you need and I am sure they have them in stock...and they are reputable. I don't think it's a difficulat repair to make.

TB
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 04:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Just a thought...............

Instead of replacing the dead vent over the bed, why not add a Maxx-Air or Fantastic fan. You wouldn't believe the extra ventilating power that you get with 2 powered fans....one bowing out and the other blowing in

I have 2 Maxx-Air fans and use them in the push-pull mode often. The nice benefit of the Maxx-Air over the Fantastic is the ability to use it in the rain, as the cover simply hinges up, but stays in place to prevent water from entering the trailer.
lewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 04:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
i'm not a big fan of Fantastic Fans right about now... ever cleaned the whole asembly?

kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fantastic fan 01.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	45478   Click image for larger version

Name:	fantastic fan 02.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	45479  

Kevbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 04:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevbo10
i'm not a big fan of Fantastic Fans right about now... ever cleaned the whole asembly?

kevin
One more nice feature of the Maxx-Air fans. The inner screen assembly is secured by 4 spring loaded clips that swivel out of the way. Takes about 2 seconds each for easy access to the blades for cleaning.
lewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 05:57 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I put one of Inland's Solar domes on the rear vent in our coach, it was very easy to do. I also replaced another vent with a Fantastic, that install went well also. Front and rear vents have Maxx-air covers, the rear one has no fan in it, but I like the fact I can leave it open in the rain. In fact, I leave front and rear vents open when not using the trailer, it keeps it from being quite so much an oven.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:20 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Flagstaff , Arizona
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I think that I will replace the entire vent and go with the Maxx-Air setup.

Flyguy
flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote