Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2004, 01:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

I currently do not own an Airstream
LASALLE
Roof damage from tree

Greetings Everyone!

I just aquired an Argosy 28 foot with roof damage from a tree. It looks like the roof bows may have been bent slightly. Currently, according to the previous owner, the roof is not leaking.I am thinking about using a hydraulic jack on the rib from the inside to try to jack it up high enough so I can re-install my overhead storage compartment, which fell slightly during the accident. Naturally the floor will be braced from beneath the trailer as well as 4x4's spanning several cross members to help support the the hydraulic jack.
The exterior roof panel has a nasty dent in it but the damaged area can hardly be seen from the ground. the trailer has been painted with Dupont Imron but not in the damaged area. It stops along the top logitudinal rib line (probably to save on paint),the old paint is still on the roof, but this may work to my advantage.
I am calling all hands of the "multi rivet" brotherhood & sisterhood to let me know if I'm on the right track here. Any input in this repair would greatly be appreciated.

thanks John L
JOHN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 01:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Check out this thread, then I would get in contact with campcollector. He has the experience you need.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 06:12 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

LASALLE
campcollector?

Still havent heard from campcollector. Can anybody help?
Old 06-13-2004, 01:36 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Roof dents

Sorry not been checking the mail for awhile. More info on my expierince can be found in the BAmbi forums 1999-2004 under before and after pictures etc. Also photo albums

http://www.airstreamphotos.com/photo...00/ppuser/2656

To replace the ribs the entire interior and inside roof panel need to be removed.

It may be possible to use a porta power ram to push it back up without removing the interior skin but that may be kinda risky not being able to see all the damage and it may pop out some rivets.
Post some picts for a better idea of whats going on. Inside and exterior roof.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ribs small.jpg
Views:	644
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	7163  
Old 06-13-2004, 05:22 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

LASALLE
Thanks for responding Campcollector!This sounds like a winter project! Good point about poping rivets. The rivets couldn't be replaced with the interior in place. Is there a tool that can be purchaded to install these rivets?(such as a pnumatic riviting gun) If so, where can I get such a tool to add to my inventory?
How difficult is it to remove the headliner? I do have experience in this field. My previous employer was a school bus manufacturer. We use to repair headliners an it was quite a chore. I swear there's a million screws to put in. Most repairs were done without the seats in place!
Old 06-13-2004, 06:03 PM   #6
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
John,

In your 77 the center dome is easy (sort of) to drop. Remove the inner AC cover, and if you have an Armstrong AC, the interior air box, 4 more screws.

Then remove TV antenna handle, interior vent screens and lights. Drill out the rivets as far back as you wish to go. You will need to cut the plastic edge trim near the front dome. Then with the rivets out grasp the front edge of the center sheet and bow it out. Once you get it bowed far enough it will slip right out of the silver tracks that run the length of the trailer.

The rivets can be replaced from the outside with an Olympic style rivet. It works like a pop rivet, and requires shaving but does not require access to the backside of the skin. The shaver runs approx $200.00.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 06:04 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Research+time=solution

There is alot of info to be found on these forums about rivets and tools, Olympic rivets air riveters etc..... I would reccomend searching the threads on these topics and find out what process best suits your needs.

No need to repeat the already ecellent posts of folks who are far more knowledgable than I.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:25 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
bay city , Michigan
where to get roof bows

CampCollector who was your source for the bows and such to repair your A/S
FireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 09:00 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Parts

I got my parts from my local AS dealer. the ribs were about 38 dollars apiece and he had them drop shipped to my address.
Old 06-15-2004, 05:32 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

LASALLE
Thanks

I'd like to thank "Thenewkid64",Campcollector and Firefighter for all of this great information! It's funny on how Campcollectors misfortune can help others in need. It also sounds like thenewkid64 has walked this walk before as well. It looks like I'll tackle this project during the winter. The roof does not leak so I can enjoy 'Streamming the rest of the summer. Now I think I can approach this with confidence, with the great advice you've given me! I'll let you know on how I made out!
Old 06-15-2004, 07:07 PM   #11
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Thanks,

But I am but a grasshopper to campcollector. He is the Master.

I have pulled the center dome on a few trailers/Motorhomes to replace the TV antenna. I don't use the manual anymore to see if I missed a step. Campcollector pulled the ENTIRE interior and replaced ribs. All I have ever replaced were rivets and wires.

We will all pitch in and help from our side of the keyboard, so go to it so you can enjoy the summer!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 10:25 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
NO masters here.

If I had known what I was getting into and didn't have a supportive wife or neighbor I would have thought twice about going through what I did to make the trailer usable again. But now that its over I am glad I did. I got to keep something I truly enjoyed at a fraction of the original cost + about a couple three hundred hours of labor and research.

Ignorance is truly bliss.

Time to sit back and relax. Maybe find another trailer thats been smacked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0273.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	7210  
Old 06-16-2004, 07:23 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
bay city , Michigan
I hope and dream

Campcollector you A/S looks so beautiful. i only hope mine will turn out like that. i have posted my project pictures in my gallery for you guys to take a look at. i have started pulling the interior out. i have the entire street side out which is the bathroom, shower (man that was a chore) and the kitchen cabinets. CC do you have a secret for pulling down the headliner without loosing any of the pink foam some of it is trying to stay on the wall? thanks for the help. i will be getting one of those rivet tools because i will need it.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:28 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
bay city , Michigan
stealing water

CC, are you stealing your neighbors water in that picture?? LOL
Old 06-17-2004, 10:18 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
bay city , Michigan
one rib welded

Campcollector, some where in one of your posts i read that you did not replace one of the ceiling ribs as it was welded can you elaborate on this for me are every so many welded? or is it just one? do you have more pictures of the roof that you could share with me?
Old 06-19-2004, 12:02 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Stealing parking, not water

Well my trailer didn't have the pink foam headliner, it has a polyester fabric liner like most new ones have and it pulled off easily. I thought the foam was in the 2000-2002 or so models. If you cant' save it you could take the trailer to an upholsty guy and put in whaterver you want. They are good at cutting out all the holes for fans and vents etc...

The only roof rib that was heliarc welded to the side ribs was the last one in the roof on the ends of the trailer. Mine was the one over the bed and bath area. Since it was welded I used a slide hammer and a dead blow to pound it back out and a porta power to push it back up. It was not broken just bent and the aluminum was pliable. I will try to post more pics in my photo album.