Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Roof
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-05-2017, 05:49 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMc View Post
Hopefully this link works: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456...ry-116214.html

here's a previous thread where user TinTin compiled everything into one place for sealants. It's a long thread, all worth reading. The final list is at post #91 if you'd like to cut straight to the chase. There's good discussion on cleaning and prepping in the posts that follow that.

Dave

Edited to insert the actual link...
Thanks! I've come across this thread a number of times, but it's incredibly long and protracted, and finding the nuggets is no easy tasks. Which these forums would be updated to allow for the most up to date knowledge base to be stickies.

Reposted here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTin View Post
(added 3M 5200 to roof sealants)

For wheel wells/underbody:

Vulkem 116
Trempro 635 Grey
Sikaflex 221 Black (use Eternabond spray cleaner to prepare surface)
Adseal Premium Quality Sealant Grey

Roof:

Sikaflex 221 White (for roof seams, seals and bonds. Use Eternabond spray cleaner to prepare surface)
Sikaflex 715 (around fans, vents, skylights ... self-levelling)
Adseal Premium Quality Sealant White
Dicor self-levelling sealant
EternaBond® AlumiBond (alum. backed sealing tape, 2", 3", 4", and 6" wide)
Lexel™ Clear
3M 5200 (seals and bonds, comes in quick and slow cure varieties)

Windows/Trim/Rubrail/Exterior Lights:

Sikaflex 221 Grey (seals and bonds. Use Eternabond spray cleaner to prepare surface)
Parbond Grey or Clear (small hand tubes, prep and clean-up use cosmoline remover)
Trempro 635 Grey
Loctite® PL® S40 Polyurethane Window Door and Siding Sealant
Lexel™ Clear

Small seams (between aluminum panels):

Acryl-R (available in cans from Airstream store. Use applicator or disposable syringes to apply)
Aluminum Pigmented Gutterseal

Rivet sealer:

Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:56 PM   #22
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Airstreams are factory sealed with Adseal on the top and seal tape between the panels and around the edges. The techs at factory service will tell you it's
good for outdoor sun (think Texas) for 5 years. The service center also has a cheaper sealant thy will apply that doesn't last as long. I had mine completely stripped and resealed. That took 1 and 1/2 days labor, but it was worth it because I have never had roof leaks. Skylights? Yes. That is why after two sets of OEM skylights I went with Maxim Skylights out of Dallas. Beautiful and they meet the Date County, FL, hurricane code. I would clean the surface well before the Adseal so it will adhere adequately. Then later the Adseal will lift up and be resealed quite easily. Adseal is a UK company that makes every sealant there is a purpose for. Google them.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:15 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Still looking for a recommendation on sealing the awning rail. I'm between sikaflex 221 or acryl-r. Perhaps sikaflex as doesn't have to be a fine line as it's not visible. Thoughts?
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:49 AM   #24
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The only thing I would toss into this debate is that some of this stuff does not have a super long shelf life. That matters on your shelf, it also matters on the dealer's shelf. If you go shopping, getting it from somebody who moves a reasonable amount of product is better than grabbing it off that dusty shelf at the local store.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:09 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnie3 View Post
I was recently in Jackson Center for warranty work. I had them inspect my 2015 roof and nothing was found. They recommended resealing every five years.
Same here, I took ours in for some other work and asked them to reseal the roof. They took a day and removed all the old caulking and replaced with new. I had them do a pressure test and run it through the rain booth also; no leaks.

It wasn't cheap but at my age I didn't want to take a chance of falling off. I don't have any place to work on it anyhow, storage lot doesn't allow any type of repair work.

They told me 5 years also.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:48 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
Still looking for a recommendation on sealing the awning rail. I'm between sikaflex 221 or acryl-r. Perhaps sikaflex as doesn't have to be a fine line as it's not visible. Thoughts?
I used 221. Did the job and was recommended by my dealer.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:49 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
good info.. if you can share the cost would be great. I think if folks have an idea it make it easier to save up or be ready the price tag when it gets done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Same here, I took ours in for some other work and asked them to reseal the roof. They took a day and removed all the old caulking and replaced with new. I had them do a pressure test and run it through the rain booth also; no leaks.

It wasn't cheap but at my age I didn't want to take a chance of falling off. I don't have any place to work on it anyhow, storage lot doesn't allow any type of repair work.

They told me 5 years also.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:22 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
good info.. if you can share the cost would be great. I think if folks have an idea it make it easier to save up or be ready the price tag when it gets done.
It took them 8 hours at $120 an hour, plus caulk. It was about $1,000. We had some other stuff done (soft spot in floor repaired, pressure test, water test, caulking, cleaning off mold from front mouse fur) so our total bill for 2 days was $2,000. Day 2 was stripping old roof caulk and replacing.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote