Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Roof
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2008, 10:47 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Pipe vent covers storing water... should I worry?

While I was working on the roof of the 75 Safari, I notice that there was a bit of rain pooling inside the vent cover, caught above the rubber gasket but below the level of the pipe.

If you look at the pic below, you can the aluminum vent covers don't have a drain hole to let the rain drain that did not hit inside the actual pipe. It caught between the vent cover and rubber gasket but below the top of the actual drain pipe.

Should I worry about the water sitting, since IMHO water always seems to find a way to escape where you don't want to go?

Should I drill a 1/4" hole in the side to keep the level down?
Old 09-29-2008, 11:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronstory View Post
While I was working on the roof of the 75 Safari, I notice that there was a bit of rain pooling inside the vent cover, caught above the rubber gasket but below the level of the pipe.

If you look at the pic below, you can the aluminum vent covers don't have a drain hole to let the rain drain that did not hit inside the actual pipe. It caught between the vent cover and rubber gasket but below the top of the actual drain pipe.

Should I worry about the water sitting, since IMHO water always seems to find a way to escape where you don't want to go?

Should I drill a 1/4" hole in the side to keep the level down?
Please be advised that you have used one of our photo's, without our permission.

Photo's do not always show every single piece of information.

The statement you have made, that those covers do not have drain holes, is "FALSE".

The photo in our web site was taken at a different angle.

Please look at the following attached photo that "clearly" show the two drain holes.

The design of the sewer vent pipe cover dictates that the drain holes will be on the bottom.

In the future, if you wish to publish "any" photo's that we may have on our web site, please at least ask for permission, first.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	83595.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	68506  
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
vent pipe cover

A better view, taken with a flash.

CLICK on the phot for an enlarged view.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	83595a.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	68507  
Old 09-29-2008, 01:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
In other words ronstory, you or the previous owner may have incorrectly installed the vent cover with the drain holes in the wrong direction. Look at your existing covers and see if there are holes as indicated in the above posts and then remount them. If no holes exist then drill new holes. Check to insure that the sealant has not plugged the holes. What an excellent time to check you screens, BTW they are just normal screen material you can buy at the hardware store, and gaskets, BTW it's just normal rubber gasket material you can buy at the hardware store and cut yourself. YOU CAN buy some of these items from a commercial vendor here but I would look at Vintage Trailer Supply as an option FIRST.

Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies!

Mike
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Airstream parts.

A company must be an Airstream dealer or a Service Center, in order to purchase any and all materials, from the factory.

Those that are not associated with Airstream, can buy parts from a dealer, and in turn, sell them to the public, or pay retail if they are at Jackson Center.

This usually results in higher prices, and no backed up factory warranty since the end purchaser is second in line.

A good Airstream parts dealer, will have hundreds, if not thousands such as we do, of Airstream parts in stock, and not just a handful.

Andy
Old 09-29-2008, 02:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
UUMM, plus Vintage trail doesn't sell those type of vents covers,,, Just plastic painted ones... I looked at them and opted to get a polished aluminum one from Andy....

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
My '77 had the same issue, no drain holes. I used a grinder to make a small slot at the bottom so they won't hold water
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:03 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Andy--

Apologies...
Old 09-30-2008, 10:15 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronstory View Post
Andy--

Apologies...
Accepted.

Andy
Old 09-30-2008, 10:20 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Sorry... premature return.

Andy--

Apologies... I got the pic from a previous thread http://www.airforums.com/forums/f478...ers-45210.html and did not realize that it was from your site. You may want consider watermarking the photos to help avoid a misunderstanding in the future. Next time I'll just take my own... but mislayed my camera cable.

Mike--

My vents are little bit different than the photo posted by Andy. The mounting holes are recessed into the wall with an end mill and then drilled. After digging into the sealant in the recessed wall, there is a drain hole in it. One of earlier POs went nuts with Dicor and then later one hit it will Silicone as well.

I'll know pull the vents off and get new rubber gaskets and screen (mine have no screen now). The question is what sealant should I use with the rubber gasket? Vulkem? Just a touch on mating surfaces or cover the rubber gasket like the previous owner, but leave the drain holes clear?
Old 09-30-2008, 12:14 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Ron.

Clean the surface and use Vulkem.

Put the screening on first.

Next slide the gasket over the screen and pipe.

Apply Vulkem starting at the center hole in the gasket, forcing it through the screening, and onto the black pipe.

That will give you an absolute positive seal.

After reinstalling the cover, add a bead of Vulkem to the top and both sides of the cover.

Do not use any Vulkem on the bottom side of the cover.

Make sure whatever cover you use, that it has the drain holes at the bottom side, the side closest to the ground.

Andy
Old 10-01-2008, 01:35 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Andy--

Thanks
Old 10-01-2008, 01:38 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Andy--

Ok... that's the 2nd time today I got a premature <RETURN>.

Thank-you for the detailed instructions and I'll be calling this week to buy the package. I realize I could make it up from a big box store... but I need gaskets for all the windows in the RV anyways.

Tags
cover, raid, vent