Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Roof
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2021, 03:23 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
More information for people who find this thread and are struggling with the same decision: Tropicool vs. Enviro White...

I am currently leaning toward enviro white. It seems to be less "sticky" when cured (they actually call it dirt/dust repellent), and from the manufacturer's literature, after three years, it has the highest reflectiveness of all their products. It's only a difference of 80% vs. 73% light reflection, but hey...

Here in Denver, the Tropicool is available at Home Depot (but not Lowes) for $80/gallon. The Enviro White is available at Lowes (but not Home Depot) for $40/gallon. So the Enviro White is half the price; I assume because tropicool is silicone. FWIW, these cans are also .9 gallons, not a full gallon.

Both products seem to require the same prep work, but have wildly different curing rates/requirements. Both products just need a tsp (non-filming) cleaned surface. The Enviro White makes mention of a proprietary primer/sealer, but also says it's not required.

The Tropicool says it's "rain ready" in 15 minutes (that seems crazy!), and also says it's a one-coat application, though every review I've read mention multiple coats. Tropicool can also be applied from 35-120 degrees F, which is a huge temperature window.

The Enviro White is meant to applied in direct sun, with at least two hours of light before sunset. However, it should not be applied if the roof surface temp is over 140 degrees F. So in the Mile High sun, that's a pretty tricky window.

For anecdotal purposes... my Argosy roof currently reads anywhere from 120-130 degrees F. It was painted white years ago, so now is dirty white with lots of places where the paint is pocked. The silver (paint) end caps read about the same temperature at the roof apex, but even two feet from the high point read at 110 degrees. The vent covers read at 110 degrees, I assume because they are thinner aluminum and have cabin air on the other side (not trapped heat in the wall... it's 102 F in the cabin, by the way). The two stainless steel items on the roof register anywhere from 60-70 degrees... I assume the infrared thermometer can't get a reading on the reflective surface, because I can't put my hand on them without getting burnt. My Airstream (bare aluminum) won't register higher than 60-70 with the infrared gun either (though the exterior surface burns my hand), but the matte finish plumbing vent cover reads at about 125. The dark colored plastic Fantastic Fan vent cover reads 145. It's only 80 inside my Airstream, because that puppy is insulated like a mofo.

So...the Enviro White also wants at least two coats of alternating directions (n-s then e-w) with drying time in between the coats, but deally within a two hour period. You can let the coats dry over longer periods of time, but they say it's preferred to apply the second coat within two hours. However, that time is obviously relative... in the Midwest paint can take days to dry, and in the Colorado desert it usually takes around 10 seconds.

Tropicool makes a lot of mention of being good for high moisture areas. It can tolerate pooling up to 50 hours, but should not be used in areas where standing water will exist for long periods of time. Enviro White also says it can tolerate pooling for 48 hours, but it seems like the product is less resistant to moisture. The literature actually makes specific mention of Florida, the Bahamas, and hurricanes for Tropicool (thus the name, I guess).

When Sarge contacted Henry's, they said you should use Tropicool for RV's, but I think that's because they think all RV's are fiberglass boxes (flat roofs). From what I could tell by scouring the boards, I think more Airstream owners have used the Enviro White.

Magnet18 let me know that he used Enviro White, but applied it indoors and after six months it still hadn't fully cured. However, once it was in direct sunlight for a couple days it became hard like it should be.

So... it still seems like kind of crap shoot. I guess I should take comfort in the fact that both products have only satisfied customers (I also surveyed bus and RV forums and all had similar findings).

Without any evidence other than previous experience with silicone and acrylic in general, it also seems like Enviro White (elastomeric acrylic) will be easier to deal with in the future (as it degrades). I did come across a person on a bus forum complaining that the only thing that will re-cover Tropicool (silicone) is more tropicool, and even using the same product is sometimes tricky for touch ups (because nothing sticks to silicone).

Enviro White is half the price and seems to stay more reflective longer, with a slightly harder "hide," so even though the application is a little bit more critical (though not difficult), I think I will be going with Enviro White.
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 07:37 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
St. Augustine , Florida
The somewhat, but not fully, cured material was pulled out of my small pail. It felt like a latex mask. I just walked out and checked my roof. It feels stiff, but still rubbery. Has some give but not too much. Doesn't fell like it would be easily damaged and I have walked around up there barefoot. I could not have done that before as it would have been way too hot up there. I don't expect it to get chalky. Water pooling should not be an issue with our campers. I know this IS a difficult decision. Silicone, once applied, is not easily removed. It was easier for me because I had already sealed the rivets with silver colored silicone caulk, and silicone sticks like crazy to other silicone products. It will not stick well (or at all) to acrylic sealants. White paint will also cool your roof, but adds no sealing properties. For my particular application this was a no brainer, as I can always give it subsequent coats, if need be, and it will adhere well.
sarge12212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 08:29 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
St. Augustine , Florida
Another reason I did not go with an acrylic sealant was the lifespan. 7 to 10 years for acrylics, depending on the brand. Lifetime warranty for silicone. About double the price, but worth it for me. You get what you pay for.
I have not yet seen Tropicool showing any propensity to attract dirt or dust. Ever morning my AS is covered in dew and there is plenty of dust being blown around. I live about 2 miles from the Atlantic shoreline and there is most always an ocean breeze. It is still clean and brite.
Old 06-08-2021, 08:40 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
St. Augustine , Florida
Either one, silicone or acrylic can be easily recoated. And they both seal the roof from leaks. I'm not sure how you could go wrong either way. You just have to know what type of caulk (silicone or acrylic) you used in the past to seal the rivets and use that same base product, because they don't play well together. Neither product will look good with just one coat. I used 3 going E/W, N/S then E/W again.
Old 06-08-2021, 11:09 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Thanks for the additional info, sarge. I think if there were an easy answer to this "which one?" question, it might boil down to this: if you live in the desert, use the Enviro White; if you live near the ocean or a tropical rain forest, use the Tropicool. This mainly applies for the application process, not so much for what happens after it's cured.
Old 06-09-2021, 04:55 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
St. Augustine , Florida
I may also have a bias towards the silicone products. Whenever I buy sealants, I almost always buy the silicone over the acrylics. They last longer and seam more robust, but they are usually more expensive and cleanup is a bit harder. In the end, this is a personal choice on what you want to put on your camper. Please let me know how it works out and how it holds up over time.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:59 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
I got three coats of Enviro White on yesterday afternoon/evening and I am positively giddy about how much cooler it is inside the rig today. I will never do another Airstream without a white roof. This is truly amazing.
Old 06-12-2021, 06:23 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
St. Augustine , Florida
It's a game changer, for sure. I saw a well polished '60s unit yesterday. My first thought (after I stopped geeking and gauking) was "That old girl needs a white hat", lol. Pleace, Brother ��✌
Old 08-16-2022, 07:11 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Painted Mine with Tropi-Cool RV

You two really built a well research thread on heat reflective white paints for Airstream trailers. Thank you.

Well I cleaned and painted my roof today with the Henry Tropi-cool. It is one of those projects where "rework" would be nearly impossible. The stuff would be difficult to remove. I did this project because of the Colorado sun being so intense that camping without shade is really uncomfortable in the trailer. I'm hoping for similar interior heat reduction that you folks reported.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2208 Roof Painted-800x600.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	421111  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 03:46 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
I'm hoping for similar interior heat reduction that you folks reported.
Let us know what you experience! For me it was night and day, and I've been LOVING the cooler interior this summer.
Old 08-20-2022, 05:37 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I'll report my observations and temp readings during our mid September in southern Colorado. I'm hoping I can reject some of that sun's intense heat. A nuclear powered heat lamp it is.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote