Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Roof
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2021, 04:31 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1954 22' Safari
Bellefonte , Pennsylvania
Original roof vent for PanelRay heater???

My 1954 Safari has two roof vents for the Norcold refrigerator.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4833.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	297.6 KB
ID:	407451

There was another vent for a PanelRay heater which was removed and sealed at some point. I am replacing the Panel Ray in my Safari and would like to have an original style roof vent for the heater.

Does anyone have a photo of an original vent used on the Safari for the Panel Ray heater?

Were all the roof vent stacks and caps the same as in the photo above?

Where can I get an original style vent stack with cap and flashing?

Alternatively I will install an American Metal products (Ameri-vent) type B vent stack and cap but it will not look original.
fiftysafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 04:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiftysafari View Post
My 1954 Safari has two roof vents for the Norcold refrigerator.

Attachment 407451

There was another vent for a PanelRay heater which was removed and sealed at some point. I am replacing the Panel Ray in my Safari and would like to have an original style roof vent for the heater.

Does anyone have a photo of an original vent used on the Safari for the Panel Ray heater?

Were all the roof vent stacks and caps the same as in the photo above?

Where can I get an original style vent stack with cap and flashing?

Alternatively I will install an American Metal products (Ameri-vent) type B vent stack and cap but it will not look original.
Looking at the Vintage Airstream Photos for the 54 Safari, the stack you have matches the one above your PanelRay. There is only one photo that shows a different style. But it looks pretty crappy. I like the one you have. I asked Pippin at Vintage Campers.com. to look in his stockpile for the one I have on our 55. You may consider asking him. But like I said, I like the one you have. If it’s not period correct, it sure looks it. I don’t know how they vented the fridge unless it went through the same chase. Good luck
Bubba L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 05:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Your 1954 Safari did not come from the factory with those vents for the Dometic fridge. The original fridge would have been 120V only and located under the kitchen counter under the small kitchen window that can collide with the entry door if the window is open (i.e. no fridge roof vents). Propane fridges became an option on the 1956 Safari and often have the window deleted when a propane fridge was optioned. Before that, the Safari was a low cost, no options model. Your Dometic fridge must have been added later by a previous owner.

But to answer your other question. The roof vents currently installed for the Dometic fridge are the correct style for Panel Ray heater. I too am looking for one of that style for my 1958 Caravaner in case anyone has a spare they are willing to part with.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 05:35 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1954 22' Safari
Bellefonte , Pennsylvania
Yes the layout of my Safari was significantly modified.
It originally had a small 120V refrigerator under the kitchen counter but the front kitchen and bath was entirely ripped out at some point.
I am in the process of restoring the original layout except for the refrigerator. I am keeping the 120V propane Norcold with the two roof vent stacks. The refrigerator is in the place where a closet was originally.
fiftysafari is offline   Reply With Quote