Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2019, 07:51 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Afton , NY
Dish

I am about to install a backup camera and a DISH satellite antenna. My concern is roof penetration ie. location on the roof, what type fastener. I was going to use stainless steel screws and silicone adhesive/caulk. What length screws do I use , if at all ? The camera will be mounted towards the rear. My intention was to draw power from one of the lights on the roof. How do I go about doing this ?
The Dish Satellite antenna requires no power , but a coaxial cable needs to be hooked into the cable outlet on the side of my trailer. How do I fasten it to the trailer so it doesn't flap around as I drive ?
I have a 2016 Sport Bambi 16RB . Thanks.
farrider387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
We carry a dish satellite antenna and I would not recommend mounting it on the roof. You need about 50' of coax (for satellite) and then just set it on level ground. You will find that where you park or camp will almost always have trees that will block the signal. You need to move it around to get clear skies to the south.

I would buy the carry case that they have and not mount it on the roof. You will always need to move it.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:30 AM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I completely agree about the Dish antenna. There are relatively few sites I've seen where having it on the roof will work well. (Yes, I'm in one right now where it *would* work .... the other 20 we've been in this year, not so much).

The backup camera should mount fine with VHB tape. They are lightweight. Any "outside" mounting will be a bit interesting in terms of wires. An alternative is to mount it inside the rear window. We have a camera, but it never gets used ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:31 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Bullhead City , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
We carry a dish satellite antenna and I would not recommend mounting it on the roof. You need about 50' of coax (for satellite) and then just set it on level ground. You will find that where you park or camp will almost always have trees that will block the signal. You need to move it around to get clear skies to the south.

I would buy the carry case that they have and not mount it on the roof. You will always need to move it.
I agree 100% with Turk123. Receiving the digital signal is critical to having an unobstucted view to the South. (SSW actually). By having a 50' cable you can move the dish to a location that insures the best reception. Using the tripod makes for a secure mount but many times a picnic table works just as well. The King carry bag is perfect for storage. I bypassed the Airstream coax connections and installed my own outdoor connector inside a storage locker which then leads directly to the Wally receiver. Airstream has too many connectors, splitters and the antenna booster inline that robs you of signal strength. Check out my Dish review on Amazon by RenoGMC, I went through quite a learning curve but Dish has it dialed in pretty well now.
Reno Classic is offline   Reply With Quote