Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Roof
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2014, 12:09 PM   #1

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Santa Ynez , California
Clear coat pealing

My wife and I purchased a 1997, 27' Safari from the original owner about 2 years ago. It was in very good shape and we have had some minor work / maintenance done to it. However, we do not have a covered space, or garage to store it in. The clear coat was pealing when we purchased it and I want to protect it until we can have it redone.

Can anyone suggest a sturdy car cover, like the ones you see in people's driveways, or some way to cover the Airstream until we can have the clear coat removed and replaced?

Thank you,

Brian
Attached Files
Brian Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
When you say car cover are you referring to the fitted covers that wrap and sit directly on the vehicle? If you search on the forums you will find covers are not recommended for Airstreams and can do more harm than good to your clear coat.
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bailey View Post
My wife and I purchased a 1997, 27' Safari from the original owner about 2 years ago. It was in very good shape and we have had some minor work / maintenance done to it. However, we do not have a covered space, or garage to store it in. The clear coat was pealing when we purchased it and I want to protect it until we can have it redone.

Can anyone suggest a sturdy car cover, like the ones you see in people's driveways, or some way to cover the Airstream until we can have the clear coat removed and replaced?

Thank you,

Brian
NO COVERS, EVER

If your planning on having the trailer refinished, then in the meantime apply some clearcoat that is available from Airstream dealers in spray cans.

It won't look too bad, but it certainly will protect the metal.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:46 PM   #4

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Santa Ynez , California
Car canopy, not cover

I meant a canopy large enough to park the Airstream under it. Any recommendations?

Can you apply the spray clear coat over the old clear coat as a temporary protectant?
Brian Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Can you apply the spray clear coat over the old clear coat as a temporary protectant?
Yes
Old 05-13-2014, 07:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
OP, I have portable garage I bought thru Amazon. Heads up, the covers only last about a year and then you have to buy and install another.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:

Absolutely yes.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote