Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Roof
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2013, 12:54 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
Burnaby , British Columbia
Smile Cleaning and Sealing! Any Tips?

Hi All! I recently purchased a beautiful 66 Tradewinds that I am digging into! One of my first projects is to get this old girl sealed up before our Pacific Northwest Monsoons strike!

Right now the trailer is fairly leak free, and I'm hoping to keep it that way. The trailer came from a warmer and drier climate so she needs some protection quickly. I also plan on installing a Fantastic Fan while I'm up top.

After exploring the various solutions for roof work, I decided to go with some scaffolding, as I figure I'm going to be working on this for at least a week to get it all done, and frankly, I'm kind of a klutz. I have never caulked anything in my life, but a kind fellow in the paint dept of HD gave me my first lesson in how to use a caulking gun!

The first pic is of my giant scaffolding erection! The neighbors are scratching their heads as they walk by, wondering what the heck I'm up to!

I started work today and have a couple questions for the experts out there.

First, I read here on various threads that Methyl Hydrade (basically pure alcohol) is good for removing excess caulk. It is working VERY well, but I did notice a bit running down the side of the trailer and want to make sure that it won't damage the aluminum?

I started near the front (just behind the endcap) and started with cleaning and removing old sealant from the seams. I used Auto Degreaser and a plastic scraper and it worked fantastically.

I used the grey Trempro , ordered from VTC and it was great. At first I attempted to do a 1/4 " narrow bead along the seam but I definitely over applied and ended up with a 1 inch strip after it was all said and done. I wasn't too worried about it looking beautiful, as no one will ever see the roof and I figure with the epic amount of rain we get here, and the fact that I don't think this trailer has been resealed in 46 years - more IS better on the roof.

I also resealed a cheap plastic vent at the front that I plan on replacing next year. There were a couple different applications of mystery sealants that were quite aged, so after cleaning, I decided it might be a good idea to seal it up to make sure it stays leak free til I replace it.

The in a moment of insanity or brilliance ( I leave that for you to decide!) I decided to seal the rivets on the roof. They all looked as though they are holding but I thought... might be a good idea? Can't hurt? I am now questioning this choice... Has anyone else here sealed roof rivets?

The second picture is of the finished section.

In retrospect I wish I had used some painters tape to get a clean line and plan to do that with the rest of the roof. I also wished I had cut the hole on the tube MUCH smaller AND at an angle!

What is a good way to store an open tube of Trempro?

I was wondering if any one has tips for getting a REALLY THIN caulk line? Once I get to the sides and visible areas of the roof, I really want it to look good!

Going to soak my sore muscles now! I have to say Im so glad I decided to go with scaffolding for this project. I scored a couple foam mats from HD for the platform that made my work area fairly comfortable, but I still did some pretty wild contortions today!

The third picture is my dog Max - he wants me to get down and come throw the ball for him!

Thanks for your advice and critiques of my first day of caulking! It can only get better!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scaffold.JPG
Views:	349
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	195901   Click image for larger version

Name:	day1.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	338.9 KB
ID:	195902  

Click image for larger version

Name:	max waiting.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	465.1 KB
ID:	195903  
maggieevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
The best way to get a thin line of Tempro is to use painter's tape on both sides of the seam. Smear the caulk with your finger so it gets into the voids. Pull the tape as soon as you're finished with the seam you've done. Keep a garbage can right there & just pull it & throw it right into the can. Yes, I've sealed rivets. I've done them with Parbond. Smear the parbond around the rivet & wipe the excess off with a paper towel dampened with mineral spirits. I'm using some stuff this time called Captain Trolley's crack sealer (VTS has it) on my rivets. It's a lot easier than parbond & doesn't make a big mess! Hopefully it will work as well. Have fun!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:53 AM   #3
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
In addition to Becky's tips I use the West Marine Syringes like these and cut the tip to get the right amount of flow, fill them and store in the freezer. Just pop one out to defrost for a bit when you need it. Store unused tempro in the freezer, but try to use the whole tube if you can. West marine has the captain tolleys too, which I do like and dispense in the same syringe without cutting the tip.

I've yet to do my endcaps as I'm looking for something that will wick in and not be as visible. I'm thinking acryl r from the Airstream store.

Can't comment on the solvents but one thing I have noticed is that thick sealant if far better than thin applications. Thin tends to crack and weather. You will be better off with a thick narrow bead than a wide thin inch.

Good luck! I'm totally jealous of your scaffolding set up!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
You can clean excess fresh Trempro off the aluminum skin with carb cleaner also. You can buy little covers for the Trempro tubes: look like little condoms at hardware stores. After you put it over the end of the tube, hold onto the condom and squeeze a little Trempro into it to make a small bubble.
Scaffolding is good!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Another tip for keeping tempro is to put a glob of hot glue on the end between use. Works fine!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Dang forgot the link!

WEST SYSTEM Syringe at West Marine
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #7

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
I typically store opened tubes in the refrigerator.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:58 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
Burnaby , British Columbia
Hey Everyone -

Thanks for all your tips! Great stuff! The work is coming along and Im getting better with my technique! The syringe and tape help ALOT!

Now if you could just come over and massage my aching shoulders???
maggieevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:53 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Mooresville , Indiana
We are at the same stage. Just started removing all the old and sealing ours up. I keep asking myself why I begged for the 34' one instead of the Bambi every time we start working on it LOL! Ours is a 1991 and I don't think either owner ever re-sealed it and I laugh to myself when the previous owner told us he wouldn't be afraid to take it from the Midwest to California right now...not sure what state he would have realized it was a bad idea LOL. Hoping to be done with her in the spring but she's getting gutted because we suffer from booty sag and floor rot.

We are using the same materials and the painters tape is a huge help. We learned to do our trim in little short sections and I just follow along the hubby with a finger in a paper towel soaked in mineral spirits to get the bumps out and then we peel immediately. We had rain the following day and got to admire our work as it beaded and shed the water!!!!!
Karry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:38 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
did you guys take any pics while doing this?
2 chronicles 7:14
VeggieBullet is offline   Reply With Quote