Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2018, 07:54 PM   #1
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Avion roof: reRubber Rubberized Primer and Cool Top Coat

I took the plunge! Became aware of products by reRubber, a California "green" company that intercepts tires from ending up in land fills, recovers the rubber, metal, and fiber, and makes some awesome products out of the rubber. In this case, I used their Rubberized Primer and Cool Top Coat to cover the roof from drip rail to drip rail, and to a nice taped-off border at each end.

The products are an acrylic latex base with the rubber mixed in, resulting in a flexible coating the withstands the elements very well. The Cool Top Coat is white and contains microscopic glass spheres that help reflect the sunlight and heat, lowering the roof temperature by at least 20 degrees. There is a noticeable difference in the conducted heat that makes it's way to the interior of the trailer.

The products can easily cover 100 square feet of aluminum roof per gallon. I ordered 2 gallons of each for our 34' Avion, had about a 1/2 gallon of each left. $54/gallon for the Rubberized Primer, $56/gallon for the Cool Top Coat, plus shipping.

It is a common realization that Avions have excellent insulation between the inner and outer skins due to their use of spray-on foam insulation. As good as it is, it is easy to notice the difference in the summer heat. I can only imagine how it would help an Airstream, but I know it would.

They also make an Automotive Coating that is good for bed liners and undercoating (You could even spray an entire vehicle with it!). I used it on the exposed metal frame pieces and wheel wells of our Avion, as well as on our 1981 Ford Bronco. The Rubberized Primer can be used to coat metal, concrete, wood..... anything you want to coat and preserve, and for walkways, it is ADA compliant for traction. If you want even more traction, you can simply add sand to the mix (or more crumb rubber, if you's like to get it from them). I am going to try some, as is, to coat the entry steps on our trailer. If I think it needs more traction, I will add some sand to it.

Unfortunately I am out of space for pictures, but if anyone would like some pictures, PM me with your email address and I would be glad to send several.

Also, if anyone is interested in the reRubber products, PM me and I can tell you how to order it.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:49 PM   #2
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
I meant to mention that this stuff is safe for you AND the environment. Clean up with soap and water.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:37 AM   #3
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Figured out a way to put some pics here:

Old 07-06-2018, 10:24 PM   #4
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Coated the steps today using the Rubberized Primer. The traction is very good with the product as-is. Very pleased. Will post a picture soon.
Old 07-07-2018, 02:12 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Morganton , Georgia
Very interesting. I would like an update on performance as the product ages. Thanks for posting this.
Lynntalsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:09 PM   #6
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynntalsma View Post
Very interesting. I would like an update on performance as the product ages. Thanks for posting this.
Will do.

Like so many other products that need to make a good bond to the surface they are applied to, preparation is the key. With a good clean surface, this stuff appears to really bond.

Today I have spent some time with the Rubberized Primer and the Avion. With the large awning extended to provide a shaded work area, I opened all of the lower compartments along the curb side, emptied the contents, cleaned, then coated the inside of each compartment. At the top was the exposed bottom side of the plywood flooring. The back side was the box channel frame members. Left and right sides were the cross members of the frame. The end result is a nicely-coated compartment!

Also, one pesky common place for a leak on these Avions is where the front awning/rock guard hinge attaches to the body of the trailer. This has been a really annoying one to get fixed. I took some painter’s tape and masked off a line on the top side of this hinge bracket, then brushed some of this Rubberized Primer along that seam, unnoticeable behind the top edge of the front awning/rock guard.
Now, I will pray for rain so I can see if that last, pesky drip has been eliminated.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:30 PM   #7
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
A couple of pictures of the lower compartments:

Old 07-08-2018, 04:17 PM   #8
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
What happens If you have to do sheet metal replacement or repair. Looks like a lot of work to get to the original surfaces again. Sikaflex 225 and Capt. Tilley's "Creeping Crack Cure" would be a lot easier. One of the problems with spray foam insulation is you can't get behind it to find small seam/rivet leaks. I think resealing the top, window, and door cutouts every five years here in Texas is easier.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:01 PM   #9
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
I did weigh that possibility before committing to coating the roof. I came to the conclusion that the benefit we get from the heat reduction far outweighs any potential of the need for sheet metal repair.

All in all, even that can be managed if needed.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:19 AM   #10
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
At Lake Eufaula through the weekend. Today was close to 100 degrees. The coated roof definitely made a huge difference in the ability of the single air conditioner to keep the trailer frigid inside. Tomorrow, the forecast high is 106. I expect the Avion will stay cool. At that temp. if I don't have to keep the A/C on high, I'll be surprised. Will report back.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:20 PM   #11
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Well, it was definitely HOT today! The official temp was 110 degrees, with a “feels like” of 117. That’s hot by any measure.
The site we are in faces east-west with trees on both sides of the pad, so the cut for the pad allows the sun to track nicely all day over the top of the Avion. So, I think today was a pretty extreme test.
The trailer stayed nice and cool, but you could definitely tell that it was hotter than Hades outside. During the most extreme part of the day, we had the A/C on high, as cool as it would go, and it kept the interior nice and cool. And this is with ONE. 13.5K BTU air conditioner.

I am VERY pleased with the roof coating.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:30 PM   #12
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
With the recent discussions about roof coatings, I would like to mention this thread again. I have been very impressed with the reRubber Rubberized Sealant and the Cool White Top Coat. I love the fact that it is environmentally friendly, and it make a huge difference inside the trailer on a hot, sunny day.

(I am not real comfortable promoting this here because I have since become able to sell the reRubber products. I CAN provide a decent discount, but if you'd like, you can order directly from reRubber. If you go that route, I can provide a name and number of the VP I have been working with. He is very interested in the RV roof application.... especially with our aluminum trailers.)
Old 10-31-2019, 09:55 PM   #13
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Just finished the hot part of another season with the Avion. Very noticeable difference with the coated roof.

Also coated a local BBQ trailer to cool them off. More to come.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:50 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Clarkton , North Carolina
Still love it?

Still loving your roof coating?

We just removed all the roof parts (old AC, old vents, antenna, etc.) from our 72 Safari and there are a lot of unnecessary holds (i.e. we don't need an antenna!). We'll repair the holes and all the bad rivets first, but we'd like to add a coating up top to help seal it and reflect sunlight. Your idea appeals to us because my husband is using a similar "bedliner" material on his F350 right now (front grill done, planning to paint the body too).

Wanted to check in and see if you still love your coating.
Wildwoman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:21 PM   #15
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildwoman69 View Post
Still loving your roof coating?

We just removed all the roof parts (old AC, old vents, antenna, etc.) from our 72 Safari and there are a lot of unnecessary holds (i.e. we don't need an antenna!). We'll repair the holes and all the bad rivets first, but we'd like to add a coating up top to help seal it and reflect sunlight. Your idea appeals to us because my husband is using a similar "bedliner" material on his F350 right now (front grill done, planning to paint the body too).

Wanted to check in and see if you still love your coating.

In a word...... YES!!!!

Due to the COVID nonsense, we have only been out once this season. It was plenty hot, but the interior of our trailer was nice and chilly.

(Sorry for the delayed response...)
Old 08-10-2020, 12:48 PM   #16

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Roswell , Georgia
Hello we are currently restoring an avion and would like to use this paint on the roof, could you send me the details and discount code you mentioned in a previous post please
Sarah7480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 03:03 AM   #17
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah7480 View Post
Hello we are currently restoring an avion and would like to use this paint on the roof, could you send me the details and discount code you mentioned in a previous post please

PM sent.....
Old 09-14-2020, 03:21 AM   #18
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
We have had 2 trips to Baton Rouge this summer..... once in July, once in August (just dodged a hurricane on that trip!!!). Spent 12 days there each time.

Typical Baton Rouge weather: occasional rain, but really hot, and really humid. The spot we were parked in was partially shaded in the morning and evening, but open to the sun during the day. We were able to run the AC on low or medium all day, and kept the inside of the Avion really cold. There were lots of times that I would turn the AC OFF for my wife's comfort. We would not keep it off for a long time, but that gives you an idea of the inside temps.

Still very impressed with the roof coatings! Earlier this Spring, I got on the roof to inspect and clean. Although the roof was grimy from being parked outside, the coating was intact. I used my pressure washer with the delicate tip to clean the roof. Even with the tip right against the roof, the coating did not budge. I was able to get the roof bright-white again. This stuff amazes me, and makes me even MORE sure that I can recommend it as an option for cooling the roof of these trailers.
Old 10-07-2020, 10:08 PM   #19
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Got another call from a local food trailer owner wanting me to coat their roof. A bakery(sweets) on wheels..... their butter cream icing is getting too soft on hot days!!!
Old 04-23-2022, 11:14 PM   #20
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Another trip to Baton Rouge.... and another set for July. This roof coating is doing very well.

Tags
heat reduction, roof coating, roof leak, roof sealant