Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Roof
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2018, 02:54 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2007 19' Bambi
Midland , Texas
Cool Antenna support !?!

So I was on top of our Bambi to size up what I needed to replace a cracked vent cover. In the process, I discovered the antenna support, or rest, dislodged and, well, mangled.

Apparently AS used double-sided tape and some kind of adhesive, both deteriorated with age, to "seat" the support on the roof of a vehicle capable of pretty decent speeds while moving. No rivets. No solid attachment. Just double-sided tape.

I feel incredibly lucky that this aluminum construct did not fly off in transit and hit someone. When I found it, I gently lifted the antenna and it slid right into my hand. Now that's some spectacular engineering.

Has anyone else experienced this type of manufacturing excellence on their AS? Have you even looked at this part?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7929.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	302987   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7930.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	302988  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7931.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	302989  
racoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Antenna support improper install

I've heard of this happening a few times.

I noticed the antenna support on my Safari was loose too. Luckily I found it before it blew away.

I removed the plastic protective sheet that someone had obviously forgot to remove when the support was original installed, then re-set it in a bed of sealant.

My Excella's was missing prior to me owning it. I suppose the same thing happened.

Another QC issue that gets out the door occasionally.

another discussion here:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...nit-88297.html
Old 01-25-2018, 05:27 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2007 19' Bambi
Midland , Texas
Yes, the protective plastic is still on bottom of my piece too. I’m trying to locate a replacement in case bending this one back into shape breaks it. Regardless, I will reinstall with caulk and rivets. There is no way I want it flying off and have it be a problem for someone behind me.

I find it hard to believe this is the solution AS thinks lives as long as their trailers. Thanks for the link to the other discussion.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
BTW, Mine is stuck on with screws, no big plate--just the bracket.

I love the wonderful high adhesion polymer tapes that 3M and others have come up with for putting things together. I use them to align things on my roof in just the right places, get stuff stuck in place quite strongly, etc.

Then I drill a bloody hole (or six or eight), and put a sturdy metal rivet in it, followed by appropriate sealant to protect everything.

No sense getting out of the 'overkill' habit when I absolutely, positively want something to stay put.

Apologies to Lewster for the heretical attitude...never did like random things falling off my vehicles, trailers, or airplanes I happen to be riding in...makes me a bit nervous!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:40 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2007 19' Bambi
Midland , Texas
Thank you! I could not figure out why the bracket was riveted to the base plate then the assembly taped on. I plan on just getting back to the bracket riveted on.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:16 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Additional roof penetrations = future leak possibilities
Old 01-26-2018, 11:27 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
Additional roof penetrations = future leak possibilities
Very true, plus it adds to the things you need to inspect during preventative maintenance. I agree that under ordinary circumstances, proper use of 3M VHB tape and sealant is going to be enough.

However, and this is a BIG however, when you have Ham Radio equipment in the AS, and several HF/VHF/UHF antennas on the roof, managing appropriate ground connections up there gets very critical.

To assure that ALL the metal objects on my roof are 'grounded and bonded' for prevention of RF and Electrostatic Discharge (ESD)** issues, I have to make a solid metal-to-metal contact with the roof and the assorted antenna mounts, solar panel frames, and the like. I also have ground straps from the body to the frame that are good for proper RF grounding as well.

Nothing quite so much fun than to try to talk on a radio and get an RF jolt from the microphone due to a sneak path for RF or ESD that was not properly grounded. That will 'light up your life', and yes it is a whole lot of stinging! Don't ask how I know this!

**Not just static electricity, but high fields generated by thunderstorms and lightning in the area. Have been bitten by that before, in absolutely clear weather..charge built up on an antenna, energized my portable radio, and it bit the heck out of me inside the car when I reached for it...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:33 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Airstream uses VHB tape from the airline industry.
"Very High Bond". They also attach the skylights with it.
I like the idea that there's no screw holes, but maybe they left off the tape to cover the plate in their never ending quest to keep the assembly line moving. "Go, go, go, the dealer can fix it."
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:53 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Montgomery , Alabama
I was washing the roof with a long handled brush with the Antenna up. Count me as another who found the antenna cradle loose and the plastic wrap never removed. Held in place by some edge caulk and the fact that the antenna held it down in transit. This was a 1997. Might be worth checking come Spring .

Montgomery, Alabama

follow the Two Bikes and an Airstream blog at https://airgo.blogspot.com
twobikes is offline   Reply With Quote