Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Roof
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2010, 07:56 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tyler , Texas
Antenna replacement vs. permanent patch

Well after the sun went behind the trees the other day, I went up on top of our Sovereign and pulled off the leaking TV antenna mount... what was left of it. It came off fairly easily once I cleaned off the quarter inch thick layer of at least three different caulks. Of course, the top layer was silicone.

Since we are living in her at the moment, I went ahead and place a quasi-temporary patch over the hole. I used a piece of aluminum sheet and some 721-UV. Notice the old rivet holes. None of the rivets were intact. I'm not sure how it happened but nothing but goop securing the plate to the roof.

Anyone have ideas on whether the old antenna mount is worth rebuilding and using? Much is missing, here's what is left:

I also have multiple other leak problems, the worst is aft curbside where water drains off of the awning. The PO also gave this entire area a nice, thick coating of silicone. I will be spending some quality time with a scraper

The front end is as bad looking as the back. He also hit pretty much every window with the stuff. I've started cleaning them up and re-doing with some Parbond. Using that stuff has a learning curve I haven't quite climbed yet.

Stephen
Old 08-07-2010, 04:23 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
raleigh , North Carolina
Wow, that's going to be my project du jour too. I suspect the antenna is a leak point from the gobs of caulk around it. I'm debating just removing the antenna altogether. Will we ever really use it? Kids have dvds anyway. I've just had the AS a few months and never camped with a tv so I wont miss it.
My vista views look like that too. How have you been removing silicone? I'm going to try the liquid silicone remover and scraping. I've got to remove the glass and reset too.
RaleighAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Here's a diagram of the antenna - I don't believe you have enough of the parts to even start with - most of the items can no longer be found....

http://www.hhbraund.com/skyliner%20ant.pdf
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:58 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tyler , Texas
Re-setting the windows will have to be a future project for me, unless I'm absolutely forced to.

I have been scraping, scraping, scraping. Under the silicone are layers of other substances. Some may be the original stuff from 1974. Scraping alternated with some stainless steel wire brushing. The wire brush removes clear coat, so you have to be very cautious. The aluminum on the roof around the antenna mount seemed to be much softer than that around the windows that I have been re-caulking. I wonder if it is because the clear coat is almost completely gone on the roof and some remains on the sides? I may eventually polish or re-coat my Sovereign, but I don't want it looking too tacky before then.

I also tried some carburetor cleaner, Wally world brand, similar to Berryman's B12. It seems to take off the older, stickier, dark gray caulk, after you scrape off as much as you can. Since it evaporates almost immediately, you have to wipe it very quickly to get the best results. I had to spray the same area two or three times. I would scrub the first time, then wipe away the residue the subsequent times. I will probably try this some more when I get back to work at it, but remember it is very flammable.

For something less volatile I was thinking of buying some silicone remover. Lowe's had some in a large spray bottle, but I didn't know if it was any good. I may pick up some tomorrow.

I would have liked to rivet my rooftop patch in place and make a nicer looking job of it. I looked around Temple for some appropriate rivets and found nothing I thought would do. I know nearly nothing about rivets, but I'm learning. I thought the guys at Fastenal would smile, then reach behind the counter and pull out a fistful of Olympic 5/16's and send me on my way. What I did get was a puzzled look. I have to hand it to the two guys there, they Googled it and then found something comparable to Olympics from a supplier that they use. Of course I wanted them right then and said "no thank you" to the offer to order some up for me.

As for caulk, the RV place down the road only had 721-UV in white. I need to pick up a tube of Silver/Gray in case I have some larger gaps to fill later on in areas that will show. The Parbond has worked well in the size gaps that I have filled so far.

One thing I have learned from this experience and others: I won't use silicone caulk on aluminum. I'm pretty certain that this silicone was put on within the last year. It looks bad. It peels up around the edges. It leaks. Its hard to clean up.

Still wondering if I can find parts to fix my antenna-raiser.

Best of luck,
Stephen
Old 08-07-2010, 09:06 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tyler , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin View Post
Here's a diagram of the antenna - I don't believe you have enough of the parts to even start with - most of the items can no longer be found....

http://www.hhbraund.com/skyliner%20ant.pdf

That's great, thanks! You may be right about the part deficit.

Stephen
Old 08-07-2010, 09:39 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
raleigh , North Carolina
Antenna and pipe vents:
Today I used a Motsenbocker silicone remove and it worked well. first pulled all the thick stuff off then 2-3 app/scrapes cleaned it pretty well. Lots of scraping, using some "non scratch" scotch pads, rags. Old vulkem under silicone scraped out. Plastic putty knives, edge of old cred cards, red bristle brushes...
My clearcoat is not so great on top (seems fine on the sides) and I know I removed some of it in my stripping process. I don't think that's a big deal for now if I intend to polish it all later anyway; or paint the roof white. I just want good seals up there when I'm done.

Loosened antenna screws (not rivets there) and will pop it off tomorrow (I didn't today because chance of rain). The antenna unit itself seemed to be fine. It raises/lowers just fine; not sure about rotating it from inside - i don't want to break it and just haven't tried to rotate it before.
I'm still on the fence about putting our antenna back. I'm just not sure we would use it - but I might want to have it just because it's original.
stephenh2, If I decide not to put it back up, then you'll have first dibs on it.

By 1pm it was way too hot for me to be up there in no shade! Literally frying an egg on it hot. I called it a day and took my son to a friend's b-day party.

Loosened all pipe vent screws (2 vents), but each has 2 screws seized. I soaked them with pb blaster and will try again tomorrow. Maybe drilling them is the only way? That plumbing vent just looks prone to leaking and there are other cap designs that look much more water tight. I'll probably just get the gasket kit, but thick epdm rubber would work fine - and why not improve the seal to pipe with a stainless hose clamp? It looks like it woudl fit in the vent cover.

I though I might patch the antenna hole with just a circle of sheet alum if I don't keep it there. Only thing I could get today (just in case I got that far) was a 12x18 sheet at Home depot - thinner than I would have liked, and $21 at that! (is that a ridiculous price for that little piece of thin aluminum?) I think I'll wait til Mon when I can get the good stuff from the local supplier. While at HD I just loaded up on a variety of solvents, scrapers, stainless screws.
I don't really want to get into the olympic rivets and expensive shaver tools for this patch that no one will ever see. I thought that maybe those "closed end" sealer rivets would work. They're just like a regular pop-rivet except the end is closed. Then maybe just parbond the tiny hole on top?

Work last week took me close to Out-of-Doors Mart in NC (oldest AS dealer in the world). Being so close, I had to drop in. Picked up some vulkem, parbond, and some other odds n ends. Just like a candy store in there and the first AS dealer I had ever been to. Lots of new and older campers to admire.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I removed my antenna and put a nice aluminum patch setting on a ring of butyl tape and held in place with #10 x 1/2" ss pan head screws and edge sealed and screw topped with Vulkem 116 gray. I like the looks of the patch much better than the antenna with the broken wire. At the inside location of the former antenna crank I pulled a 12 volt red wire and I'm currently shopping for a nice 12 volt light to put there.

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Still wondering if I can find parts to fix my antenna-raiser.
How about an entire antenna - scroll down:

Fletcher's Trailer Sales - Parts
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:44 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
raleigh , North Carolina
Thumbs up Here's my antenna patch

got a lot done yesterday, with help and inspiration from airforums!

Old 05-05-2017, 07:41 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Hyannis , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
I removed my antenna and put a nice aluminum patch setting on a ring of butyl tape and held in place with #10 x 1/2" ss pan head screws and edge sealed and screw topped with Vulkem 116 gray. I like the looks of the patch much better than the antenna with the broken wire. At the inside location of the former antenna crank I pulled a 12 volt red wire and I'm currently shopping for a nice 12 volt light to put there.

Gary
I need to get a some aluminum sheet to patch my antenna hole. What size did you use? Looks like there are 2 things that need to be patched, the crank hole and the mount screw/rivet holes. I'm thinking one rectangular patch. Lot's of great info on patching bt I can't find the size to cut. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, silicone