Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Bumpers & Bumper Storage
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-02-2003, 08:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Rear bumper storage latch mystery

My 1974 Tradewind has a broken rear bumper storage latch. It is black plastic and is attached to the bumper with rivets. I have located and purchased an identical replacement latch but I can't figure out how to open the latch so that I can rivet it to the bumper. The slide moves back and forth along the base but it will not move far enough for me to reach the rivet holes. HELP!!! This thing is driving me crazy.
Shelby Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 09:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
They come apart, how I don't really know but I hit one with my buffer wheel and the pieces went flying. Got it back together just fine. I think you gotta get rough with it, like retracting it and then prying upwards.

You got a new one right? I didn't know they were still available? Maybe whoever you got it from could tell you how?

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 10:04 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Pull the slide back toward the retracted position as far as it will go (it's vital to get it all the way back), then pry the nose up with a stiff putty knife. Do this carefully, because the spring will go bye bye very easily when the thing flies apart.

It takes sort of a leap of faith to disassemble one the first time. They feel like they will break before coming apart, but they're apparently made of some pretty sturdy stuff.

My '74 Argosy uses the same latch with a flush pull on the interior doors. For those, you have to take the pull off first to get the latch to retract all the way.

Bob McKeown
Nashville
mcneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 10:49 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for the information -- With a little force and the slide retracted to the right position I was able to take them apart. Didn't even loose the springs. I was a little nervous with the amount of force necessary to pop them apart. Thanks again, Shelby
Shelby Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote