Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Bumpers & Bumper Storage
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2007, 06:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
rear bumper storage area water issues

I have the beginnings of severe rust to the galvanized box that holds the black water tank on our 69. The angle iron is getting replaced, but it seems to me this area is going to continue to be prone to water collecting.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I've considered drilling some small holes to let water out, but am concerned about them clogging up or otherwise getting blocked. I can't imagine the lid was ever water tight.

I do know there is solid sheet metal about 3 inches in, so I'm going to patch the sheet metal box for now and replace the supports. Eventually I want to reconfigure tanks but that's not in the budget for now. My concern is making sure that I minimize any chance of the problem again in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0645 (Small).JPG
Views:	199
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	46513   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0646 (Small).JPG
Views:	174
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	46514  

goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
I agree, it's a water magnet. I am playing with mine right now- it's still too ugly and not working right to post a pic.

The way it was, the bottom of the bumper compartment fed into the bellypan under the Btank box, so all the water poured and collected at the bottom of the box. When I put in a new box and angle irons I put a longer belly sheet in that comes up about 3 inches in front of the black tank- so if you're looking in your bumper compartment you see the belly coming up in front of the Btank. The bottom of the bumper compartment is attached further back, behind where the belly comes up. This way most of the water is going out the belly. Right now I'm adding a 8" wide piece to completely block the black tank from the bumper compartment- except a whole for the sewer connections. I don't think it will be totally water tight, but maybe better than before.

I hope I'm making sense. Good luck!

"If you want something done right, do it yourself!"
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 01:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
I have the same issue, the panel between the bumper compartment and the BT is totally gone, and I think whatever holds the black tank in place is rusted out also.

Peter
Old 02-18-2008, 03:01 PM   #4
BAUXITE

2004 25' Classic
homosassa , Florida
I drilled holes in mine and it did not solve the problem. What I do now is keep the front end higher when in storage. This seems to work.