Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2018, 11:54 AM   #1

1967 28' Ambassador
La Jolla , CA
rear bumper separation. need advice!

Hi all
Sooo...the rear bumper and frame is separated from the body on my '67 Ambassador. Trying to figure out the best way to go about repairing it.

Do I need to remove the entire bathroom and go from the inside? There is some rot on the plywood subfloor around the perimeter.

Or...can it be repaired from the outside?

Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated!

sorry the pics are sideways. not sure why its doing that
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear bumper 1.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	321189   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear bumper 2.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	321190  

campcuthrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
You may have a serious frame issue but nothing that can't be fixed. Remove the bathroom. Remove the lower interior skin. Remove the bellypan and rear banana wraps. Start in reverse order. Fix rotted frame. Replace rotted floor. Install bathroom and bellypan. Also put some flashing in rear shell to bumper. Many threads on this repair. Just google rear end separation fix.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:12 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The only thing I would add is that you really don't know how much repairs are needed until you get things torn apart. It could be pretty simple, in some cases it's more than you would expect. Simply put - hope for the best, but plan enough time (and space) for a lot of work. If you luck out, spend the extra time sipping margarita's by the pool

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 06:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
When you are repairing your frame I would recommend that you plan all the frame work before you start. Keeping the frame level through the heating of welding is not as simple as one would think.

It would likely be useful to examine other years to see how the frame under-beam is setup. On my trailer it goes all the way to the rear bumper. Also the size, shape, and thickness of the frame has changed over the years. I am not aware of any reference documents for this stuff.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 06:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
My 68 Tradewind had a rotten bathroom floor and separation. As mentioned already, remove the bath, lower interior walls in the bath, etc. There is no quick fix for the problem. It takes a lot of work and time but isn't really too expensive. Fix it right and fix it once.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 09:39 AM   #6

1967 28' Ambassador
La Jolla , CA
Thanks for all the input y'all. This was what I was afraid of...I think we've bitten off more than we can chew with this thing...:-(
Jen & Camp
campcuthrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 11:18 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
Not a simple fix 'but,' there are lots of examples of this problem on this site and all the different fixes and methods to get there. Search around, read up on it look at pictures and make your decision based on that.

Did you by it like that? Or have you owned for a time and this just happened? This process of rot and frame failure has been going on with your trailer for years, finally not enough pieces solid enough to hold it together and it fails. Common problem, good luck!
Monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 01:01 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Galena , Illinois
I was looking into rear end damage when I carried 2 bicycles for a long way, so I called Jackson Center and was told there are 2 forms of repair available for different amount of damages of rear end separation. The first was simple broken rivets and possible structural repair where necessary this was a little over $2,000. The next was more serious structural repair from rear end separation, this will set you back about $6,500. This does not include replacing your floor, just the under carriage repairs and replaced metal pieces. I was told this method would be as good as new as far as the strength of the rear end would end up. And there's a 2 month wait.
75Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:57 AM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75Bob View Post
I was looking into rear end damage when I carried 2 bicycles for a long way, so I called Jackson Center and was told there are 2 forms of repair available for different amount of damages of rear end separation. The first was simple broken rivets and possible structural repair where necessary this was a little over $2,000. The next was more serious structural repair from rear end separation, this will set you back about $6,500. This does not include replacing your floor, just the under carriage repairs and replaced metal pieces. I was told this method would be as good as new as far as the strength of the rear end would end up. And there's a 2 month wait.
Hi

I don't know if the rear end stuff has it's own waiting list. Right now the wait for the "next slot" on repairs at JC is a bit over three months ( = mid August to early December).

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:25 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Do a search on "rear end separation" and you will find more than you ever want to know.