Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2017, 06:39 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Weaverville , North Carolina
Rear Bumper and Drawer

I am in need of a rear bumper and drawer for a 1998 Excella 1000. Please let me know if anyone has any information on how I can get this part.
diverjean1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I checked at Out of Doors Mart a few years ago for those same replacement parts. When they called, someone at Airstream told them those parts are no longer available. Either used parts or repairing what is there are the only options.

The bottom of the drawer in my 99 Excella is rusted out in a few spots and has flakey rust over the entire bottom. The fiberglass bumper cover is cracked from a slight collision by the PO. I have been contemplating this repair for 3 years, from the time I purchased. During that time I have not seen a complete drawer/bumper for sale anywhere. Though, I suspect any used one I could find would be in similar condition. I've decided to rebuild the existing drawer box, when the time comes that it does not function for me.

There are a few threads in the forum about how to rebuild the drawer box using the existing rails. I have not studied enough to explain that process.

This week I have been working on the bumper cover. I've straightened out the metal support structure beneath the cover and part of the drawer that was slightly bent (using a hammer, pliers, and a block of wood). I've removed the loose pieces of gel coat from the bumper cover. My plan is to fill in the small voids with a buildup of fiberglass cloth and resin. Then I will coat the entire damaged spot with resin. After sanding smooth, I plan to paint the entire bumper with truck bed liner, the type in a rattle can.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:37 AM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
I'm not sure which rear bumper part number you need, but I have a NOS bumper in my shop and no longer own an Airstream. This bumper is 78 inches wide and the hole spacing is 59-5/8 inches.

PM me if part number 410121 is what you are looking for.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
I'm not sure which rear bumper part number you need, but I have a NOS bumper in my shop and no longer own an Airstream. This bumper is 78 inches wide and the hole spacing is 59-5/8 inches.

PM me if part number 410121 is what you are looking for.
Thanks for the offer, but that is not the part I need.
The bumper on my Excella has rubber bumpers and a fiberglass cover over a metal substructure. The rubber part of bumper is mounted onto the drawer face that pulls out from the rear of the trailer. The fiberglass cover does not move.

Post 13 in this thread has a photo of a drawer similar to mine.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...tml#post788515
Old 02-18-2017, 01:34 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Argyle , Texas
I don't know what part of the US you are in. North Dallas R. V. Repair - a certified Airstream service - repaired the drawer and bumper for us on a 28'Classic 2005 model. The previous owner centered something and it was raining with mud knee deep when we bought it at an auction. Perfect on the inside but we could not get down to look under-neath as we should have done.
Betty Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 04:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Farmer View Post
<<snip>> a certified Airstream service - repaired the drawer and bumper for us on a 28'Classic 2005 model. <<snip>> .
The newer model's drawer/bumper is similar to the late 1990's, but different in shape. According to what I was told by ODM counter sales guys, those parts would not fit. (they are different part numbers)