Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2022, 07:44 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
East Lansing , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portage to Caravan View Post
Using this "logic", having a trailer mounted behind your vehicle will obscure the plate on the tow vehicle. Never mind the trailer ball being in the way.
A plate being partially obscured, where in it takes little (to no) effort to look around the obstruction, should not be a reason for a traffic stop.
Plates in Ontario are imbedded with tech. that allows a traffic cop to look up everything on file (about the vehicle and registered driver) without need of anyone pulling over.
Tow vehicle plates are readily visible when alongside the tow vehicle.

I doubt the Ontario plates have tech embedded in them. All an officer need do, in Michigan, is run the plate number on his MDC and SOS/LEIN will return with vehicle and registered owner information... including registered owners driver license status, outstanding warrants, served or u served PPO's, plate expiration date, etc.

In Michigan, trailer plates are non-expiring.... but that does not mean it hasn't been unlawfully attached to an unregistered vehicle or has not been stolen, etc.
Old 05-16-2022, 12:25 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
Beaumont , California
1. No one has a right to drive a motor vehicle on a public road / highway; if they did, licensing would not be valid

2. Vehicle plates are there to allow for identifying the ownership of a vehicle, and whether or not it has current registration and / or insurance.

3. Vehicle plates are used to identify a vehicle suspected of being used in the commission of a crime.

Therefore, license plates must be in place and completely legible, or what’s the point?

So no, you may not obscure any part of a plate with a bike rack or bicycle, considering the INTENT of the law. Anywhere!

Arguing otherwise is to dismiss one’s responsibility as a citizen.
Old 05-16-2022, 11:09 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
East Lansing , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndcctrucks View Post
1. No one has a right to drive a motor vehicle on a public road / highway; if they did, licensing would not be valid

2. Vehicle plates are there to allow for identifying the ownership of a vehicle, and whether or not it has current registration and / or insurance.

3. Vehicle plates are used to identify a vehicle suspected of being used in the commission of a crime.

Therefore, license plates must be in place and completely legible, or what’s the point?

So no, you may not obscure any part of a plate with a bike rack or bicycle, considering the INTENT of the law. Anywhere!

Arguing otherwise is to dismiss one’s responsibility as a citizen.
Well said! You are exactly right!
Old 05-17-2022, 08:28 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWanderer View Post
Wow... with that attitude, I suspect you think prosecuting the Buffalo, New York murderer now in the news, is not a good thing! You don't think enforcing the law is necessary?

Maybe truckers should ignore red lights and just barrel through intersections with their 80,000 pound rigs.

Maybe everyone should just remove their license plates... the car thieves will love you for it!

Perhaps victims of crime should carry out their own punishment after catching the criminal who violated them.... hopefully it's the right criminal.

Having zipped more people into body bags than I care to remember, I can say with absolute certainty that law enforcement is necessary. There are evil, criminal, ignorant and foolish people among us. Society needs a way to address and hold accountable those who violate the law. Without it, there would be utter chaos in the streets.
I regret that I have not mastered the art of sarcasm when communicating online. You and I most certainly are singing from the same hymnal, Snow Wanderer.
(1) I grew up 4 blocks from the Tops Supermarket you referred to and was in Buffalo in that neighborhood for the riots in the mid-1960's also in that neighborhood.
(2) I spent the early part of my career working in emergency rooms in Buffalo and later in Washington DC and Indiana. I zipped my share of body bags, many for the victims of intoxicated drivers or other criminal behavior.
(3) I've worked closely with law enforcement and in senior levels of the executive branch of state government, where I had responsibility for enforcing state laws.

My intent was to sarcastically challenge those who strongly react to being inconvenienced on rare occasions when a LEO is simply doing the job we ask them to do. Yes, officers sometimes misuse the power we give them, particularly when they stop people for DWB. But that is a separate problem society needs to continuously monitor and address.

Thank you, Snow Wanderer, for they service you obviously provided to keeping society safe. I understand why you would respond strongly to my comment. I, too, am troubled by the erosion of courtesy, increased roadway aggression, and disregard for motor vehicle laws that our elected representatives have passed and our public servants are tasked with enforcing.

Safe travels,
Closed Thread