Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
Custom bumper storage cover

I seem to remember seeing a really nicely designed bumper storage cover someone fabricated out of thicker aluminum to replace the original Airstream cover. Does this sound familiar to anyone? The cover on our '64 fits the category of "dumbest Airstream design/what were they thinking", being designed so that water channels towards the rear edge of the plywood floor, as well as into the bumper storage. The cover itself is thin, like 18ga metal. The retrofit I remember seeing was far more robust, with a sloping cover to shed water over the bumper, and more sturdy cover latches. I've come up with a replacement design which our local sheetmetal guy is pricing for me (holding breath). Here is a picture of part of our cover, without the belt trim and the half of the hinge that mounts under the belt trim.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8243.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	101052  
Old 04-22-2010, 04:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
in a stop gap measure, I Por15ed the metal that was exposed, and caulked between the aluminum and the frame to keep moisture from further ruining the plywood. It isn't pretty, but it will be covered up when whatever hinge setup goes back in place.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Globie,

What did you ever come up with? I'm thinking of eliminating the bumper storage altogether.
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHoot View Post
Globie,

What did you ever come up with? I'm thinking of eliminating the bumper storage altogether.
Where will you store stinky slinky?

I saw a picture of a stink tube mounted behind the rear axle. Maybe it was in front of the axle. I liked that idea.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
I haven't dealt with it yet. I found that the battery had fallen through the rotten floor and so I'm dealing with that. The leaking slinky storage was part of the problem- I will have the sloped cover fabricated as soon as I can. I think to do away with the storage is probably the best idea, wish I had thought of it, and store the slinky in a tube slung underneath the coach. Not original, but that storage container is such a dumb design, I can deal with non original solution.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
Where will you store stinky slinky?

I saw a picture of a stink tube mounted behind the rear axle. Maybe it was in front of the axle. I liked that idea.
Storage tube is what I thought I would do if I do away with the bumper storage completely.
Other idea is to redesign the rear bumper storage area so that there is a small gap between the trailer body/floor and the storage area lid.
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
I'm now in the middle of a floor repair in the rear of the trailer, and will be forced to deal with the bumper storage compartment- making the compartment separate and discontinuous with the rest of the underfloor area is a great idea-