Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2006, 10:17 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
dousman , Wisconsin
Bumper Hatch Cover

Hi All,
Recently purchased 64' Tradewind - Working on restore, and loving it.

Looking for replacement cover - or - aluminum sheetstock for rear bumper storage hatch. Found Sheet/ roll stock at airpartsinc.com.

My question is: What thickness ( mil ) would be best suited to this project?

Thank - You,

Karol
campngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 10:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
At least 0.050, and even then you may have to form an edge to make it act like a lid. Actually, 0.035 (this is the nominal skin thickness of the shell, so you know it's not very thick, but it is tough) would work if you formed a fold along all four edges. Believe it or not, you can get a nice folded edge by using two 2x4s clamped with the sheet between them and about 1/3" sticking out. Tap it down 90 degrees using a plastic mallet on the very edge of the metal, then fold it under carefully by laying it down with the flange up and tapping the edge, not the fold (you're trying not to get too tight a radius in order not to crack the metal at the fold). This fold will allow thin sheet to provide the stiffness you'd want in a lid.

You don't want too stiff an alloy (so the edge won't crack), but if you get one that's at the extreme end of soft, you won't have a prayer of keeping it flat for very long.

If you want to avoid the metalwork, find a place that does aluminum welding and see what kind of scrap they have. If they work on aluminum truck boxes, they'll have some 0.100 or 0.125 laying around--you definitely wouldn't need to put a fold on that stuff and a hard alloy would be a good choice.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:06 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
dousman , Wisconsin
Thanks so much for the information.

Will I be able to roll a hinge for the back edge using .100 or .125 - or - is that something I should let a sheet metal shop do?

Thanks,
Karol
Old 07-14-2006, 11:08 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
dousman , Wisconsin
-- Or --- would I need to attach a thinner piece to the back instead of a piece of the same thickness for the hinge?

Karol
Old 07-15-2006, 07:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
I don't think you need to roll the back edge (my mistake). A single thickness is strong enough to attach to the hinge. If yours is like all three of mine, you have a piano hinge there, which you can just rivet to the back edge of the lid and that will provide all the stiffness along that edge that you need.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
check ebay

hi- I saw yesterday there is a bumper hatch cover for sale on ebay, though from a much newer unit. Might work though? You could also make one from that diamond-plate aluminum, it comes thick enough where you wouldn't need to roll over any edges. Just an idea- tim
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 12:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
yikes, why didn't I think of that? that's perfect. diamond plate aluminum--I'm sure it was lurking right below the surface of consciousness...
Old 10-19-2006, 10:19 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
dousman , Wisconsin
Hi,
I am firing up this thread again. Been away for awhile working on the new aquisition.
I have finished the bumper cover. It took a little time to get to it, because it was down the list of priorities... had to keep the weather out and replace split water supply and drain pipes.
Thanks Zep for the info on the thickness of the aluminum stock - and making a starting bend using two 2 x 4s clamped together. Worked really well for a brake. As for aluminum stock thickness went with 40 or 45 which was a little hard to work with... if I had to do it again I would go thinner ( 30 or 35 )and fold over the outer edges to keep cover flat.
Not a standard hinge.
Hinge half consists of a continuous channel shaped like an underturned
" G ", running the entire width of the trailer, had to roll another " G " to interlock with the half of the hinge that was already there.
Again, Thank - You,
Karol
Old 10-19-2006, 10:34 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
dousman , Wisconsin
Great source for Aluminum Stock in South Eastern Wisconsin:

Speedy Metals
New Berlin, Wisconsin
they have a website, business address was not current - call to get correct address.
( sheets, channels, rods, bars ---- they have everything!!!!!!)

Karol
Old 10-19-2006, 11:44 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Locking rear hatch?

Has anyone come up with an elegant solution to the electrical cord exiting the rear and being able to close the hatch. Yeah, it sort of lays there but it bends the hinge if you try to securing it and leaves things open to the weather and is sort of an invitation for someone to see what's there for the taking. One reason I ask is that on our last trip the wife had a brilliant suggestion for where to store the trunion bars. You guessed it, with the hose and cord out the rear bumper is the perfect place for them. I suppose I can come up with a way to use the chains to lock them up but being able to lock the rear bumper would be nice.

-Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 12:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhayden
Has anyone come up with an elegant solution to the electrical cord exiting the rear and being able to close the hatch. Yeah, it sort of lays there but it bends the hinge if you try to securing it and leaves things open to the weather and is sort of an invitation for someone to see what's there for the taking. One reason I ask is that on our last trip the wife had a brilliant suggestion for where to store the trunion bars. You guessed it, with the hose and cord out the rear bumper is the perfect place for them. I suppose I can come up with a way to use the chains to lock them up but being able to lock the rear bumper would be nice.

-Bernie
Bernie,

The rear hatch cover on our Safari has a notch for the power cord and the cover then sits flat.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 12:47 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
The rear hatch cover on our Safari has a notch for the power cord and the cover then sits flat.Bill
Is there a flap or some such that covers the hole when the power cord isn't going through it? A picture? I could pretty easilly put a slot in the end of the cover for the cord but I'd want something to fill the hole when it's all buttoned up (which is the vast majority of the time )

-Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 07:10 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhayden
Is there a flap or some such that covers the hole when the power cord isn't going through it? A picture? I could pretty easilly put a slot in the end of the cover for the cord but I'd want something to fill the hole when it's all buttoned up (which is the vast majority of the time )

-Bernie
Bernie,

Here is a picture of the slot with the power cord out.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1054.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	27253  
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/