Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2021, 04:05 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
I got an easy solution. Just ditch the motor and pedal.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 04:40 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
I got an easy solution. Just ditch the motor and pedal.
That wasn't the question.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 10:21 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
That wasn't the question.
Well being that the question was asked 3.5 years ago I think a bit of thread drift would be ok.
Old 11-25-2021, 10:25 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
Well being that the question was asked 3.5 years ago I think a bit of thread drift would be ok.
Ha, I didn't even notice that.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 11-26-2021, 06:48 AM   #65
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Ha, I didn't even notice that.

It was revisited 11/23/21 post #47
Old 11-26-2021, 07:02 AM   #66
3 Rivet Member

2021 28' International
Knoxville , Tennessee
We have Montague E-Bikes (M1-E), the only full size (26”tires) folding E-Bike.

I didn’t want small bikes that look like toy bikes or kids bikes, being 6’ tall.

One bike, minus the battery, rides on the Flamma rack, and one can ride in the truck bed or in the trailer, folded.
Gibson3798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 09:23 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeocamperAS View Post
It was revisited 11/23/21 post #47
Oops! Sorry, I forgot to abide by the revisited rule.
Old 11-27-2021, 10:45 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
OK, so what is the real answer for best folding bike?? what are the issues/pluses with 20" tire folding bike vs the 26" other than "looks"? Weight and size are an issue for carrying these, no mater where you plan to store for travel..some are heavy some are light; they all are expensive, right? I read the motor in the drive axel wheel is not as efficient as the external motor. I also read you want at least 350W motor, but 500W seems to be better. I have heard the fatter tires are better for riding on gravel or dirt roads, like campgrounds from talking with owners. There is so much to learn before plunking down $$.

This is a pretty interesting read: https://electricbikereview.com/best-...-electric-bike

From this, the Go Cycle seems pretty interesting at 37lbs...designed by Mcclaran Race team folks?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 11:02 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
I can across this from BC Parks limiting the type of e-bike for the trail systems.

It seems that pedal assist bikes will be allowed on trails but throttle assist bikes can only go where other motor vehicles go.

I think this will be very hard to enforce as identifying the various assist systems will be hard for the park personnel.

I’m not too sure if this same approach applies to state or national parks. This type of restriction might help in the selection of which e-bike to get.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/recreation/biking/

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 11:15 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_NB View Post
I can across this from BC Parks limiting the type of e-bike for the trail systems.

It seems that pedal assist bikes will be allowed on trails but throttle assist bikes can only go where other motor vehicles go.

I think this will be very hard to enforce as identifying the various assist systems will be hard for the park personnel.

I’m not too sure if this same approach applies to state or national parks. This type of restriction might help in the selection of which e-bike to get.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/recreation/biking/
"Most" electric bikes have the option of power and/or pedal; I see lots of folks just using pedal power in campgrounds..not sure how that would be an issue in any park let alone enforcing...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 11-27-2021, 11:28 AM   #71

2021 27' Globetrotter
Metairie , Louisiana
Kuat e bike rack

We have to heavy e-bikes. I have a front hitch mounted rack from Kuat. Very sturdy but costly. I feel very secure with the bikes on this rack. 2” hitch.
BoogieTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 11:42 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
"Most" electric bikes have the option of power and/or pedal; I see lots of folks just using pedal power in campgrounds..not sure how that would be an issue in any park let alone enforcing...
I think this is referring to limiting throttle controlled e-bikes. I would think that if I was riding a 60 lbs. e-bike on a trail, I would be using the power assist

The link explains how BC Parks classifies e-bikes and like I stated, I am not too sure about other jurisdictions but if I were looking into getting an e-bike, I would want to know if there are any limitations to where I can ride it. My search would include state parks and national parks as they would be on my list to travel to.

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 12:41 PM   #73
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_NB View Post
I think this is referring to limiting throttle controlled e-bikes. I would think that if I was riding a 60 lbs. e-bike on a trail, I would be using the power assist

The link explains how BC Parks classifies e-bikes and like I stated, I am not too sure about other jurisdictions but if I were looking into getting an e-bike, I would want to know if there are any limitations to where I can ride it. My search would include state parks and national parks as they would be on my list to travel to.
The BC Parks classification system is based on the US National Park classification system. The US announcement is here

There is a lot of discussion above of ebike brands, motor watts, tire size, and so on, but the first question prospective purchasers should decide on is what classification of ebike they want.

Class 1 is an electric assist, limited speed. If it has a throttle and can be operated without pedaling, that isn't a Class 1 device.

Class 2 is an electric bike with a throttle, one that permits motion without pedaling. In some jurisdictions, including BC, these are subject to low speed motorcycle regulations. That means a motorcycle helmet, insurance, no use on bike paths or multi use paths, and so on. Enforcement is straightforward; if the user is not pedaling (particularly from a stop) but is moving at a stead speed other than downhill, then they can be stopped and the bike checked.

Class 3 is a higher speed electric assist. It may not be legal in bike lanes and on multi use paths, depending on the jurisdiction. These are harder for LOEs to spot, unless they are being used irresponsibly (eg very high speed).

The rules are becoming stricter everywhere, but they aren't consistent yet. This matters for those who plan to travel with their ebikes. What is clear is that the safest purchase is a Class 1 electric assist bike. Other classes of electric bikes may be subject to restricted use, especially over time, and in fact are restricted in many places already.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 01:28 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
The BC Parks classification system is based on the US National Park classification system. The US announcement is here

There is a lot of discussion above of ebike brands, motor watts, tire size, and so on, but the first question prospective purchasers should decide on is what classification of ebike they want.

Class 1 is an electric assist, limited speed. If it has a throttle and can be operated without pedaling, that isn't a Class 1 device.

Class 2 is an electric bike with a throttle, one that permits motion without pedaling. In some jurisdictions, including BC, these are subject to low speed motorcycle regulations. That means a motorcycle helmet, insurance, no use on bike paths or multi use paths, and so on. Enforcement is straightforward; if the user is not pedaling (particularly from a stop) but is moving at a stead speed other than downhill, then they can be stopped and the bike checked.

Class 3 is a higher speed electric assist. It may not be legal in bike lanes and on multi use paths, depending on the jurisdiction. These are harder for LOEs to spot, unless they are being used irresponsibly (eg very high speed).

The rules are becoming stricter everywhere, but they aren't consistent yet. This matters for those who plan to travel with their ebikes. What is clear is that the safest purchase is a Class 1 electric assist bike. Other classes of electric bikes may be subject to restricted use, especially over time, and in fact are restricted in many places already.
Exactly why I only shopped, and bought class1

Old 11-28-2021, 01:06 PM   #75
2 Rivet Member

2014 19' International
Aloha , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeocamperAS View Post
First page of the link says “ as low as 33lbs”. But I could not find a weight listed separately for each model bike.

As far as price, we love our ebikes. They got us back riding again. If lighter was important for transport or any other reason, it’s worth the price.

My wife’s Turbo Vado 4.0 SL step-through weighs 35 lbs with the optional kickstand and a Topeak bike rack. My Turbo Vado 5.0 SL weighs the same with Ergon GP3 grips, Shimano SPD pedals and a Topeak bike rack. This is the weight I have to lift onto the bike racks mounted on our Retrax tonneau cover. It is about the same weight as my Trek Fuel EX8 dual suspension mountain bike. These are for cycling enthusiasts. Less weight but less assist as well - advertised as “2x you” which seems sufficient for us even on some nasty hills. They’re the perfect camping bikes for us - a good blend of paved and unsaved road capability that are OK on easy trails as well.
PeterDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 01:23 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterDB View Post
My wife’s Turbo Vado 4.0 SL step-through weighs 35 lbs with the optional kickstand and a Topeak bike rack. My Turbo Vado 5.0 SL weighs the same with Ergon GP3 grips, Shimano SPD pedals and a Topeak bike rack. This is the weight I have to lift onto the bike racks mounted on our Retrax tonneau cover. It is about the same weight as my Trek Fuel EX8 dual suspension mountain bike. These are for cycling enthusiasts. Less weight but less assist as well - advertised as “2x you” which seems sufficient for us even on some nasty hills. They’re the perfect camping bikes for us - a good blend of paved and unsaved road capability that are OK on easy trails as well.
These are very impressive, but pretty pricy also. I see the Vado is advertised as "4X you"! Would love to get my hands on one and try it out. The 90 mile range, 28mph, and 33-35lb weight is pretty sweet! How long you had yours and any input appreciated. These would fit on the Fiama at 33lbs...especially if you can remove the battery?
Old 11-30-2021, 09:18 AM   #77
2 Rivet Member

2014 19' International
Aloha , Oregon
The Turbo Vado and Turbo Vado SL are different models. “SL” is the 2X you, 33-lb bike. The non-SL is heavier but has more assist. When we had our AS19 with the Fiama rack we would put two 30-ish lb mountain bikes on the rack with no problems. Our AS23D came without a rack and we decided to not get one, opting for the TV mounted rack which is more secure, more versatile (taking bikes somewhere without the AS), less damage to the bikes (it is hard to keep them from rubbing together on the Fiama) and better access to the rear hatch.
PeterDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterDB View Post
The Turbo Vado and Turbo Vado SL are different models. “SL” is the 2X you, 33-lb bike. The non-SL is heavier but has more assist. When we had our AS19 with the Fiama rack we would put two 30-ish lb mountain bikes on the rack with no problems. Our AS23D came without a rack and we decided to not get one, opting for the TV mounted rack which is more secure, more versatile (taking bikes somewhere without the AS), less damage to the bikes (it is hard to keep them from rubbing together on the Fiama) and better access to the rear hatch.
Understand; we have had a Fiama with our Trek mountain bikes on 3 different AS's now, with no issues/rubbing. You learn to get in/out of rear compartment with the Fiama but not that difficult. I plan to evaluate these at a local bike shop shortly, but price is still pretty steep...