Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2018, 07:08 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Cresskill , New Jersey
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8059.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	657.7 KB
ID:	310707 I carry my Levo and my rapd bike on my saris rack with no movement.
B.E.A.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:04 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
A little late, since you already have your e-bikes, but we had the same concerns about how to bring ours with us on camping trips. I didn't want them on the front of the truck, didn't have room in the bed of the truck, and didn't want them inside the trailer. As you mentioned, they are too heavy for us to put on top of the bed or truck, and ours are only ~50 lbs. each.. So we got two foldable e-bikes that fit in the back of my crew cab truck with the back seat folded up. It works out great. We are almost home from a month long trip through FL, GA, SC and TN, and we've ridden them at almost every stop. They really help flatten out the hills!
We have two Enzo foldup EBikes and store them in the back of the crew cab as well. This has been great for my wife and I as it equalizes effort. No worries about "can't you go faster" or "you are going too fast". We have been in Cades Cove in the Great Smokies this week and did the 11 mile loop each day for three days. Just spectacular on the bikes. It was also a great conversation starter.

I am not sure what to do with bikes weighing 70 pounds. That would be a chore even with a bike rack. Taking the foldup bikes out of the truck is actually less effort than taking road bikes on and off a bike rack. When taking regular road bikes off of a rack, it often feels like they are stuck together. It is not easy to get them separated and to the ground.
jnm30327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:56 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
We recently picked up two ebikes and a Saris rack. The installed Fiamma may take one and the other ? But since we use them around here, we have used the Saris on our daily driver and it works great! Easy to load and secure. The hitch tube comes with a bolt that tightens such that bike movement is minimal. For the TV - have ordered a front hitch. May end up carrying one or both bikes there. Not wild about the inevitable bug collection, but intend to at least cover the handle bars and seat with plastic bags.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:35 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjshier View Post
We recently picked up two ebikes and a Saris rack. The installed Fiamma may take one and the other ? But since we use them around here, we have used the Saris on our daily driver and it works great! Easy to load and secure. The hitch tube comes with a bolt that tightens such that bike movement is minimal. For the TV - have ordered a front hitch. May end up carrying one or both bikes there. Not wild about the inevitable bug collection, but intend to at least cover the handle bars and seat with plastic bags.

We put ours on the front. Bugs are a minor thing. The biggest issue is driving at night. May block lights. So we don’t drive at night or we put them in TT.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:56 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
Post-trip report with front hitch mount rack

Well, I thought the Saris rack was pretty tight, but there is some significant wiggle side-to-side while underway and right under your nose. I am convinced some UHMW shims could fix it, but mama says she doesn't like the bike parts in her view. Fair enough. We will still use the Saris for around here. It is slick to load and the integrated lock is very convenient.

Plan B is putting her bike on the installed Fiamma - tried it on the return trip and the back-up camera showed it was solid, and one bike is well under the limit. My bike will go in the truck bed. Because these are internally geared, it can easily lay sideways enough to allow the tonneau cover to close. But it means the generator is banished to the front hitch. As the Tonite Show said: More to Come...
Old 12-13-2018, 12:15 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
update

I installed some UHMW shims in the Saris rack at the pivot point and it is much more resistant to the side-to-side motion while underway. I also tried mounting the Champion 3400 Inverter generator to a steel plate mounted to the TV front receiver hitch I had installed for the bike rack. Idea was to make room in the bed of the truck by moving the generator fwd. It works well and the generator is out of sight and the headlights are not covered at all. A canvas cover should keep it clean-ish.

But I haven't entirely given up at least one bike on the front, and leaving the generator in the bed. We still would like to have the bike rack on the TV handy for day-trips away from the camp site. More experimenting, and maybe just pulling the bike seat to "thin out" any view obstruction. Is it summer camping season yet?
Old 12-13-2018, 05:34 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Monterey , California
OP, I’m in the same predicament and I’ve been thinking of the matter for the last 18 months. My conclusion is I will sell my eBike and make a switch back to traditional.

I’m not suggesting you do the same only consider the weather conditions where you’ll be. Any exterior rack with the bike on it will potentially allow water to intrude and with highway speeds, wind will force water into places it shouldn’t be - especially if you remove the battery.

However, if you’ve got the potential water/weather exposure problem solved, a company called Diamond Back Covers is great: diamonbackcovers.com

You can get a weather-tight bed topper and mount the bikes on top. The light duty version can hold 400lb while the heavy duty version can hold 1600lb. Or if you’re inclined, loosen the handlebars and put the bikes under the topper, inside the bed. They do make ramps to get the wheeled items from the ground up to the top.
Palik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:58 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
Unfortunately AS does not have or will provide any engineering performance of their trailer designs in regards to weight distribution and towing stability. There are many AS out there with rear bumper racks.

You could install a rear bumper rack and then you would need to determine if the resulting installation works for your towing conditions. The same could be said for any AS owner who modifies their trailer, or loads there trailer with gear, or upsets their tow weight distribution with full rear tanks.

I would suggest purchasing another set of bikes to be used with your trailer. Something like a Trek hybrid. Those will get you 10 miles or so with not much effort while cutting the weight by 60% to 29 pounds each and at $400 each they would likely cost less than a bike rack.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:04 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Store inside? We can do that with ours. I found bike wheel racks that are really sturdy. I put a wheel holder on front and back. No way they will move forward or backwards. Then put them on rubber mats and put moving blankets over them. Still have the front rack, and then if raining simply move the inside the AS.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:34 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Bike Friday folding bikes with electric pedal assist system are probably the lightest offering. The system can be fitted to their touring bikes.

I carry two of their touring bikes (28 pounds each) on an Airstream designed Fiamma carrier (75 pound capacity). If the battery is easily removable from the pedal assist equipped bike, you could most likely use the Fiamma.

As with their touring bikes, it takes time and effort to fold and stow them so using the carrier would be best.

If you must have a pedal assist electric bike, the Bike Fridays just might be the best solution.

https://www.bikefriday.com/folding-b...ystem-overview.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:36 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
LoLoHo, did a YouTube video recently that covered how they carry their E-bikes.
I believe the batteries are removable, so the weight is somewhat less to lift.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:33 PM   #32
bavarian cloud

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Leavenworth , Washington
I have a Diamondback HD aluminum bed cover on my Silverado HD. The cover is in 3 pieces, locks securely and keeps gear in the truck bed secure. I put my gear in bins in the truck bed and have a hook to pull them out with. Pushing them in is easier. The cover also opens up front and back when the bike racks are not attached to the crossbars. The bed cover has round bars on the outside edges (an option on the Diamondback covers), parallel to the truck bed rails, that I have attached Yakima round crossbars to. I then installed two Yakima racks to the crossbars. The bed cover will carry 1600 pounds, and the bike racks can carry heavy downhill mountain bikes so E-bikes should be ok too. I get the bikes on the bed cover in two steps. For step 1 I lean the bikes against the tailgate (in the down position), then stand on the tailgate and pull the bikes up on to the tailgate with me. For the second step I get on the bedcover, then pull the bike off the tailgate onto the bedcover with me. It seems a bit complicated but I don't have to pick up heavy awkward bikes over my head to get them on the rack using the two step approach. If I am staying someplace a while I take the bike racks off the crossbars so I can get into the front of the bed a bit easier, otherwise I use the hook or crawl under the cover to get stuff closer to the cab out. This set up has worked well for two seasons for us. I wouldn't want something on the front that blocks the headlights, a rear rack on the trailer isn't recommended for bikes that heavy, and putting them on the roof is tough and a threat to your vehicle paint with a heavy bike. Good luck!
basaltfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 12:22 PM   #33
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
Many Words about Lightweight Electric Bikes

No shortage of opinion here, and not always speaking in absolutes..

We need bikes.

A man pedaling a bicycle is more efficient than a salmon swimming”. (Scientific American)

I still remember the day my dad pushed 3yo me off down the driveway on my red and white 10” Sears fixie. So, to date, my cycling and bike building experience is seventy years. Twenty years ago I discovered and began building Electric Bikes. It's a hobby, not a profession. I'm hooked on them. I can zip through downtown traffic faster than a Lamborghini Diablo, and park for free.

"Look at that old man go!"
I heard while passing a carbon fiber peleton of colorful spandex unitards with clip-in fairy slippers huffing up a hill. I'm smiling like a Cheshire cat.

Electric bikes are still in a developmental flux. I've seen dozens of the proprietary design electric bike companies come and go out of business. Volkswagen made an electric folder that compacts neatly into the spare tire well in the car's trunk floor... Some Tour de France competitors have been busted with secreted electric drives concealed in frame. There's the absurd Montague paratrooper tidal force 2wd electric folder with ni-cads in the hubs (Somebody never heard of un-sprung weight). Just because it can be engineered, doesn't mean it needs to exist.

Unrealistic advertising
45 miles on a charge” is always accompanied with the caveat, “With some assist”. My Chevy Suburban gets 100mpg if I get out and push. If you do the volt-amp-watt math, you'll know the truth about how far you can go. Electric motors haven't changed significantly. “Duty cycle” is never mentioned. At full power, most e-bike motors can get hot enough to melt in twenty minutes. Cheap bikes don't have thermal sensitive controllers.

Recent e-bike mechanical innovations are ho-hum. It's the battery that has remarkably changed for the better, from lead to ni-cad to NIMH to Li-ion to Li iron Phosphate. Only a wealthy person can afford a cheap electric bike. You're going to love e-biking, and eventually upgrade to an expensive one. Skip the cheap bike, buy, or better, BUILD a good one in the first place, save money.

Most recently, what Shimano, Bosch, Panasonic, and ChinaJunk, have contrived, are complex seemingly cool bikes, universally designed for world market that are expensive and unnecessary, but marketed to the USA. Most of Europe and Asia are limited to 250W, which is a fairly worthless amount of assist for overweight America. These companies have millions invested in this concept, so it might become a useful norm someday. I've ridden them, they work OK, but seem silly-complicated.

The original USA Federal electric bike law (750W ONE Horsepower, 20mph) has been amended and complicated by lobbyists to include these fancy cool new power management systems. Problem I see is the proprietary crank motors driving a derailleur sprocket systems is not only user un-diagnosable, un-serviceable or un-repairable, but totally susceptible to the same old sprocket-derailleur mis-alignment , very vulnerable Bottom Bracket location, proprietary frames, and have fatally complex pedal sensing electronics. The local pedicab company tried them and went back to hub-motors.

KISS!!!!
Easy as pie. For many, fixing your bike is a right of passage. If you can change tires, grips, add a bike rack, you can home-build a very lightweight electric bike. If you weigh in at 175pounds or less, 750W (“there's no substitute for cubic inches”) is waaaay plenty enough power. Simple single-speed sprocket, you don't need “gears”, just twist the handgrip throttle same as your Harley. The Heinzmann hub-motors that I build with can achieve full torque in a half revolution, they're up to 20mph in a few seconds. They go like mad, weigh less than a Schwinn Varsity 10-speed. One could easily build an under 30pound e-bike, but they're so fast that I prefer the safety of heavier full suspension.

Folders
I bought a couple Lee Iacocca 20” electric folders, and a Heinzmann 20” folder. Eventually, I parted them out and kept the electronics. For me, folders are an unnecessary novelty. If you need to stuff a bike into the hold of your 25' sloop, maybe. Making the bike half as long but twice as wide solves little. They don't roll when folded, you have to carry them. I'd avoid them. I would motorize a Brompton if I wanted an electric folder. If you're into folders, check out the Russian DUX Militarian.

RACKS
I wholly understand the need to carry along bikes. Many folks with nice bikes, don't subject them to travel trailer bike racks. Why people pay a dealer nearly $1000 to deface their beautiful Airstreams with that inept Fiamma rack, I don't know… If I wanted something that ugly, I could better hack-saw that contraption out of the discarded aluminum lawnchairs on my scrap-metal pile, in about thirty minutes. Front or rear trailer-mount bike racks are an unfortunate compromise. I'll never scab one onto my Airstream.

A couple of rubber burning, Electric Bikes, I built for us ol' curmudgeons…

The candy on these Electric Bicycles include:
Chris King, KooKa, AC Metric, Phil, Michelin, Campagnolo, Avid, Continental, Heinzmann, RockShox SID, Hayes, Brooks, Thompson, FOX, Cane Creek, HUTCH, Sun, Magura, DT Swiss, Mongoose, DK, Marzocchi... Kevlar tire liners and thorn-proof tubes.

Trek Y... 33 pounds, Klein Mantra… 36 pounds.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0177.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	320.6 KB
ID:	329704   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0178.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	329705  

Name:	FRONTKLEIN.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	336.0 KB
ID:	329706  
ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:54 AM   #34
Owners of Willie

2019 27' Globetrotter
Peoria , Illinois
Bike Rack for Heavy e-Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWind View Post
Bike Friday folding bikes with electric pedal assist system are probably the lightest offering. The system can be fitted to their touring bikes.

I carry two of their touring bikes (28 pounds each) on an Airstream designed Fiamma carrier (75 pound capacity). If the battery is easily removable from the pedal assist equipped bike, you could most likely use the Fiamma.

As with their touring bikes, it takes time and effort to fold and stow them so using the carrier would be best.

If you must have a pedal assist electric bike, the Bike Fridays just might be the best solution.

https://www.bikefriday.com/folding-b...ystem-overview.

If you put bikes on the back of your AS using the Fiamma rack, can you still open the bumper storage? Or do you have to take the bikes off first?
Old 01-21-2019, 09:25 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
We wanted to bring our bikes and had the same kind of issues you are going through. We realized the only area available was the bed of the truck. To keep our other gear dry, we knew we would need a cap for the bed. To get to all our stuff, we added a bedslide.

Here is our system that works very well, is secure, and holds the bikes solidly in the bed. Works for us. Since the video, I reversed the bike so the front of the bike is pointing toward the rear. Makes it easier to remove the bikes from the bed.

https://youtu.be/hZvCMYshNwM

Link to our shared album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/wACfGg1KcroVLP5m6
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:29 AM   #36
Owners of Willie

2019 27' Globetrotter
Peoria , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
We wanted to bring our bikes and had the same kind of issues you are going through. We realized the only area available was the bed of the truck. To keep our other gear dry, we knew we would need a cap for the bed. To get to all our stuff, we added a bedslide.

Here is our system that works very well, is secure, and holds the bikes solidly in the bed. Works for us. Since the video, I reversed the bike so the front of the bike is pointing toward the rear. Makes it easier to remove the bikes from the bed.

https://youtu.be/hZvCMYshNwM

Cost with labor included?
Old 01-21-2019, 09:57 AM   #37
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriciahawk View Post
If you put bikes on the back of your AS using the Fiamma rack, can you still open the bumper storage? Or do you have to take the bikes off first?
When I installed my Flamma rack I had to trim the sides of the bumper storage lid as it rubbed the bike rack. With that small adjustment, the bumper lid now easily opens.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:36 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriciahawk View Post
Cost with labor included?

Probably about $1400 for the bedslide and another $2200 for the cap.

Old 01-21-2019, 04:48 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Turk, that’s pretty awesome. I really like the little storage boxes at the end of the slide and how the bikes are at the edges of the slide. Very slick.

Biking is pretty important to me (I used to do a lot of self-supported bicycle touring and was at one point a bike mechanic) and only slightly less important to everyone else in my family. For our extended journey next year I purchased four folding bikes. Technically I purchased three and am waiting to see how tall my youngest is before we set off next year to buy the fourth. My hope is that we all end up with the same size bike. We don’t do the e-bike thing yet but folding e-bikes are not hard to find (I saw them all over the place in Europe this winter).

It takes about 30 seconds to collapse them into their storage bags and they sit four-across the front of the truck bed (under a cap). The bags keep the grime off other things in the bed and also keep them more hidden. They take up about a third of the bed. It’s pretty easy to grab them with a pole and pull them to the tailgate. Or the kids can climb up and go get them
Old 01-21-2019, 06:27 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
My bikes are folding also. I found that it is harder to fold the bikes and then put them into the truck than to just lift them and roll them back.