Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2021, 05:11 PM   #1

2013 23' International
Manistee , Michigan
Bike Rack

I have a 2013 23' International which I bought used with a Flamma bike rack. We are planning on buying electric bikes. The weight capacity on the Flamma rack is 77 lbs. I will be over that by about 10 pounds with the electric bikes after removing the batteries. Does anyone have any experience in transporting electric bikes with the Flamma bike rack or any suggestions? Thanks.
KaufmanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 05:30 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

It is debatable if even running the rack "at limit" is a good idea. AS trailers really are not designed for putting weight on the rear bumper.

What can happen?

1) Rear end separation. This is not normally an issue on smaller trailers that *don't* have a rack.

2) Increased tendency to sway. This s a complicated one. Your hitch, tow vehicle, and loading elsewhere all get into it ....

So not a "no" but at the very least a "be really careful".

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 06:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I have a Flamma bike rack on my 27FB never had sway with two bikes. Standard mountain bikes, probably close to 70 lbs together.

I did experience the dreaded Flamma bike rack failure. The upper bracket thats screwed into the trailer fails (snaps and breaks) where the metal pin used to make a pivot point to the short arm that is holding the frame to the trailer. The fail is when the short arm slides down on the frame about 1/2" causing a unexpected torque force to be applied to the pin when bikes are loaded ultimately causing failure of the part screwed into the trailer. I found a simple fix is to wrap duct tape around the frame, fattening it up, denying the short arm the opportunity to slide downward.

Not necessarily an answer to your question of overloading the bike rack. Maybe take the seats off the bikes too to get the weight down.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 07:41 PM   #4
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I remember the older car bike racks would have a strap that went from the top of the rack to the trunk lip or roof gutter to help support and steady the rack from bouncing. Perhaps that would help the Flamma rack. Also remove the batteries for weight reduction.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 11:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
It is my opinion that the Fiamma bike rack is an under built over priced POC.

Mike
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 01:31 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
We have a larger trailer with that rack, I personally would not trust it over 50lbs combined or so. We also have two ebikes and first just put the bike rack on the front of the truck and then later had a receiver made up and welded to the rear of the airstream and now mount the rack there. Don’t use the fiamme.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 01:12 PM   #7

2013 23' International
Manistee , Michigan
Thanks for the responses. We have decided to leave the bikes at home for our annual cross country trip. They are mainly for home use. Being able to take them with us on a trip would have been an added use but we have plenty of other things to do while on the road.
KaufmanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 01:22 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
El Paso , Texas
that's a good choice. We suffered a catastropic thule rack failure last year on a speed bump (and we were travelling slowly!). Fortunately nobody was injured. I suspect the problem is that the racks are too rigid. Incorporation of springs & shock absorbers might make a big difference.
Eric F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 06:49 AM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
that's a good choice. We suffered a catastropic thule rack failure last year on a speed bump (and we were travelling slowly!). Fortunately nobody was injured. I suspect the problem is that the racks are too rigid. Incorporation of springs & shock absorbers might make a big difference.
Hi

There are good reasons a number of these racks have a "not for RV use" disclaimer buried back on page 281 in the manual.

If you really want to know how your rack is doing, have somebody else drive the rig down a normal road (twists / turns / potholes / hills ...) and watch it from the rear. I suppose in this modern age somebody could follow you running a camera ...

If your rack looks anything like roughly half the ones I chug along behind .... yikes .... Things are flying all over the place. It's no surprise they fail / damage bikes. I talked to a few folks about what was going on. None of them were interested. At that point I stopped mentioning it .....

Bob
Old 09-24-2021, 07:36 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
It is my opinion that the Fiamma bike rack is an under built over priced POC.

Mike

I have nothing to contribute to this thread but thank you for being the first to spell Fiamma correctly. [emoji6][emoji23]
Gotta_Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 08:42 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Torklift central in Kent WA installed a receiver hitch on my trailer that should hold our ebikes. We will use it next week for the first time. I’ll review it here after use.

Mike
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 11:41 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
El Paso , Texas
Paradoxically, when bouncing down a highway, flopping around can be superior to too stable.

Years ago, a colleague in our mechanical engineering dept who used to design factories for GM explained to me how bouncy structures are frequently stronger because resisting bounce can create extreme stress and frequently leads to catastrophic failures.

Since our sloop was towed by our Westie's rear hitch, we were in a great (and horrifying) position to watch our front-mounted Thule bike rack collapse without any warning that it was over-stressed.

The Thule bike rack was an upgrade from the $70 rack that carried our bikes for years. Unlike the bouncy cheapie rack, the Thule rack held our bikes steady and bounce-free until we hit a topa de velocidad (speed bump) in Puerto Penasco Mx at maybe 5 MPH. The Thule just sheared at its pivot and the bikes tumbled.

Fortunately the Thule was our only loss and the bikes rode safely (but not so conveniently) in our boat for the rest of the trip.
Eric F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 06:25 AM   #13
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Paradoxically, when bouncing down a highway, flopping around can be superior to too stable.

Years ago, a colleague in our mechanical engineering dept who used to design factories for GM explained to me how bouncy structures are frequently stronger because resisting bounce can create extreme stress and frequently leads to catastrophic failures.

Since our sloop was towed by our Westie's rear hitch, we were in a great (and horrifying) position to watch our front-mounted Thule bike rack collapse without any warning that it was over-stressed.

The Thule bike rack was an upgrade from the $70 rack that carried our bikes for years. Unlike the bouncy cheapie rack, the Thule rack held our bikes steady and bounce-free until we hit a topa de velocidad (speed bump) in Puerto Penasco Mx at maybe 5 MPH. The Thule just sheared at its pivot and the bikes tumbled.

Fortunately the Thule was our only loss and the bikes rode safely (but not so conveniently) in our boat for the rest of the trip.
Hi

When the bikes are flopping around enough to move out from the back the RV and into traffic .... that's an issue ....

Bob
Old 09-25-2021, 07:06 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:

Yes the bouncy theory is why I now just tie the bikes to a rope and drag them down the highway. They get a bit scratched up but the bouncing keeps them in 100 percent perfect mechanical condition. I’m considering a pattern. The Bouncy Paradox Bike Rack.
I also advocate for inflating Airstream tires a minimum of 10% over max. If it’s not getting airborne on speed bumps then it ain’t enough is my motto.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote