Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Bumpers & Bumper Storage
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-29-2018, 08:09 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1970 25' Caravanner
Incline Village , Nevada
RFP. Consider us vintage (1970 Caravanner). Plenty of existing threads on rear floor rot and bumper box leak which is where we "borrowed" this fix, but ours was not an obvious leak issue. Just thought would address while was knee deep in renovation.

Believe problem to be water running off rear end cap and collecting on that flat surface that is the bumper box. It then travels under outer skin and first thing it encounters is a nice piece of water absorbent plywood. Do that over and over and you get rot. Our solution. Take out plywood and replace with rot proof Coosa. Now have installed this flashing so water will have to route differently.
Jeremy9107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:25 AM   #22
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy9107 View Post
RFP. Consider us vintage (1970 Caravanner). Plenty of existing threads on rear floor rot and bumper box leak which is where we "borrowed" this fix, but ours was not an obvious leak issue. Just thought would address while was knee deep in renovation.

Believe problem to be water running off rear end cap and collecting on that flat surface that is the bumper box. It then travels under outer skin and first thing it encounters is a nice piece of water absorbent plywood. Do that over and over and you get rot. Our solution. Take out plywood and replace with rot proof Coosa. Now have installed this flashing so water will have to route differently.
Thanks for your reply, and accept my apology for my lame attempted hijack of this thread. My concern seems valid in what's-left-of-my-mind... reports of Airstream "fixing" the problem in, or around, 2012 is either true or it isn't, and, if it's true, it either works or it doesn't. I'm still confused (not exactly a news flash!).

Rob

Fortune Cookie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57663633667345

"The Black Swan": https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:48 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
LAFAYETTE , Colorado
I have a side question. After the job is complete what adhesive should be used to attach the vinyl/rubber strip back to the bumper guard rail.
TYSON PECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:54 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The older trailers have a strip that goes in a slot and it does not require glue. I don't like the new trailer design with a glue in strip that is probably intended to be a one time use item and expensive I am sure. I don't know if weather strip adhesive would work well or not. Panel adhesive might be an option. Not sure how maintenance friendly either would be if you need to remove and replace. You could probably replace with the old channel if you wanted to be able to remove the trim periodically.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote